RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Partner one900johnnyk

Nov 9, 2003, 1:59 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2946 views)
Shortcut

another racking question.. tricams
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i love my tricams and i rack them each on their own omega doval... is this usual? i've been seeing people racking them like stoppers?? sometimes it would be nice to have an extra extension on them, but i'm so far too inexperienced to know what's best. what do you prefer?

thanks

flypn

Nov 9, 2003, 2:42 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Re: another racking question.. tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

personaly I rack them like stoppers as well. That way I can flip through, find the right one quickly with out fumbling with three differitint clips. I'd rather just make one grab. I have seen both ways as well, but just experiment a little to find out what's best for you. The better your system suits you and you have practiced with it, the less time you spend fumbling.

andypro

Nov 9, 2003, 4:31 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine go on thier own biner's. Just like cams. Ii've never found fumbling to be a problem. Reach down, grab the tricam you want and pull it from the mess, slide your hand down, unclip, place, clip rope, go. No fumbling.

That said, sometimes I'll put the two smallest on one biner, but that's when I know what a route or pitch needs and I'm trying to save space.

fredo

Nov 10, 2003, 12:53 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pink, red and brown on an oval, the three shades of blue (#2, 2.5, 3) on an oval. Less bulky for me.

tradmanclimbs

Nov 10, 2003, 1:11 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

8) Personaly I put em on Ebay and sell em :lol: Do it quick before you become adicted to those time wasters. keep 1 pink and 1 red and sell the rest 8)

alwaysforward

Nov 10, 2003, 1:45 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rack the pink one on its own biner, rack all the rest together on a single biner. Now clip the pink one to your gear sling and deposit the others in the same place as all the other gear you bought but really never use." — Stephen Prouty.

adamtd

Nov 10, 2003, 3:41 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I rack mine like stoppers so I can cut down on the number of biners I have to carry. Also, I would only rack them on individual biners if I can eyeball the size and get it right everytime. I can get the right size the first time almost everytime, but I still find racking them like stoppers saves weight in biners in the long run. How often do you use every single one on a route?

andypro

Nov 10, 2003, 6:42 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
8) Personaly I put em on Ebay and sell em :lol: Do it quick before you become adicted to those time wasters. keep 1 pink and 1 red and sell the rest 8)

:shock: BLASPHEMER! Theres only one true and righteous way to dispose of unwanted tricams. You must send them for proper sacrifice to the cheektowaga, NY chapter of the church of the everlasting tricam.

If youve got a lost tricam that needs to be put out of it's misery, pm me for my ad...I mean..uhm..er...yeah. the churches address :twisted:

bspisak

Nov 10, 2003, 3:41 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Put those tricams on eBay before you head out for your next route on Power Dome (at Courtwright) and you'll be wishing you hadn't! These things are great for podded solution pockets that take horizontal placements. I can't say I like 'em much in place of a good nut, but there's a time and place for even the funkiest piece of gear.

Rack 'em how ya like 'em. If you can grab 'em and use and they don't get in the way of anything else, that's the way ya should do it. Look at other people's rack to get new ideas, but use what works best for you.

Cheers.
Brian

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook