RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

popol

Nov 28, 2003, 2:57 PM
Post #1 of 9 (5266 views)
Shortcut

Butt shots
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi. Finally I might have some feedback on a question that bothers me already for a long time: Why do people "automatically" appraise pictures from below / behind as "butt shots" while there are still some good possibilities to make nice pictures from that position?

rockclimbr

Nov 28, 2003, 3:06 PM
Post #2 of 9 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Re: Butt shots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, if you shoot from off to the side, you get a whole body shot, where as if you shoot from under the climber, you get their butt. I dont think butt shots are easy to do, it takes some creativity to get the emotion out of the pic that you could get taking a face shot.

e_wire

Nov 28, 2003, 3:09 PM
Post #3 of 9 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most probably because everything that could be done from such a point of view, has been done. I think good climbing pictures should give a sens of the effort or the landscape. Butt shots are usually taken by belayers or people to lazy to rappel down an take a picture from higher point of views.

I've taken butt shots and will most probably take some more... Why? Because some days I'm too lazy to climb up and take real nice pictures. Or simply because some days I simply focus on the climbing and not on the picture taking!

If you want to have a look at my butt shots and other pictures, go to my website... Might want to look at my butt shots videos too!

www.ianbergeron.com

e_wire

thomasribiere

Nov 28, 2003, 7:04 PM
Post #4 of 9 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a butt shot can be nice, but it's seldom. cruising through the random pics, I saw a good one with no butt : the face was photographed between the climber legs. I think that butt shots are better when you don't see the butt but the "sex" : I mean when we can see the front of the climber and possibly the face but not the back and the butt.
Butt shots with only the butt are lame. maybe if the climber is naked or is a baboon, it could be better...
Blurry TR butt shots with exposure problem and passed out colours are the worse!

biff

Nov 28, 2003, 8:02 PM
Post #5 of 9 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

soo .. thomas .. you have a thing for naked baboon butts? :lol:

There has been some butt shots that have had an average rating above 8, but they are few and far between. For a butt shot to catch my interest, the butt cannot be the focus of the photo .. I.E there has to be something very creative, or interesting aobut the rest of the photo .. weather it is cool rock formation, neat lines of rock / sky / rope, .. questinable / runout gear .. anything to keep the eye from focusing on the ass.

freudian

Nov 28, 2003, 9:15 PM
Post #6 of 9 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny you should mention a butt-shot with head between legs so you can see the face... I took one of those of my partner. She thought it was funny and loves the shot. I wasn't taking it for the ass, since from that high up you can't see it anyways, it was to be funny :)

Freud

In reply to:
a butt shot can be nice, but it's seldom. cruising through the random pics, I saw a good one with no butt : the face was photographed between the climber legs. I think that butt shots are better when you don't see the butt but the "sex" : I mean when we can see the front of the climber and possibly the face but not the back and the butt.
Butt shots with only the butt are lame. maybe if the climber is naked or is a baboon, it could be better...
Blurry TR butt shots with exposure problem and passed out colours are the worse!

prezwoodz

Nov 28, 2003, 9:55 PM
Post #7 of 9 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I get alot of but shots :( mainly because either my freinds cant climb as high as me or are scared to do so :( kinda sucks.

popol

Nov 29, 2003, 9:20 PM
Post #8 of 9 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hardly get any climbing pictures of myself, because I'm the one taking the pictures, and none is taking pics when I'm climbing. Even no butt shots :?

josephine

Nov 30, 2003, 12:27 PM
Post #9 of 9 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i hate butt shots :oops:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook