Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
DC Metro Bouldering?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dupree

Mar 18, 2002, 7:29 PM
Post #1 of 4 (4648 views)
Shortcut

DC Metro Bouldering?  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Eastern_Wy_: Ten_Sleep_-_The_Dry_Wall: Dry_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howdy. Can anyone recommend some beginner bouldering sites in the DC area. I've done a little bit of bouldering outdoors and just recently got back into the gym, so I'm looking for some relatively easy stuff to experiment on. Li'l help?

howitzer

Mar 18, 2002, 8:57 PM
Post #2 of 4 (4648 views)
Shortcut

DC Metro Bouldering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as I know your best bet is to head to Carderock on the MD/VA boarder along the Potomac River. That's where I do a lot of climbing, and there are always groups of people bouldering there. From what I've seen there are some pretty good problems people have developed, as well as some good beginner stuff. Great Falls on the other side of the river is more of a toprope area from what I can tell, since the hike in gets you to the top of the climbs, many of which you downclimb or rap to get to. Carderock is really easy to find - just head to 495 (from DC take the GW parkway to 495N toward MD) and get off at the Carderock exit - follow signs into park. Once in, take a right at the T intersection and park in the last parking lot there. Walk past the bathrooms towards the river and you cannot miss the rocks. Hope this helps!

superxris

May 21, 2003, 3:39 AM
Post #3 of 4 (4648 views)
Shortcut

dc metro area bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm looking in to doing some bouldering in the dc metro area. what are the best areas within an hours drive of DC? Does Great Falls have any bouldering? Is Carderock's bouldering worth going out there for? How about this area in Rock Creek park? How much bouldering is there?

lumineferusother

Aug 22, 2005, 7:04 PM
Post #4 of 4 (4648 views)
Shortcut

Great Falls Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on how far you want to hike. Most of the main places to climb in Great Falls are along River Trail. If you don't mind rapping/kayaking/wading/swimming to some of the spots then I suppose you could boulder some of them. Someone once told me about a spot or two along the Matildaville Trail but I've yet to find it. The only other place within the park I can think is along the Difficult Run Trail. There are some boulderable rocks along the trail but anyone that's been on 193 recently can tell you that at the time being you can't park in the Difficult Run Parkinglot so you gotta hike the 1.5-2 miles to the trail it self via River Trail from the Great Falls Visitor's Center. If you don't mind the hike, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you're really feeling adventurous and don't feel like paying $10 to get into Great Falls park, you can park at River Bend Park and hike to the Difficult Run trail. I did it Sunday and it was pretty fun. I hope that answered some of yall's (pre-yuppie/snob local talk) questions. If you looking for someone to climb with, drop me a pm or send me an email or IM me. All my friends have gone back to school :(

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook