Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Anyone climb here?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

steelerami

Jul 24, 2001, 9:29 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Anyone climb here?  (North_America: United_States: Tennessee: Central: Kings_Bluff)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am planning on scouting out this area, probably this upcoming weekend if I can borrow some quickdraws. If not, it will have to be in late August. Do any of the members climb this bluff? I would love to get some feedback and perhaps some help, since I am just getting started climbing.

Bobby

ctclimber

Jul 26, 2001, 2:50 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Anyone climb here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would also like some info on it. I'm going up there to climb over labor day, but i would like to know a little more about it.

theamish

Feb 4, 2002, 11:44 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We went to this location 02-04-2002 and all we found was a new chain link fence, a padlocked gate with barbed wire all over it, and a large sign that said "NO TRESPASSING". We went home.

burz

Sep 9, 2002, 6:00 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I e-mailed someone with the Memphis Mountaineers Climbing Club and they said that the area is leased by the Clarksville Climbing Club and a combination to a padlock is needed to get into the climbing area. I'm having problems contacting the Clarksville Climbing Club though. Can anyone help?

burz

Sep 11, 2002, 1:10 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went by there yesterday and the fences and signs are still up. It looks like it will be more accesible soon though. Look at the article below I took from the SCC website...

Kings Bluff To Be In SCC Hands.
(06-03-2002)

While many climbers in the South don’t know much about Kings Bluff in Clarksville, TN is pretty special to the area. It is a limestone bluff overlooking the Cumberland River and is 30-60 feet on average. There are about 150-200 routes there, which is the largest crag for about 2.5 hours in any direction. It has had a rough history due to the local population trashing the place that has caused the owners and neighbors to close it down intermittently. Due to the hard work of local climbers and the INCREDIBLE generosity of the landowners, it looks like it will be donated to the SCC! At one time the lots above the bluffs were to be turned into high-end residential lots valued at $60,000 or so apiece. There are 5 lots left as well as the road/cul-de-sac and it looks like all of this will be donated to the SCC to manage and preserve.
We recently had an informative meeting at North Cumberland Outfitters in Clarksville to "rally the troops" so to speak on the issues at hand. If we were not able to work out an agreement with the owners, the crag was to be closed by June due to liability issues. The climbers came together and pledged $4500 on the spot to help acquire the land. The SCC and Access Fund both stepped in to help and found the owners willing to donate to an organization such as the SCC.
So, now the SCC will be in possession of Boatrock and King's Bluff in Clarksville and one of our members is working on purchasing much of Sandrock. There is a lot for us to do as an organization as we move into the arena of land acquisition and management.
Thanks to all the climbers from the Clarksville climbers club as well as Arno Ilgner, Doyle Parsons and especially Joey Redman and other locals for their continued involvement with the landowners. This would have never been possible if they had not built a relationship and shown what kind of people climbers are.

qacwac

Sep 11, 2002, 2:23 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey everybody. The area is in the hands of the SEC and open to climbing. The lock is theirs.

I forgot the combination from when I went up a couple weeks ago, but it is no problem to get from a friend of mine.

If you want to climb there you are also supposed to go by one of the outdoor stores in Clarksville and get a pass (it's free) and you can get the combination from then also.

Hope this helps.

[ This Message was edited by: qacwac on 2002-09-11 07:37 ]

vikasshah

Oct 30, 2002, 7:09 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The land was bought (or put into a landtrust, not sure of the exact legal status) by the SCC very recently. This has been followed by some nice work on the access trail. There's now a stairway to get down to the trail at the cliffline. The padlock and fence will stay up - it was put there to prevent dumping, not to keep out climbers. Give me a call at 615-297-9423 if you want the combination, I'm more than happy to give it out to climbers (hell, I may even join you, I've been having trouble finding climbing partners).

Vikas

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook