First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

okinawatricam

Jan 3, 2004, 2:32 AM
Post #51 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is Top Rope Looked Down On? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb for yourself and don't worry about what others say. Top roping is just one more avenue to the same sport. If we look down on tope roping, then we need to glorify soloers.

Top Roping isn't always easier. Actually, in many cases it is easier to lead and overhanging route than to top rope it.

crimpjunk

Jan 3, 2004, 2:50 AM
Post #52 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Top roping is cool for learning a route and it shouldnt be frowned upon, but I agree that leading is much more rewarding. Climbing becomes real when u start leading.

kalcario

Jan 3, 2004, 2:55 AM
Post #53 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*Climbing becomes real when u start leading.*

right on dude...

diesel___smoke

Jan 3, 2004, 3:58 AM
Post #54 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You cracker a$$ cracker. When you are not on your porch spraying kids with a garden hose you go out and chop bolts.

Need I even ennoble myself with such a feebleminded response as this?

curt

Jan 3, 2004, 4:10 AM
Post #55 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
*Climbing becomes real when u start leading.*

right on dude...

Sure, if you're leading a real climb. If you drag the rock down to your level by various sport tactics, however, it means nothing.

Curt

diesel___smoke

Jan 3, 2004, 4:15 AM
Post #56 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt's wisdom never ceases to shine bright.

mrme

Jan 3, 2004, 5:37 AM
Post #57 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You cracker a$$ cracker. When you are not on your porch spraying kids with a garden hose you go out and chop bolts.

Need I even ennoble myself with such a feebleminded response as this?

yea i was trying to think of something to say back to this one the only response i could come up with is i think you need to go get laid itakealot exspecial if it is just those bolts near gear placements diesel don't like. though i don't totally agree with choping i do understand his point i think the bolt should have never been placed there to begin with.i hate seeing places destroed by bolting and choping over and over and over.

slab-dyno
Deleted

Jan 3, 2004, 6:12 AM
Post #58 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes

kalcario

Jan 3, 2004, 6:57 AM
Post #59 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

* Sure, if you're leading a real climb. If you drag the rock down to your level by various sport tactics, however, it means nothing.*

Would that this were the case...strange how bolting doesn't seem to have dragged anything harder than 13b down to my level...

mrme

Jan 3, 2004, 7:15 AM
Post #60 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
* Sure, if you're leading a real climb. If you drag the rock down to your level by various sport tactics, however, it means nothing.*

Would that this were the case...strange how bolting doesn't seem to have dragged anything harder than 13b down to my level...

hhhhmmm if your flashing onsight soloing naked no chalck or shoes everything you climb bellow 13b thats pretty amazing. oh yea i fogot just in case in ground up style quite possiblie should be thrown in there.

mrme

Jan 3, 2004, 7:27 AM
Post #61 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can not tell me if you climb trad especially that hard you havn't seen a lesser climb to you say a 5.7 that is easilly gear protectable and asked yourself why bolts? why on this climb? or on some climb somewhere. or wait do you even climb that low of a grade? you know some good climbers don't like to lower themselves to sub standered grading that they could solo in there sleep that some one might care about. i know in the area i climb most at if my favorite climb got bolted i would be upset that nice no hands traverse just wouldn't be as fun or quiete as well proteceted for a seconed if used a bolt there.

kalcario

Jan 3, 2004, 7:34 AM
Post #62 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

**You cracker a$$ cracker. When you are not on your porch spraying kids with a garden hose you go out and chop bolts.**

*Need I even ennoble myself with such a feebleminded response as this?*

hahaha you just did...that was the best malaprop in recent memory...were you and Bush classmates?

maybe you mean something like, "should I even dignify something as feeble-minded as this with a response", or, "need I even ennoble this guy by responding to something as feeble-minded as this".

Then again, considering your other posts, the way you put it makes perfect sense...

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 3, 2004, 7:44 AM
Post #63 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on... This also has degraded into a flame fest, instead of talking debating TRing.

Moving to Community.

There is a great site for those who like to kick each other in the nuts, to show their's are made of steel... It's called rec.climbing.

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 3, 2004, 7:44 AM
Post #64 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

rrrADAM moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM moved this thread from Beginners to Community.

meataxe

Jan 3, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #65 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually, I'm looking up... :|

Partner hosh

Jan 4, 2004, 6:12 AM
Post #66 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, there seems to be a wide range of opinions here on the ethics of top-roping! I guess that at this point in the discussion, there won't be any harm done if I throw my 2 cents into the mix... There's a top-rope problem near the area I climb the most and I really don't think it should be bolted for sport. I climb mostly sport right now, but I agree strongly with many of the anti-sport comments made by other climbers. Some times, bolting a route is actually pretty dumb. In the case of the route I was talking about, it's only about 20' high, so it's not a death problem, and there's a decent walk-up to the anchors, or if you really have to prove how cool you are, there's a 5'8 off-width crack you can free to get to the top. Either way, it's a fun climb that doesn't need bolts, won't take any pro (no features to place gear) and is a bit too much of a high-ball for me (or anyone I know) to consider "bouldering". I really like the problem and I top-rope it all the time! I've lead a few trad routes and for me, that's where it's at, but due to lack of good trad routes in my area (actually lack of climbing routes at all) forces me to do what I can, which is sport. Hey, if you're going to rip on people who only TR, um, that's not very nice. And Mr. Mons, if you make it to AK in the summer, I'll take you to the TR route and we'll get a few climbs in. There's about 3 different climbs you can do with one TR set, which makes it nice...

pfc-monty
Deleted

Jan 4, 2004, 7:37 AM
Post #67 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sometimes tire of hearing the same old complaints from trad climbers in reference to sport climbers when I have seen trad climbers removing vegetation, using trees for natural protection and "cleaning" "clean" pro placements. I climb both trad and sport and appreciate aspects of both. I have also seen too many social trails on the top of crags from setting up a TR. We all make environmental impact's and everyone has a responsibility to limit it. Climbers could make a much larger positive impact by being careful of the vegetation around the base of the crag where the non-climbing public is most likely to see it and be offended. Oh and don't even get me started on bouldering with the tick marks, crash pads and countless spotters.

robmcc

Jan 5, 2004, 3:29 PM
Post #68 of 68 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I sometimes tire of hearing the same old complaints from trad climbers in reference to sport climbers when I have seen trad climbers removing vegetation, using trees for natural protection

What's the problem with using trees for natural pro?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook