RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

fredrogers

Nov 19, 2003, 10:30 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1535 views)
Shortcut

Area CLOSED due to trail building
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A sport climbing area got closed recently in my area. This area is on Forest Service land and there are about 50 routes there. The route developers there have had the foresight to build a lot of trails, wooden steps, and a few retaining walls on the steep hillside. The trails honestly look like they were more work than the route development. In the long run, I believe this area would become very popular with locals and a lot of erosion and trail braiding would have occurred without these trails.

The Forest Service recently found this area and they were quite surprised. They really didn't mind the bolting but they wish someone would have asked them first about such extensive trail work. So they have closed the area to climbing. I don't think the closure is permanent by any means. But I also don't think a reopening is high on their beauracratic "To Do" list.

I thought it was a bit strange for the Forest Service to close an area due to trailwork. I think if the trails had not been built then the Forest Service would have organized a trail day five years from now to build them. But then again, the trails amount to someone constructing something in the backwoods. Maybe the lesson here is for route developers to not be afraid to talk to land managers first before embarking on some major development.

charfire

Nov 20, 2003, 4:03 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1535 views)
Shortcut

Re: Area CLOSED due to trail building [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Generally the USFS has to perform and EIS to build anything. Even a trail. And they probably aren't too excited about having to spend the money to perform one.

If there are enough users who want to use the site, write letters, make appointments with the district ranger, etc. Make it a high priority on their "to do" list.

Partner coldclimb

Nov 20, 2003, 7:31 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1535 views)
Shortcut

coldclimb moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coldclimb moved this thread from General to Access Issues & Closures.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook