Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering at Old Rag -- Please Help ASAP
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jkarns

Jan 2, 2004, 2:09 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering at Old Rag -- Please Help ASAP  (North_America: United_States: Virginia: North_Western: Old_Rag_Mountain)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello out there--

I need to get out of the boxes and go bouldering!!! There have been so many good days lately, but I've had to work on all of them ARRRRGGH!!!

So the weather report for Old Rag looks like one of the only good reports for tomorrow (that's driveable for me). I heard there was some good bouldering there, but I have no info at all concerning it. What can anyone share out there. Please help, I don't want to spend another day inside.

Thanks!

jkarns

Jan 7, 2004, 9:07 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering at Old Rag -- Please Help ASAP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump..

Doesn't anyone have ANY info to share??!?

cadaverchris

Jan 7, 2004, 9:21 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a few things for you:

first. old rag is at a higher elevation. It will be colder, and windier than the surrounding areas. be warned.

second. you'll find numerous boulders along the ridge trail and on the summit proper. the rock is sharp, and many problems are hard because of lack of feet and distant holds. but it is very very good.

third. bring a pad, firm brush, chalk, and tape

have fun! and even if its too cold to climb too much, the hike alone is worth the trip. enjoi

(fourth. i have class otherwise i'd be down for the trip)

solored

Jan 7, 2004, 9:26 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ermmm, sorry, but I didn't see your original post until yesterday (Jan. 6) and figured that since the holiday weekend was over you wouldn't be needing any info. Anyway, it's pretty cold now, right at freezing here in Charlottesville in mid-afternoon, so a few degrees colder up there and not supposed to be much better right up through the middle of next week. Chances of snow on Thurs night/Fri. and next Monday.

Someone else will need to help you out concerning bouldering - I'm not into bouldering and when I've been up there I've only had eyes for the roped climbs. The warmest area would be the Reflector Oven/God Crag/Bushwhack area and there're so many sticker bushes/briar patches down there that I can't imagine much bouldering is done.

Sorry you missed the holiday weekend - it was in the 50's & 60's on Old Rag from the 1st through the weekend (minus Friday, when it rained). Fabulous to be up there on the first day of the New Year...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook