RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cjstudent

Jan 24, 2004, 3:34 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Grand Teton in June
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok guys this is going to be one awesome summer for me.

I'm going to be in Yellowstone for two weeks with my family doing the hiking/fishing thing. Then my rock climbing partner is driving out with our Jeeps and we are planning on doing some 4 wheeling in Utah and either climbing in Utah (around Moab) or stopping by the Tetons on my way down from Yellowstone.

Expect to see some other posts for me about this trip later on as time gets closer but my first question is, an attempt on the Grand Teton looks like an option we are really considering but what is the weather like? I have been at Mt Washburn in Wyoming in June with alot of snow up there...so how is the Teton usually like in June? We do not ice climb and have never done any mountaineering...this would be my first attempt at it. I was just looking in the route database and saw alot of 5.4-5.7 climbs that sparked my interest. I have a long outdoor background and have been climbing on and off for a few years and hit it up hard this year. Basically just wanting to know if in June i would need to be thinking about ice axes and crampons along with other ice gear.

cjstudent

Jan 26, 2004, 1:35 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Re: Grand Teton in June [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump

brianinslc

Jan 26, 2004, 2:59 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Re: Grand Teton in June [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Expect to see some other posts for me about this trip later on as time gets closer but my first question is, an attempt on the Grand Teton looks like an option we are really considering but what is the weather like? I have been at Mt Washburn in Wyoming in June with alot of snow up there...so how is the Teton usually like in June? We do not ice climb and have never done any mountaineering...this would be my first attempt at it. I was just looking in the route database and saw alot of 5.4-5.7 climbs that sparked my interest. I have a long outdoor background and have been climbing on and off for a few years and hit it up hard this year. Basically just wanting to know if in June i would need to be thinking about ice axes and crampons along with other ice gear.

I'd say, in a typical year, it will be very snowy and icey up there. I did the Stettner to Ford coulior a few years back in early July, and it was snow all the way to the summit, and very icey and sketchy gettin' off.

Also, there's a cycle of wet avalanches around that time of year too.

I think the Tetons is havin' a good snow year. So, June will be pretty early for a climb of the Grand for most folk.

I'd say more than half of the fatal accidents in the Tetons involve "slip on snow, failure to self arrest". Read the ANAM for the past few years to get a feel for it, or call the ranger station and get their take.

Yeah, you'll need ice axe, crampons, etc. More importantly, you'll need to know how to use them.

Brian in SLC

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook