Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

truckey

Jan 25, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #1 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Moab, Utah
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Me and a couple of friends are planning a trip to moab this Easter and i was wondering if there is anything i should worry about. Weather it be with my gear, the rock or myself. If you have been there please post a reply to tell me of your journey and your awsome adventures on the rock. :D Please let me know of the crack house if you know anything.

oudinardin

Jan 25, 2004, 2:38 AM
Post #2 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Re: Moab, Utah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Me and a couple of friends are planning a trip to moab this Easter and i was wondering if there is anything i should worry about. Weather it be with my gear, the rock or myself. If you have been there please post a reply to tell me of your journey and your awsome adventures on the rock. :D Please let me know of the crack house if you know anything.
As far as adventures, I don't even know where to start. I spend about 3-4 months there every year with what I call my real job. There a few places in town to get info and what not. This is bad but, When is Easter? God, that sounds stupid. I'm headed down in a few weeks to help figure out our schedule and meet with some clients from Aspen. As far as gear, hopefully your into trad and enjoy sandstone. There are several sporters in the area. PM me if you want more info. I know the area all to well. Don't forget that Zion is not that far from Moab. When ever Easter is, I'm thinking rain, but I don't know, watch for floods in the slots etc. Ever been? You will love it. Camping info etc. if you want. Peace, Mike.

P.S. moabbeth, I'm sure could help as well. P.M. one of us with the specifics or look for a blue Suby with Montana plates starting with 6p. When the hell is Easter? Heading down April 7th.

oudinardin

Jan 25, 2004, 3:14 AM
Post #3 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Mike,
I've heard of it but have never been. It's mainly a bouldering area. Did a search and found a picture for ya. Go to mamma.com and do a search for Moab "the crack house". Looks pretty cool. Mike

Partner phaedrus

Jan 25, 2004, 3:37 AM
Post #4 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I can think of several things for you to worry about, Mike, the foremost of one being that you have my coffee waiting for me when I crawl out of my tent in the morning and the consequences involved if you don't. :wink:

atpeaceinbozeman

Jan 25, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #5 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You will love it. I was there in november and had a grand ole time.

Just remember that you're in Utah, so you need to pack in your beer/booze.

Tom

cragmasterp

Jan 25, 2004, 5:52 PM
Post #6 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have made many trips there over the years, mostly to climb towers and the sweet cracks at Indian Creek and surrounding areas.

If you plan on climbing the classic 5.10s at IC, BRING AS MANY BLACK DIAMOND #2 (GOLD) CAMALOTS AS YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON. You will need at least 8 to lead most of these routes comfortably. Also bring as many other medium to large cams as you can beg, borrow, or buy. If you want to top out some towers, practive offwidth climbing before you come. Every tower i have ever been on has some.

Check out Hotel Off Center for a unique nights stay in this affordable, wacky motel in downtown Moab where each room is set up like a movie set (mineshaft room rules) you will probably need a reservation here. The owners are the best and the communal kitchen, complete with a working 70's hi-fi with reel to reel tapes makes for memorable post - climb meals.

Also save a rest (?) day to rent a full suspension mountain bike to experience some of the most unique biking terrain in the US - slickrock.
We rode the White RIm trail (past monster tower, etc.) in a glorious self-supported three day trip.

Get stoked and train so you are ready to get the most out of this trip.

oudinardin

Jan 25, 2004, 5:58 PM
Post #7 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You will love it. I was there in november and had a grand ole time.

Just remember that you're in Utah, so you need to pack in your beer/booze.

Tom

What's up Tom? Just to clarify. They do sell beer in Moab as well as the hard stuff. I think what Tom means is the alcohol content is low. Would'nt hurt to pack a few cases of Moose Drool or your favorite brew in though. Check out Moab Brewery- hell of a Scorpian Ale. Peace, Mike

smellyhippie

Jan 25, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #8 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fairly good primitive camping across the street from Big Bend Boulders. Advantage is that it's across the street from Big Bend Boulders, the disad. is that the road is right there.

Fill up water jugs at the spring on River Road just outside of town. Good H2-Whoa.

Nate

rradjc

Jan 25, 2004, 7:48 PM
Post #9 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crackhouse is located off the road to Gemini Bridges, about 16 miles north of Moab. Check out Desert Rock 4 for directions to get there. It's considered a 4wheel road to get out there. you may need the high clearance and four wheel traction for one loose hill on the way out there.
The entire crack is V8 (5.13+-).

Easter is usually good climbing weather - however the Four Wheel Easter Safari is always in town for those three days so Moab and the surrounding jeep trails are pretty packed.

quickclips

Jan 25, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #10 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info guys, I was about to put a post up on this. I'm planning a trip for my club to go in March, (spring break) anyone know how the weather is going to be?

Chris

delarig

Jan 25, 2004, 8:01 PM
Post #11 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can buy full percentage beer and liquor in Moab, you just have to buy it warm at the state owned liquor store.

brutusofwyde

Jan 25, 2004, 8:03 PM
Post #12 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chance of rain or thunder showers. Sunny and calm some days, others with winds to 60mph over the talus cone at the base of Castleton Tower. Chance of sleet or snow at the higher elevations. Some morning frost, warming in the afternoons.

Scattered high clouds.

Flash flood warnings in effect in the slot canyons and slickrock during thunderstorm activity.

Mud warnings in effect in the Fisher Towers.

Brutus

oudinardin

Jan 25, 2004, 8:17 PM
Post #13 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can buy full percentage beer and liquor in Moab, you just have to buy it warm at the state owned liquor store.
Ummm, Have you ever been to Moab? You can buy cold beer. I would know that one. As far as full percentage, it's slim pickins. Bigfoot Ale anyone?

Partner phaedrus

Jan 25, 2004, 8:19 PM
Post #14 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Ummm, Have you ever been to Moab? You can buy cold beer. I would know that one. As far as full percentage, it's slim pickins. Bigfoot Ale anyone?

Utah alcohol laws are why Man invented coolers and dry ice with cardboard to keep the ice from touching the beer for those long drives and long days of climbing. :wink:

delarig

Jan 25, 2004, 8:34 PM
Post #15 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, you can buy COLD beer in Moab. Not FULL PERCENTAGE cold beer as my post states. And yes, I have lived in Utah for 15 years and have been to Moab more times than I can count.

granitegod

Jan 25, 2004, 8:49 PM
Post #16 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're going to Moab on EASTER weekend, there is definitley something to watch out for....... HORDES OF JEEPS!!!!

Easter is the annual Jeep Safari Rally in Moab..... every redneck in Utah tows there jacked up Jeep behind their RV to Moab, take up all the camping areas, clog the roads (paved and unpaved), smog up the air with exhaust.... forget any chance of a quiet, wilderness like weekend anywhere in the Moab area. Better bets would be Indian Creek, Zion NP....or, just go to Moab the Monday AFTER Easter......

Partner phaedrus

Jan 25, 2004, 8:57 PM
Post #17 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you're going to Moab on EASTER weekend, there is definitley something to watch out for....... HORDES OF JEEPS!!!!

Easter is the annual Jeep Safari Rally in Moab..... every redneck in Utah tows there jacked up Jeep behind their RV to Moab, take up all the camping areas, clog the roads (paved and unpaved), smog up the air with exhaust.... forget any chance of a quiet, wilderness like weekend anywhere in the Moab area. Better bets would be Indian Creek, Zion NP....or, just go to Moab the Monday AFTER Easter......

Hmmm... good to know. Unfortunately, Truckey and I plus a few others don't have a whole lot of flexibility on the dates of our trip. :P Maybe we'll just stick to Canyonlands/Arches area, except for the Crackhouse, which we are determined to chew ourselves up on. :wink:

Thanks for the heads up on that!!

timstich

Jan 25, 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #18 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quite frankly I am shocked that this regional thread has been allowed to stay in General. Shocked, I tell you.

oudinardin

Jan 25, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #19 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As am I. Moderate anyone. A foot of fresh pow. See yah!

josephine

Jan 25, 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #20 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

josephine moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

josephine moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

cjstudent

Jan 26, 2004, 1:34 PM
Post #21 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey hey! Its not just from Utah, thats nation-wide. I would be out there for that too if I could. Rock climbing is the best, rock-crawling is a close second. Although I'm not a fan for big events, I'll be at Moab this summer 4 wheeling the Jeep and rock climbing.

phyreman

Jan 26, 2004, 1:59 PM
Post #22 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Hey hey! Its not just from Utah, thats nation-wide. I would be out there for that too if I could. Rock climbing is the best, rock-crawling is a close second. Although I'm not a fan for big events, I'll be at Moab this summer 4 wheeling the Jeep and rock climbing.

It's the 'other kind of rockclimbing' :)

I'll be there end of April... gotta try out the lift on the new Jeep Rubicon...

Partner phaedrus

Jan 26, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #23 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So how many people are going to be in the Moab/Canyonlands/Arches area over Easter weekend (April 9-12)? Truckey and I and a few others will be arriving on Saturday, April 10 and heading back on that Monday since my son has school that week (he gets to miss one day of school to climb.)

Maybe we could organize a gathering of sorts?

rocknmedic

Jan 26, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #24 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beware about going anytime near Easter. Every year for the week leading up to and including Easter weekend they have the Easter Jeep Safari. The entire town turns into a madhouse as thousands of people collect with every type of 4X4 imagined to go run trails all week. You will need to look at rooms right now to have any chance at getting one, and go with the hope that you dont end up in the improvised prision camp jail that they erect every year during easter to house the hundreds of people arrested for fighting, DUI and general stupid behavior.
Good luck....

But the good part is that it is a great area and the weathers good.

Partner phaedrus

Jan 26, 2004, 4:37 PM
Post #25 of 26 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Beware about going anytime near Easter. Every year for the week leading up to and including Easter weekend they have the Easter Jeep Safari. The entire town turns into a madhouse as thousands of people collect with every type of 4X4 imagined to go run trails all week. You will need to look at rooms right now to have any chance at getting one, and go with the hope that you dont end up in the improvised prision camp jail that they erect every year during easter to house the hundreds of people arrested for fighting, DUI and general stupid behavior.
Good luck....

But the good part is that it is a great area and the weathers good.

Yeah, I've heard about that, which is why I'm thinking that Canyonlands or Arches might be a better place to stay and probably climb, just so we can avoid the nonsense.

Thanks for the heads up!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook