Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
City of Rocks in July - how hot?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

winglady

Dec 19, 2003, 3:49 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2489 views)
Shortcut

City of Rocks in July - how hot?  (North_America: United_States: Idaho: Twin_Falls: City_of_Rocks_National_Reserve)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We hope to spend a few days climbing at City of Rocks for the first time next summer -- more a scouting trip than anything else. How hot might it be in mid to late July?

Since we'll be on our way to a business convention, we're trying to minimize the extra "stuff" we pack, so we're thinking of staying at a motel in Burley. The maps we've looked at are pretty vague as to the type of roads from Burley to the climbing area. Any beta on driving time?

TIA for any general tips.

rockprodigy

Dec 23, 2003, 5:37 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2489 views)
Shortcut

Re: City of Rocks in July - how hot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.

You might be able to climb in late afternoon and early morning, in the shade.

Should be less than 1 hour from Burley.

blondebrasilian

Dec 23, 2003, 9:20 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It will be in the mid 90's. It gets pretty hot there but if you follow the shade all day you can survive with alot of water. Following the shade is not to hard because there is so much to do there. Have a good time and let us know how the trip goes.
Benjamin

troutboy

Dec 23, 2003, 2:27 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Warning:
I'm not a local, but since none have answered yet..

Can't say about the weather. We were there in September and it was still pretty hot (upper 80s).

There are several hotels in Burley, pretty cheap. We stayed at the Best Western for one night on the way in.

The first 17 miles or so is fairly flat paved (60-70 MPH). The rest of the trip is on gravel, with washboards (unless the road has been graded recently), some hilly, perhaps with cows in the way (25-35 MPH).

Expect 35-45 minutes from Burley to the City.

Very nice place. Would love to go back. If you leave the trad gear behind, you'll miss some great climbs, but there will still be plenty of sport stuff to keep you busy.

T

mother_sheep

Dec 23, 2003, 3:15 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck trying to find a place to cool down too, water wise. I've been in the City 2 summers in a row now. If the climbing wasn't so stellar, I'd go elsewhere because of the heat. One year my partner and I gave up climbing around 2:00 and set out to find a place where we could escape the heat and go for a swim. I swear, we drove around for about 3 hours in total. All that we came across was this enclosed hot springs that was just very strange. But, like I said before, the climbing in the City is stellar. Some of the most fantastic granite I've ever seen. The friction is amazing. And the quantity of high quality routes is what will bring me back every summer.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook