Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Stone Mt. then Enchanted Rock then what?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

tex

Jan 29, 2004, 3:31 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Stone Mt. then Enchanted Rock then what?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've read that the largest granite mound in the U.S. is Stone Mountain in Georgia. Second place is Enchanted Rock in Texas. Does anybody know third place and smaller? Thanks. Tex

iltripp

Jan 29, 2004, 4:15 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Re: Stone Mt. then Enchanted Rock then what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought Stone Mountain was in North Carolina... unless there is more than one.

That said, what is the definition of a "granite mound"? I mean, half dome must be bigger than stone mountain, but I guess it's not a granite mound.

kagunkie

Jan 29, 2004, 4:31 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both of the formations you refer to are what geologists refer to as a 'batholith' wich is formed by molten rock forming a bubble underground forced there by pressure from below and cooling. Subsequently the earth covering this formation of rock is eroded away leaving the rock exposed for us to climb on. Its a beautifull thing. I believe the title of "largest piece of granite or batholith in the USA" goes to something in YOSEMITE called El Captain, Yes thats right El Cap easily takes the title for that distinction. If you love to climb on granite go to Yosemite and have the time of your life. Shurely once youv been to Yosemite you will agree that those places cant even hold a candle to THE BIG STONE. I know since Iv been to both the places you mentioned and can tell you from personal experience.

lstockett

Jan 29, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I thought Stone Mountain was in North Carolina... unless there is more than one.

That said, what is the definition of a "granite mound"? I mean, half dome must be bigger than stone mountain, but I guess it's not a granite mound.

I don't know about relative sizes, but there is more than one Stone Mountain. The one in North Carolina is a granite dome with lots of great friction climbing routes. My first trad lead was on a route called the Great Arch there.

I've never visited the one in Georgia, but I think it's somewhere near Atlanta. I don't know if you can climb there or not.

tex

Jan 29, 2004, 4:38 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a more accurate description. I don't know why Yosemite doesn't qualify. Sorry.

Enchanted Rock is a granite dome occurring in the
Enchanted Rock State Natural Area,
a state park located in central Texas.

Located on the southeast margin of the large Enchanted Rock Batholith, the granite exposed is one of the Town Mountain Granite suite and is of Precambrian age. U-Pb zircon geochronology gives an age of 1082+-6 million years old (Walker, 1992) which corresponds to the late Proterozoic subdivision of the Precambrian. Precambrian rocks in central Texas are part of the Llano Uplift.
There are several large exfoliation domes and castle tors in the park. The largest (Enchanted Rock itself) rises 122 m. above the surrounding landscape. ER is the second largest exfoliation dome in the U.S., and the largest without dead Confederates carved in the side. [Stone Mountain outside Atlanta] This is simply the best place to look at granite in Texas.

styndall

Jan 29, 2004, 4:51 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've never visited the one in Georgia, but I think it's somewhere near Atlanta. I don't know if you can climb there or not.

It's a little bit east of Atlanta on highway 78.

The thing has a couple of southern civil war generals (Lee, Jackson, ???) carved into the face, and there's no climbing allowed. It's more a place for picknicks, day hikes, and free concerts (The White Stripes, for instance, played a massive free show there last year).

Also, there's a laser show on summer evenings, with music and a bizarre southern theme. There's a weird civil war scene, and then General Lee breaking his sword over his knee, at which point fireworks explode and the crowd cheers. I grew up there, and it still seems pretty strange. Lord knows what a visitor might think.

climbersoze

Jan 29, 2004, 4:56 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stone Mtn, GA is oft referred to as the "Redneck Rushmore"

kagunkie

Jan 29, 2004, 5:00 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know Enchanted rock well since I lived in Austin for several years and made regular visits to the place. Ill have to agree with you that its a great place to find granite in that part of the country but Iv also taken the long way around to reach the summit of El Cap's cliff and can tell you from personal experience that you could circumnavigate Enchanted rock many times before you could travel the distance it takes to encircle the BIG one just once and thats not taking into account the elevation travel required.

erockguide

Jan 29, 2004, 5:16 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget Mt. Uluru in Australia. Bigger than E-rock

indamtnsbj

Jan 29, 2004, 5:21 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brazil has tons of Granite walls, domes, spires, etc, and tons of Little Yosemites. Everyone should make Brazil a destination point.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook