Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbingnurse

Dec 18, 2003, 4:29 AM
Post #26 of 31 (3433 views)
Shortcut

Re: Softshells [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, I just pro-dealed a Marmot Quantum Jacket, so I feel I owe them some free advertising... That jacket is the freakin bomb!!! Perfectly cut, lightweight, windproof, amazingly water resistant, and just the right amount of warmth. And on top of all that, it's super comfy cuz it's all lined w/ Marmot 3-D Driclime.

It also has a really nice rollaway hood made of Shoeller Dry-Skin that is cut just right.

It retails for about $270, which is steap, but not compared to the Arc'Teryx stuff. The only other problem is that it's hard to find in stores. The only place I've seen it is at Rock and Snow in New Paltz.

epic_ed

Dec 18, 2003, 6:45 AM
Post #27 of 31 (3433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you plan to stand in front of ed...get the windstopper as you will need it. And you won't want to be breathing much!
SORRY ED>...couldn't help myself!

;)

-Kate.

What?! I brushed and I even mix in a Tic-Tac now and then. Besides, it's behind me where you really don't want to be standing. :wink:

Yeah, I weighed the breathability issue. Seems like I find myself getting uncomfortable more often from a cutting cold wind than by static chilly temps so I went with the Windstopper. We'll see how breathable it is or isn't -- and I'll do a follow up post to let everyone know my thoughts. As for flexibility, I've found it stretches fine. Did a climb with some reachy moves last weekend and it didn't feel stiff or tight at all. No doubt the regular variations of Scholler are more plyable, but I didn't feel restricted in any direction. They've done a very nice job with the fit and design on the jacket to maximize range of movement (unlike the REI One jacket I tried on).

Ed

tobym

Dec 18, 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #28 of 31 (3433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been looking at Beyond Fleece for a bit, I'ld like to know what you think of it.

What options you went for and such.

I was really diggin' the Cold Fusion Jacket!!!!

I have a Cold Fusion Jacket, and it is superb, very impressed with the breathability of the Schoeller WB-400 material and its water-repellent treatment (?3XDry). The options I went for:
Fixed hood (requested it big enough to go over helmet- then sewed in my own volume adjust)

Pit Zips- I sweat like a pig!

Waterproof main zip-just fancied one!

Thumb-loops- generally better on base layers

One important thing- make sure you measure-up well!

wigglestick

Dec 18, 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #29 of 31 (3433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a beyondfleece cold fusion almost a year ago (christmas present to myself). And I love it. I seem to wear that thing everyday regardless of what I am doing. Can't say enough good things about it. But here is my advice. When measuring yourself try on a few different coats and find ones that have the right fit in different areas and then use those to help you measure. Just eyeballing it when you are standing in your kitchen with a t-shirt on is hard. I ended up ordering mine a little two long at the waist. They make it exactly like you request so make sure you know what you want because there is no checks and balances system.

madmax

Dec 18, 2003, 11:18 PM
Post #30 of 31 (3433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was lucky enough to have a girlfriend who bought me the Arc'Teryx softshell hoody, and I'd have to say it is the best damn piece of high tech clothing I own. I almost splurged on it myself, but the g-friend beat me to it.

caseyhyer

Dec 18, 2003, 11:36 PM
Post #31 of 31 (3433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,
I have a gamma sv that I am selling. I have been leashless climbing with it and thier are some marks on the shoulders. Let me know if interested. Large Blue/greyish on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3447959238&category=15677
If you interested.
I just need more christmas money.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook