Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Pipeline Coulier Near Twin Peaks
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

alpinerocket

Dec 16, 2003, 7:09 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Pipeline Coulier Near Twin Peaks  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Little_Cottonwood_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have recently read about this route near SnowBird. Has any one done it? Does it stay around or melt out before June?

brianinslc

Dec 16, 2003, 7:49 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Re: Pipeline Coulier Near Twin Peaks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have recently read about this route near SnowBird. Has any one done it? Does it stay around or melt out before June?

Done it, as in, do people ski it? Yes.

Done it, as in, do people climb it? No. See above.

Be sorta like climbing up Baldy Chutes at Alta... Its not really a climbing route, per se, but a ski route at a ski area. Tons of much better couliors in the area that don't dump downhill skiers on you...or aren't accessed from a ski area.

Usually there, in some form, until July or past, most years.

Brian in SLC

alpinerocket

Dec 16, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brianinslc wrote:
In reply to:
Done it, as in, do people climb it? No. See above.

Be sorta like climbing up Baldy Chutes at Alta... Its not really a climbing route, per se, but a ski route at a ski area. Tons of much better couliors in the area that don't dump downhill skiers on you...or aren't accessed from a ski area.

The reason I was asking is that I saw this route listed in Dave Blacks book (Utah Ice Climbs). It was rated an AI2-3 climb usually done in the spring-early summer. I agree I dont want to be in a skiiers line. Do you have any suggestions of other (so-called) alpine climbs? John

brianinslc

Dec 17, 2003, 4:19 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The reason I was asking is that I saw this route listed in Dave Blacks book (Utah Ice Climbs). It was rated an AI2-3 climb usually done in the spring-early summer. I agree I dont want to be in a skiiers line. Do you have any suggestions of other (so-called) alpine climbs? John

Hmm...I'll have to look for that route...I don't remember that one...(I have a few pics in the book...).

The route(s) on Storm Mountain apparently (and according to bsmoot who posts here upon occasion) were a right of passage for aspiring alpinists "back in the day" but now you never hear of folks doing them.

One of the better sources for steep coulior climbing is McLean's "Chuting Gallery". Tons of stuff in there. His ski descents always make good gully climbs!

I've done Tanner's a few times. Stairs Gulch (be careful as that one sees "glide" avalanches especially when the night time temps are above freezing in the spring). Actually, be careful with all of them... North Ridge of the Pfiefferhorn. South ridge of Superior. Tons and tons of couliors, but, the prime time can be a bit fickle. Seems like usually, when they start to get safe after a wet avy cycle, the bottoms melt out and they get a tad thrashy. Mount Olympus has a few. Timp.

One of my favorite longer easy ice climbs is Willard Canyon Waterfall...super fun when its formed, especially if you catch it early with no snow, but cold temps. I've seen it sluff a big wet slurpy avalanche so be careful there, too. Melts out pretty fast in the spring.

Maybird Coulior, Little Pine, etc are all fun, straight shots that go up up up. Fun kick steppin' and sometimes pretty reasonable (for us less inspired) to ski back down, too. But, sometimes full of debris in the spring too.

Tons of stuff to do...and none too crowded, it seems....

Brian in SLC

granitegod

Feb 18, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey John, what's a coulier?

If you wanna do some rock, PM me when the ice melts!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook