http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/special_reports/polygamy/index.html

hangerlessbolt

Oct 16, 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #2 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mormans Rape Children? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

how old are the girls who are being married?

Partner camhead

Oct 16, 2003, 10:56 PM
Post #3 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...you dumb fukk.

how many times do I have to say it... Polygamists are NOT members of the LDS church (mormons). haven't been since the early 1900s. It's way easy to find shit to criticize the church for, but this is not it. do your homework beyond the media, and you just may find something, beeawtch.

Partner philbox

Oct 16, 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #4 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of those headlines had me a bit worried. "Polygamists Probed", I aint never gunna be a polygamist cos I never wanna be probed. I hope they were wearing rubber gloves, iggghhh.

caughtinside

Oct 16, 2003, 11:05 PM
Post #5 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heh heh. You seem a bit testy there, camhead.

Here's my question: Are the polygamists holding themselves out to be mormon, whether or not they are official members of the church?

Just curious :P

wishiwaswest

Oct 16, 2003, 11:36 PM
Post #6 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer.

Partner camhead

Oct 17, 2003, 3:05 AM
Post #7 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

various fundamentalist sects out there. one of them based out of Ephraim actually has the title "true and living church of jesus christ of latter day saints."

so yeah, they think they're carrying on the true faith. so do members of the religion that broke off in 1844 based on a succession issue, so do a few members that broke off following Godbey in the 1850s, etc.

my point is that the young guys you see riding bike with white shirts and clip on ties are not representatives of a polygamist cult.

sorry, I just get annoyed when I see people picking on the religion based upon innaccuracies. 19th century mormonism was a separatist enough cult to amass a hell of a reputation as being way "out there." the history of the 20th century church has been to establish itself as your average right winged religion, while at the same time maintaining its credibility as a church that has always relied up0on direct revelation and prophecy.

as I said before, if you want to bash the 20th century church, there are thousands of ways to do it legitimately. accusations of current polygamy, however, are not one of them. get your fukking facts straight.

mike_hunt

Oct 18, 2003, 4:21 AM
Post #8 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are currently a number of LDS "factions" that DO support polygamy. The mainstream LDS has distanced themselves from these factions, but one cannot expect "laymen" to understand. Just three years ago there was a major scandal in Salt Lake City, when it turned out that the head of their school district, and a MAINSTREAM LDS member, was a polygamist. There are "pockets" all over Utah where polygamy is still the soup de jour. To deny this is foolishness.

The LDS powers that be are doing everything they can (spending $$$$) on PR to counter the common perception that all Mormons are polygamists. Having lived amoung the herds I can say, either way, polygamists or not, they are one scary, vaccuous, ill-intentioned, anti-intellectual group, that has it as their goal to convert as many as possible.

The only sincere hope for the rest of humanity is that L Ron Hubbard and his minions can keep them in check. :wink:

the_pirate

Oct 18, 2003, 7:12 AM
Post #9 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was a member of an LSD faction for a while. Thought for sure the guy behind the tent had sold me bunk so I ate the entire strip. About an hour later things started getting serious. I was holding it together pretty well until the girl with the balloons tied to her dress rolled over and popped two to them. You can't imagine the fear that shoots through you when you think that a girl just popped her tits.

watersprite

Oct 18, 2003, 7:19 AM
Post #10 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and LSD faction! do you remember organic shrooms? chocolate mescaline? .the stuff.d.r.e.a.m.s .a.r.e .m.a.d.e. o.f..

granitegod

Oct 18, 2003, 3:34 PM
Post #11 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, Camhead, you are correct that the LDS church, or "THE CHURCH", as you refer to it in one message, DOES NOT condone polygamy, nor of course child molestation.

However, here are some facts that even you might have a hard time arguing against. One: Utah government is dominated by male members of the LDS Church. Two: Until recently (the last 2 to 3 years) the State of Utah had not prosecuted a single polygamist for bygamy for decades. Only in the last few years have the polygs received alot of media attention for the rampant child sexual abuse practiced by forced "marriage" of teenage girls to middle aged men. Tom Green, the Kingston's..... they are the only the tip of the Iceberg. Why has the state of Utah ignored this for so long? Could it be because the LDS Church thought they could ignore it, and avoid negative publicity about our pretty, great state, and avoid the inevitable questions about their own polygamous past?

Recent statements and actions by the Utah Attorney General suggest that the state may be moving away from tolerance of polygamy. Lets hope so. It is time to enforce the state constitution, prosecute sex offenders hiding behind the shield of religion, and stop the abuse of state welfare system resulting from the rampant reproduction of polygamists.

granitegod

Oct 18, 2003, 3:36 PM
Post #12 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry..... This is a CLIMBING website right?

I love Mormons. Actually, I married one. The LDS church is great.

I really appreciate them letting me climb on their rocks in Little Cottonwood Canyon, too. Thanks, President Hinckley, you da man!

crackaddict

Oct 18, 2003, 4:23 PM
Post #13 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well here we go again.

Sheesh!!! Guys! Like camhead said do a little homework.

Quit living in the dark ages.

marks

Oct 19, 2003, 3:55 PM
Post #14 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are mormans those religious wierdos that always where black and drive around in horse and carts

watersprite

Oct 19, 2003, 5:52 PM
Post #15 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you're thinking of the Amish - in Pennsylvania - the Mormons church started in SLC but they're everywhere. You probably know some Latter Day Saints - that's what they prefer to be called. They have a bible that is a ripoff of the Old Testament. a silly religion, really but they are very family oriented. They will give a church member a loan or food or a house. It's good to have Mormon friends because they always have a year's supply of food in the house.

alpinerock

Oct 20, 2003, 3:01 AM
Post #16 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you're thinking of the Amish - in Pennsylvania - the Mormons church started in SLC but they're everywhere. You probably know some Latter Day Saints - that's what they prefer to be called. They have a bible that is a ripoff of the Old Testament. a silly religion, really but they are very family oriented. They will give a church member a loan or food or a house. It's good to have Mormon friends because they always have a year's supply of food in the house.

Before u bash the LDS religion, plz get your facts right. For one the church was started in palmyra new york, not SLC. For another, the book of mormon(this is what i'm assuming u were talking about when you said that they have a bible that is a ripoff...)talks about the ancient americans, not the israelites.

also, the church has a zero-tolerance of polygamists, any known polygamists, are ex-communicated, and reported to the proper authoritys.

crackaddict

Oct 20, 2003, 3:54 AM
Post #17 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Before u bash the LDS religion, plz get your facts right. For one the church was started in palmyra new york, not SLC. For another, the book of mormon(this is what i'm assuming u were talking about when you said that they have a bible that is a ripoff...)talks about the ancient americans, not the israelites.

also, the church has a zero-tolerance of polygamists, any known polygamists, are ex-communicated, and reported to the proper authoritys.

I would like to add to alpines comment.
The part about the Old Testament rip off. The LDS church belives in the Old Testement as well as the New Testament of the King James Version of the Bible. The same version that the Catholic church uses as well as a lot of Christain churches use. The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. It is a history account of ancient americans. Not a Bible rip off.
Just had to set the records straight here.
For more information and if you would like to learn more about the beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints check out www.lds.org
Here is the Church's view on
polygamy.

youmeanupthere

Oct 20, 2003, 4:53 AM
Post #18 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Utah and I know a lot of mormons personally. I myself am not mormon. I drink, I smoke, I have sex before marriage. My personal experience shows me that mormons are not that different from the norm (on the conservative side). The only thing I see that is really different is that more mormons follow their beliefs more closely than a lot of other people (and I am not just talking religious beliefs). That is just having convictions. I have never met a mormon that engages in polygamy or rape as a part of religious practice. The practice of polygamy is obsolete. It may have been prominenet 100 yrs ago but I'm sure if you examined any major religion you would find "different behaviors" 100 yrs ago. The mormon church does influence local politics and law making/enforcement and that is a problem that requires attention but it isn't unbearable. Women have a legitimate complaint about their place in the religion but that is true of many religions. The "missionaries" are kind of annoying but completely harmless if you have your own convictions. So I can't get a beer at 2 in the morning. It's probably better I don't have another. It's pretty slanderous to call someone a rapist when your facts are all fu#@$ up.

rock_diva

Oct 20, 2003, 5:35 AM
Post #19 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Note to youmeanupthere:

Thanks for your comments... they are much appreciated. It's nice to have someone explain Mormons as they really are.

jono

Oct 20, 2003, 5:39 AM
Post #20 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mormon= not a religion. look it up.

Partner camhead

Oct 20, 2003, 6:10 AM
Post #21 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GEE WHIZ WHAT AN OH SO INFORMATIVE THREAD WE HAVE HERE!!!

hangerlessbolt

Oct 20, 2003, 6:35 AM
Post #22 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey paul...you wouldn't mind summarizing it for me would you...

watersprite

Oct 20, 2003, 7:27 AM
Post #23 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can do it -
the angel Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith in a cave, that right? and dictated a "bible" that fits like a template over the Old Testament book. the names and locations are changed, but you can't miss the similarity or the hokiness. come on, the angel -Moroni???

hangerlessbolt

Oct 20, 2003, 7:31 AM
Post #24 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LoL...

Yeah...someone could've come up with a better more believable name doncha think?

the_pirate

Oct 20, 2003, 2:37 PM
Post #25 of 53 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I knew a Moroni in high school. Heavy juicer. Someone made a comment one day about him looking a little bigger and he flipped out and beat up half the baseball team. Took four cops to get him in the cruiser.

Probably not the same guy though...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook