First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bishopclimber

Oct 15, 2003, 4:04 AM
Post #1 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Y this site is scary. . . . .
Report this Post
Can't Post

because you've got a bunch of noobs/wannabees telling other noobs/wannabees how to climb and set anchors; and what's up with the people with hundreds of posts? are they posers or do they really climb?

maculated

Oct 15, 2003, 4:13 AM
Post #2 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Re: Y this site is scary. . . . . [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You are totally right. I am going to contribute to this post because it is true.

Hundreds of posts, however, come from hundreds of educated questions and fielding such questions in turn. As well as a little smartass comment once in a while.

If it were not for this site, I would not have met as many good and knowledgeable people to teach me what I was learning off this site was bad news. Information can be a good thing and a bad thing. Most of us know when to not allow certain questions the benefit of an answer (soloing, rope sololing, etc).

Some of us don't benefit from being in an established climbing crowd and thus can get educated opinions from those you are able to establish as being, indeed, educated. If some people cannot figure out how to filter out their answers, that is their own fault. I have been out and seen climbers who have learned from, "a guy at the gym," "my boyscout troop leader," "on my own," who were doing some terrible stuff and a trip around this site would have yielded some excellent advice.

The person that wrote "Rockclimbing for Dummies" is just as scary as some of the newbie posers on this site, but that person doesn't benefit from the railing the experienced people will give them.

I've thought about this all before. I spend a lot of time on the Internet when I could spend it climbing, but I spend a lot more of it climbing thanks to the contacts I make on the Internet . . .

jonf

Oct 15, 2003, 4:15 AM
Post #3 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
because you've got a bunch of noobs/wannabees telling other noobs/wannabees how to climb and set anchors; and what's up with the people with hundreds of posts? are they posers or do they really climb?

a grade A example of a climber that I never want to meet at any cliff, crag or boulderfield.

do I sense elitism....yes
do I sense unfriendliness...yup
do I sense an attitude that would ruin the good feelings during any climbing session...most definitely

valeberga

Oct 15, 2003, 4:16 AM
Post #4 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This may be a little off-topic, but bishopclimber has reportedly sent the first T11a, which has yet to be verified. His accomplishment has caused a lot of controversy, because he was talking a lot of smack about it and may have headpointed, by rapping down to check it out before committing, and other reports from T-wannabees say he bolted on some plastic. Only time will tell wether or not it deserves the T11a rating, or is just another ordinary T9-T10. In the meantime expect bishopclimber's comments to be met with greater antipathy, while challengers attempt to top his send with their own T11's. Safe to say the forum will never be the same.

maculated

Oct 15, 2003, 4:25 AM
Post #5 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, I know it is a troll, but the point is there. Look up user: "Bolt Dude."

I have heard lots of stuff about how this website should not be around. I have countered it as much as I feel neccessary, but the sentiment is out there.

We don't all do things the same way. Most people I know who do detract from this site are fortunate enough to be ensconced in a climbing community, which I think many of us lack. Unless you're eating, sleeping, breathing climbing, you don't pick up nearly as much info as you will here. So long as you are discriminatory.

onelung

Post #6 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Lets see here, in your 30 days here you posted 59x's.....are you including yourself here? Your going at a faster pace than I.
Sure there is some truth to what your saying.....noobs are going to spray and let em. I am not one to stand in the way of evolution and if an idiot is going to kill oneself , I just hope hope we got em before he/she had offspring.

In defense of the site, there are some great TR's, photos and lessons to be learned by such a huge community coming together.....
now hold my hand and sing along.....

Its all good,
bill

neeshman

Post #7 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going to have to agree with jonf here, as well as you bishopclimber. Yes there is alot of crap thrown out around here. But do you actually expect people to go 100% off what they read??? You've got to give people WAY more credit than that.

I see alot of bad posts on this site, but I know that I would not go straight from this site to the crag and try something out before I got some real firsthand opinions, explanations and demonstrations. Ands thats only after I understood the subject to the best of my abilities.

And if someone goes and just tries $hit without looking into it then honestly I dont think it's anyones fault if something happens to them. Obviously this sport can be fatal if even the slightest mistake is made. The people participating SHOULD know this and act accordingly. That's one (neesh)mans opinion. :D :D :D

Partner tim

Oct 15, 2003, 4:29 AM
Post #8 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
because you've got a bunch of noobs/wannabees telling other noobs/wannabees how to climb and set anchors

We are scouting for the Darwin Awards; this is all just an elaborate setup for the Most Brutal Air Rappels series we plan to film at the next Gathering

soma

Oct 15, 2003, 4:31 AM
Post #9 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And if someone goes and just tries $hit without looking into it then honestly I dont think it's anyones fault if something happens to them. Obviously this sport can be fatal if even the slightest mistake is made. The people participating SHOULD know this and act accordingly. That's one (neesh)mans opinion. :D :D :D

Perhaps idiocy is not their fault?

Dave

maculated

Oct 15, 2003, 4:33 AM
Post #10 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The age old question: did society fail or did common sense? Or does society teach common sense? ACK!

bandycoot

Oct 15, 2003, 4:37 AM
Post #11 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have hundreds of posts, not so much because I'm a poser but because I WORK. :roll: Work just results in many posts as many people here can attest I'm sure... :D

kman

Oct 15, 2003, 4:39 AM
Post #12 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qoute:

In reply to:
Lets see here, in your 30 days here you posted 59x's.....are you including yourself here?

:lol: way to call him out on that one. I for one have acumulated so many posts by spending my work breaks on here for the past 2 years :lol:
Your right though about there being alot of people answering questions that probably shouldn't be. Generally, the bad / dangerous advice is pounced on pretty quickly. I have found that this site is great for finding climbing partners and I like to look at peoples climbing pics.

soma

Oct 15, 2003, 4:39 AM
Post #13 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The age old question: did society fail or did common sense? Or does society teach common sense? ACK!

If, you are (to do/be) only about half the influense of your genes?

How often does that, which we call society fail??

Dave

PS "Age old" questions are the most important ones because we (humans) have know something is wrong for a long time.

kman

Oct 15, 2003, 4:43 AM
Post #14 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qoute:

In reply to:
there are things more important than climbing. Mainly, sailing, regattas and other events. I spend most of my summer weekends on a boat, racing/crewing. And that's what's important to me.

:lol: and your calling us posers :?: http://www.smilies.okipages.com/s/otn/funny/moon.gif

bishopclimber

Oct 15, 2003, 4:46 AM
Post #15 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh, I know it is a troll, but the point is there. Look up user: "Bolt Dude."
Kristin,
I know you've been around(and I don't mean it that way) and probably know who Bolt Dude is. Maybe you haven't climbed with him, but I think you know his connections. All I'm saying is that he is right in his concerns regarding this site. I mean look for yourself at the various topics posted.
75% are lame.
some of you think I'm trolling, but I'm not.
some of you wouldn't climb with me. that's fine, I have climbing partners, and to be honest would hesitate to climb with the majority of the people here.
BTW, Boltdude can outclimb 95% of us.
:shock:

k9rocko

Oct 15, 2003, 5:03 AM
Post #16 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bishopclimber:

I would like to bear my testimony. I know this website is true.......

... because we have the bishop here to tell us when the newbs are getting out of control. Even when someone should have broken his fingerslong ago....

I know the EDK is safe for rappels, and better if tied with really short tails. I know that marking my rope in the middle with a 'nick' is better than magic marker, but only if your name is Peter Parker. I know that an attentive belayer isn't neccesary if you use a gri-gri. Why equalize when you can rapell from a fifi. I know all bolts are bomber, especially next to cracks. Retrobolting other people's routes is a blast, now I can climb them fast.

ok, none of what I said is true...... but all of it was for you!! If you were dumb enough to take my advice, I can only hope you would pay the price.

Otherwise, any advice I give is good...... that is because I really care. I have saved a couple of keisters on the crag. On the list, there are a couple of people I have called a fag.... Not to say I am a mean guy, but for folks like you..... I'll give it a try!!

I say this in the domain name of RC.com.... And that's it !!

Save your sermons for sunday..... and I will withold the sacreligious sarcasm.....

maculated

Oct 15, 2003, 5:11 AM
Post #17 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe you haven't climbed with him, but I think you know his connections. All I'm saying is that he is right in his concerns regarding this site. I mean look for yourself at the various topics posted.
75% are lame.

I was pointing out Greg's profile because I was saying you weren't alone in your sentiments. I do know of him and it surprises me I never crossed paths with him, and you speak the truth. That was the point of my post.

And what *I* am saying is that he is, to a degree, right in his concerns. And you're right 75% ARE lame. But, trust me, 75% of conversations around a Camp 4 campfire are lame. Once in a while, a voice in the darkness speaks the truth, and the rest of us muddle around until we find that voice.

maculated

Oct 15, 2003, 5:14 AM
Post #18 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Otherwise, any advice I give is good...... that is because I really care. I have saved a couple of keisters on the crag.

Actually, this is the point. You THINK your advice is good and it may not be. That's where the forums come in handy. The rest of us who think our advice is good will call you on it when it is not.

There's a reason my nickname is maculated, lest you forget. Nobody is infallible.

curt

Oct 15, 2003, 5:20 AM
Post #19 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This site is absolutely full of threads where the blind are trying to lead the blind. Posters with nearly zero knowledge and/or experience are spraying their opinions as though they are fact. I sincerely hope that most readers of these posts are astute enough to consider the source of this "wisdom" and discount it accordingly.

Curt

tenn_dawg

Oct 15, 2003, 5:31 AM
Post #20 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This site is absolutely full of threads where the blind are trying to lead the blind. Posters with nearly zero knowledge and/or experience are spraying their opinions as though they are fact. I sincerely hope that most readers of these posts are astute enough to consider the source of this "wisdom" and discount it accordingly.

Curt

Yep. Case in point, there is a user of this site who I am good friends with in real life. This user has an incredibly small ammount of climbing knowledge, but comments on technical questions posed to this site on a regular basis.

Every time I read one of their responces to a technical question, I shake my head and say, "You don't KNOW THAT!". I can only imagine that there are hundreds if not thousands more users who are ever less experienced who spew forth the BS like it's fact.

The saving grace is that there are some members here who are incredibly talented climbers, with a wealth of information, history, and knowledge. They are in the minority...the VAST minority, but their presence and contributions outweigh those of the "tragically inexperienced" 10 fold.

Thanks y'all. You know who you are.

Travis

bishopclimber

Oct 15, 2003, 5:39 AM
Post #21 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Maybe you haven't climbed with him, but I think you know his connections. All I'm saying is that he is right in his concerns regarding this site. I mean look for yourself at the various topics posted.
75% are lame.

I was pointing out Greg's profile because I was saying you weren't alone in your sentiments. I do know of him and it surprises me I never crossed paths with him, and you speak the truth. That was the point of my post.

Kristin, you seem to be pretty cool thanks for the comments.
btw, I met Greg last year in RR (before he started posting here). super nice guy.

neeshman

Oct 15, 2003, 5:59 AM
Post #22 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Dave

Perhaps Idiocy is what gets people killed in this sport?
(Along with bad advice from some people I absolutely agree.)

But as a participant it is your job to decide what advice is good, and which is bad. Thats the case in all sports. If you are stretching before a race and some dude told you not too stretch out AT ALL for some reason cause stretching is counter-productive, would you listen to him? HELLO NO! Thats bad advice, and if you don't stretch then you will most likely get hurt.

But this is not a running race. This is a matter of total personal safety. Life and death. Bad advice can kill you (which is obviously the point), but it comes from everywhere. You need to find out which advice is bad and which is good. And like others have said, the wise quickly drown out the newbs at this site.

climbsomething

Oct 15, 2003, 6:04 AM
Post #23 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, why not enlighten us all with the correct answers, then?

jono

Oct 15, 2003, 6:16 AM
Post #24 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

meh, i have over 1000 posts. i post when i am avoiding homework like right now (bio exam). does my post count mean i am a loser...yes. does it mean i am a poser/n00b.....no.

bandycoot

Oct 15, 2003, 6:36 AM
Post #25 of 50 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing isn't something that is regulated. That means that there are a lot of "truths" out there floating around. This means that it may take a forum such as this web site to debunk those myths. This web site is a constructive learning ground, and if anyone applies techniques learned here without thinking them through or testing them on the ground then they are dumber than someone posting the erroneous information. If that person didn't post the information and was corrected then maybe they would never have learned a better and safer way. It's all part of a learning process. It would be great if everyone knew everything, but they don't. And so it goes...

Josh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook