Premier Sponsor:

sid_rock

Dec 2, 2003, 7:37 PM
Post #1 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Moving to Toronto!
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got me a new job there, and I'm moving early next month. Rock Oasis - here I come! Anyone looking for a partner there (I'm currently climbing 5.10s), we should hook up.

Any hints on how to find a nice apartment? I'll be working at Yonge & Eglinton, and I want to be able to walk to work. I hate Toronto traffic :evil: and I do not want to deal with it everyday.

katydid

Dec 2, 2003, 8:09 PM
Post #2 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Re: Moving to Toronto! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're going to pay through the nose at Y & E, but if you're getting paid well enough, it's a really fun neighbourhood to live in. I was there for 2 years and loved it.

You're right on the subway line there, so you might want to consider looking as far north as Sheppard, because it would still be a fairly short ride. Down by Yonge & Davisville there are some nice areas as well, and your walk isn't too bad from there, either.

Good luck!

k.

sid_rock

Dec 2, 2003, 8:29 PM
Post #3 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea! Such friendly folk. And to think of the horrible, horrible things the rest of Canada says about Torontonians :)

Yeah, I know I'll be paying thru my nose for rent in that area (I'm budgeting $1300/month) but I do not want to commute -- that robs your life of too many hours -- and I do not want to pay for parking at work ($150/month, f*ck that).

katydid

Dec 2, 2003, 8:31 PM
Post #4 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can find a bachelor apt at Y&E for that much, possibly a small one bedroom. Two-bedrooms will go for twice that, easy.

I can't remember the name of the property management company, but there's a great hi-rise at 88 Erskine that's worth looking into. Nice apartments, great view, swimming pool. Don't know how the new super is, but the last one was fantastic.

k.

wishiwaswest

Dec 2, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #5 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I just moved FROM there - YIPPEE - Oh sorry - but anyway, I lived around Eglinton & Avenue Road - I hope you're making BIG bucks, because the rents are astronomical! I agree with katydid, try somewhere along the subway line further out of the main city area - the transit system is great and not too expensive and you can get just about anywhere quickly unless it snows - like this morning - my brother said it took him 1-1/2 hrs to get to work - normally it's 15 mins.

I LOVE the West Coast!

Rock Oasis is great but I found it VERY claustrophobic - has the best routes though -

pehperboy

Dec 2, 2003, 9:36 PM
Post #6 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My suggestion? (Not that you asked, but here goes): Live on the Danforth and for $1,300 you'll get a really nice place. Great neighbourhood and right on the subway line. Great restaurants, shops, parks.
Though I understand your aversion to taking cramped transit to work every day, and driving in dt Toronto (never mind parking) is nuts. So if you can get a decent place for that much within walking distance, go for it. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking for anything on the on the subway line between the Broadview and Coxwell stations.

sid_rock

Dec 3, 2003, 6:20 PM
Post #7 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys are all full of poo poo!!! As it turns out, just like my headhunter told me, rents have come down BIG TIME in Toronto over the last two years. Right now Toronto is definitely a renters market. This is because of a combination of low interest rates and previously inflated Toronto rents, which made renting as expensive as a mortgage. Just about everybody decided to buy, and rightly so.

I called a bunch of places around Y&E today, and just about all of them had apartments available. Prices ranged from $950 - $1100 for 1 bedrooms. I even found a 2 bedroom at Y&Avenue for $995 :-)

So there!!!

katydid

Dec 3, 2003, 8:25 PM
Post #8 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, guess all those condos finally did the renters a favour.

Speaking of which, there are also some really cool condos in the area. You might not get quite as much square footage as an apartment, but if you're planning to be relatively permanent in the area, it may be worth looking into.

k.

dookie

Dec 3, 2003, 8:48 PM
Post #9 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is that canadian dollars? Damn! That's like $100 a month...
I'm moving up there! :D

djmeat

Dec 3, 2003, 9:01 PM
Post #10 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moving to toronto, gonna eat alot of peaches.

wishiwaswest

Dec 3, 2003, 9:39 PM
Post #11 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You guys are all full of poo poo!!! As it turns out, just like my headhunter told me, rents have come down BIG TIME in Toronto over the last two years. Right now Toronto is definitely a renters market. This is because of a combination of low interest rates and previously inflated Toronto rents, which made renting as expensive as a mortgage. Just about everybody decided to buy, and rightly so.

I called a bunch of places around Y&E today, and just about all of them had apartments available. Prices ranged from $950 - $1100 for 1 bedrooms. I even found a 2 bedroom at Y&Avenue for $995 :-)

So there!!!

Just make sure you check the places out first! A lot of those $950-$1100 places are roach infested chitholes that you wouldn't want your dog to live in. I must have looked at 50 places before I found one when I moved back there beginning of 2002 and 90% of them were total dumps. When I left last August, I turned the place over to another friend who had been looking for 2 months and he was finding the same problem.

Happy Hunting!

climbingbetty22

Dec 3, 2003, 9:56 PM
Post #12 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yea! Such friendly folk. And to think of the horrible, horrible things the rest of Canada says about Torontonians :)

Wow, sid, what a change of heart. Just a month ago when I made post about how I was happy to being going Toronto, you were pretty intent on flaming me and the whole of Toronto.

Seems the city is more palatable to you now.

Thats a major bummer that you will be climbing at the Oasis as that is where I climb when I am in town. Nice people climb there. Are you sure you belong?

sid_rock

Dec 4, 2003, 2:51 AM
Post #13 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Wow, sid, what a change of heart. Just a month ago when I made post about how I was happy to being going Toronto, you were pretty intent on flaming me and the whole of Toronto.

Thats a major bummer that you will be climbing at the Oasis as that is where I climb when I am in town. Nice people climb there. Are you sure you belong?

When I said I hated Torontonians, I was specifically referring to one Climbing Betty and her boyfriend.

Edit: You do realize that everything I post here is harmless, retarded drivel, never to be taken seriously. Right?

sid_rock

Dec 4, 2003, 2:54 AM
Post #14 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
is that canadian dollars? Damn! That's like $100 a month...
I'm moving up there! :D

Check your dollar, genius. Today, it will take US$1.21 to buy a Euro, and US$0.77 to by a Canadian dollar. And the slide continues. Your dollar has been BUSH-WHACKED!

sid_rock

Dec 4, 2003, 2:56 AM
Post #15 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just make sure you check the places out first! A lot of those $950-$1100 places are roach infested chitholes that you wouldn't want your dog to live in. I must have looked at 50 places before I found one when I moved back there beginning of 2002 and 90% of them were total dumps. When I left last August, I turned the place over to another friend who had been looking for 2 months and he was finding the same problem.

Happy Hunting!

Eeew! I hate roaches!!!

Not to worry, I'll be checking the places out.

sid_rock

Dec 6, 2003, 11:24 PM
Post #16 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I done good today, fellers.

Just got back from the big city. Got me a super-awesome apartment. An eight-minute walk from my work at Yonge & Eglinton. Bye bye commuting! SUCKERS!!! 17th floor with an obstructed view of the CN tower. $1300. BTW I found apartments as low as $950 but this one is nice.

Right after I signed the lease I drove to Rock Oasis and got me a year's membership. :-) Then I had a salmon sandwich.

I'll be there in January. Torontonians, hide your wives and daughters coz Sid is about to hit da town!!!

orangepants

Dec 10, 2003, 8:20 PM
Post #17 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sid, dude, you're hilarious.... you're more than welcome to join our loving group at Oasis. Welcome to Toronto.

P.S. I don't have a wife or daughter but my mother's pretty hot. :lol:

katydid

Dec 10, 2003, 8:31 PM
Post #18 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All right, Sid!

You've got prime real estate to watch the various TO fireworks right out your window on the holidays.

Lucky.

k.

climbingbetty22

Dec 10, 2003, 8:47 PM
Post #19 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

When I said I hated Torontonians, I was specifically referring to one Climbing Betty and her boyfriend.

Too bad I'm not from Toronto, Sucka! I'm American! That's right I live in the most powerful country in the world and have the world's biggest douche bag running the thing. Besides, the simple folks of Ontario would never be cool enough to elect The Terminator their provincial big cheese.

In reply to:
Edit: You do realize that everything I post here is harmless, retarded drivel, never to be taken seriously. Right?
Same thing could be said of you right???

sid_rock

Dec 10, 2003, 8:56 PM
Post #20 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Same thing could be said of you right???

Ouch, a cut to the bone. You have hurt a gentle soul. I hope that made your day.

climbingbetty22

Dec 10, 2003, 9:05 PM
Post #21 of 21 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ouch, a cut to the bone. You have hurt a gentle soul. I hope that made your day.

A gentle soul? Don't make me

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook