Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
RRG in March
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

brianthew

Nov 8, 2003, 6:35 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2053 views)
Shortcut

RRG in March  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky: East: Red_River_Gorge__Climbing_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, SoCal might not be happening for my spring break....but a trip down to RRG seems to be in order.

How is the Gorge in mid-March? Looking at the climatology graphs, it seems like the high temps during the day are 50-60ish, which is good. But, it also seems to be the peak wet season, with about 4-5 inches of rain in the month of March. I suppose the steep stuff stays fairly dry and climbable during downpours, at least.

Is there enough reliable fair weather down there to do some good climbing during that time of year?

sirtoots

Nov 10, 2003, 6:44 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2053 views)
Shortcut

Re: RRG in March [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to school about an hour away from the gorge, in Lexington. You can never count on the weather to do what you want. I went home for spring break last year and wound up wearing my coat when I got back. Just last week it was 70. This is only my second year here so I can't be sure that such things are common, but I'm from right outside of Nashville and the weather is screwy there too. That's not too many hours away.

verbal

Nov 10, 2003, 12:35 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its hit and miss, but I have had some great weeks of weather in March at the RRG. If you climb hard than you can always climb dry at the Red.

jstokey

Nov 10, 2003, 1:28 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to redriverclimbing.com They can answer any Q about the red. Good luck.

lordjim

Nov 10, 2003, 1:32 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weather in Kentucky is really messed up. We have a saying around here that if you don't like the weather wait a few days and it will change. In spring that is the truth. Lived in ky for about 25 years and it just keeps on getting stranger.

And check out redriverclimbing like was mentioned above. Lots of questions answered there.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook