Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

curt

Nov 6, 2003, 12:27 AM
Post #26 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Re: JTREe beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can actually take a class from Jim Birdwell or.......
or even from Jim Bridwell. Haha.

Curt

xcire

Nov 6, 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #27 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for those posting info

In a half an hour i have learned

All stolen lunch money goes toward beer
jtree i not somewhere for me to get my second lead
it will be cold
make sure im safe(i new this)
Jay is actually a good guy(they tell me)
quite asking so many questions
there is no replacement for some climbing books

and most of all i will still have fun and continue to become a better climber in Jtree

Post officially closed

thank you all

esoteric1

Nov 6, 2003, 12:43 AM
Post #28 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stick to disneyland you noooob!

hello_heino

Nov 6, 2003, 12:54 AM
Post #29 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And well protected 9 sport routes?

Great line. Very funny.

In reply to:
where would you go if you were me

No comment.

bandycoot

Nov 6, 2003, 12:55 AM
Post #30 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fine, assuming it's not a troll. I really liked Dog Day Afternoon in/near Hall of Horrors. It is a 10b and requires either a set of nuts or a small/medium cam for a single placement near the top, or a huge set of cajones if you want to run it out that far over a tricky move. The rest of it is bolts with a rappel bolted anchor. I liked the route a lot and recommend it!

mreardon

Nov 6, 2003, 1:21 AM
Post #31 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plan on toproping a lot to get used to the area. New and old get schooled on a regular basis there. And remember, ratings don't mean anything, otherwise you'll set yourself up for a lot fo frustration.

moabbeth

Nov 6, 2003, 1:52 AM
Post #32 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Plan on toproping a lot to get used to the area. New and old get schooled on a regular basis there. And remember, ratings don't mean anything, otherwise you'll set yourself up for a lot fo frustration.

Amen to that last line, especially in Josh. You can cruise a 5.9 then go get your ass schooled on a 5.7.

Hey mikey, where were ya last weekend?

jt512

Nov 6, 2003, 3:16 AM
Post #33 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think these type of sites are for learning. why buy and read all these books if you can get all the info and a more direct answer from here.

Because you are asking other people to do your homework for you. The answers to your questions don't appear out of thin air. They take real people real time and effort to prepare. You're being selfish by asking the readers of these forums to answer basic questions which are answered more thoroughly in any number of widely available texts on climbing, which the rest of us have read. So, effectively, you are asking us to read the books and then to put our effort into passing the knowledge on to you. You're asking us to do your homework for you.

In reply to:
the space online will never fill up so other than you having to do a little more weeding through post i don't see a problem.

Are you so stupid that you cannot see what a disorganized mess it would be ever beginner behaved online the way you do?

In reply to:
I will admit i could improve on my english but why do people think im a troll? isn't a troll someone who is looking to cause trouble?

Because you are like a caricature of a n00b. All n00bs ask a dumb or naive question here or there, but you are the first n00b to ask every dumb climbing question ever asked. A professional climbing troll could not have crafted a better troll than your J Tree post. You didn't realize how big the place was? Easy sport climbs? What should a 5.9/10 climber with three months experience climb? Frickin' classic!

In reply to:
...and will continue to ask questions on anything i need info on.

Learn it from a book, you selfish little prick.

In reply to:
And i took the "typical beginner noob pic" as not so much an insult but a s--- attitude

It was neither, really.

-Jay

jt512

Nov 6, 2003, 3:25 AM
Post #34 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
all right jay you win if you could choose one book for me to read what will it be? Ill have the book by this weekend

Cool. I take back the line about calling you a "selfish prick." I hadn't read this response when I wrote that. My personal opinion is that your first climbing book should be How to Rock Climb by John Long. Note that there are a number of books in the series, the titles of which all start "How to Rock Climb:...", but the first one you should read is titled just "How to Rock Climb."

Other climbers prefer Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills, but I've always thought that book to be a bit behind the times. However, they have just published a new edition of the book, so many it's more up to date now. Really, you won't go wrong with either book, but John Long's writing style is always refreshing.

-Jay

jt512

Nov 6, 2003, 3:29 AM
Post #35 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Fine, assuming it's not a troll. I really liked Dog Day Afternoon in/near Hall of Horrors. It is a 10b and requires either a set of nuts or a small/medium cam for a single placement near the top, or a huge set of cajones if you want to run it out that far over a tricky move. The rest of it is bolts with a rappel bolted anchor. I liked the route a lot and recommend it!

Um, for his second lead? *gulp*

-Jay

fyreflii

Nov 6, 2003, 3:30 AM
Post #36 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What should a 5.9/10 climber with three months experience climb?

I was lucky to make the scramble to get to some the climbs without killing myself.

In reply to:
You can cruise a 5.9 then go get your ass schooled on a 5.7

I thought I was all tough after seconding No Calculators Allowed 5.10a my first day at Josh, the very next day I got told how it really is on a 5.7 and haven't even thought of spraying since.

jt512

Nov 6, 2003, 3:34 AM
Post #37 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I thought I was all tough after seconding No Calculators Allowed 5.10a my first day at Josh, the very next day I got told how it really is on a 5.7 and haven't even thought of spraying since.

Angela, you ain't sh-t until you've freed No Calculators with your leg in a cast:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=2657

-Jay

xcire

Nov 6, 2003, 3:49 AM
Post #38 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

like i said i will not be leading just trying to find what i should start on. I just want to have fun and learn not exspell all my energy on one route that i shouldn't be on. Still being new i have no idea what level to start on. Im only using the rating to no what i should be on. Not to worried about anything other than fun

moabbeth

Nov 6, 2003, 4:11 AM
Post #39 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
like i said i will not be leading just trying to find what i should start on. I just want to have fun and learn not exspell all my energy on one route that i shouldn't be on. Still being new i have no idea what level to start on. Im only using the rating to no what i should be on. Not to worried about anything other than fun

Here's the catch, all the good starter/moderate routes are gonna be PACKED since it's going to be a T-day weekend. Expect lines.

You could hang around the Intersection Rock area. You'll find people up doing stuff lon Old Woman like Double Cross (5.7 crack), Toe Jam (5.6 undercling flake). Head on over and do Sail Away (5.8) in Hidden Valley (that one WILL be packed, but maybe you can smile sweetly and climb it on TR before a party pulls the line).

You'll be fine. As with most climbing trips, if you go in with a set plan, it'll probably all change so just go, meet people, tag along and have fun.

v10gripper

Nov 6, 2003, 6:38 AM
Post #40 of 40 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in the last few years there has probably been 100 new sport routes put up that are under 5.10. for a good list of these check out www.joshuatreeclimb.com a new website that knows, (it knows cuz the owner put up the routes). some of these have been around a long time but went unrepoted till now! when randy's new guide book comes out there will be all kinds of surprises for all. snoop around youll find all kinds of treasures.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook