Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wildduck

Feb 2, 2004, 1:47 PM
Post #26 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rock climbing vs. Scuba diving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i asked my lecturer if he liked rock climbing, he said it was ok... after that he suggested scuba diving to us ( a small bunch of students chatting with him). Later, when i walked away, i overheard him saying to my friend...

"why would someone be crazy enough to go rock climbing that is so dangerous as opposed to scuba diving ?"

But of coz i didn't say a thing. But rock climbing rocks once u get hooked on it. Scuba diving on the other hand, doesn't get you pumped up or excited.. and it cost less too. There isn't much skills underwater as opposed to rock climbs..

wonder......

micahmcguire

Feb 2, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #27 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fair enough, hawgdrvr. however, its anyone's guess as to which claims more victims per capita. until you can back this debate up with some numbers, you've merely got drivel. sensible opinion though

tweek

Feb 2, 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #28 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

have to say that in diving you are not really at the mercy of your equipment. You have backups (or should) for most of it and if everything fails your partner has enough to cover your problems. This is of course only for responsible diving.

I have lost count of regulator failures, hoses coming unscrewed, regulators freezing open, inflators getting stuck, masks breaking, and fins coming off at depth and have yet to be in danger. i have had to buddy breath more times than I want to admit and have had a plethora of other things go wrong. I have yet to make my trip to the chamber or mortuary. On the other hand one bad day at the crag and instead of buying your buddy a beer for saving your but your in the hospital or worse. My vote is climbing is more dangerous.

hawgdrver

Feb 3, 2004, 3:09 AM
Post #29 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Deleted

hns

Feb 3, 2004, 4:49 AM
Post #30 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is impossible to say which sport is more dangerous. Too wide of a range of danger levels within each sport.

From bouldering to climbing Mt. Everest and from shallow water lake diving to mixed gas, saturation cave diving. Pick your poison.

I was a safety diver at NASA’s Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory. 533+ hours of diving 46% NITROX is less than a year. My gills are almost gone ;-)

Derek

walllizzard

Feb 3, 2004, 6:27 AM
Post #31 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will agree that scuba and rock climbing cannot be placed into any comparison, earth/air versus water ppl. They are two completely different environements with equal risks involved. I have been diving since 1989 and have never had a close call or thought i might get hurt. i've been climbing since 1994 and have never been seriously hurt or had the fear that i may have serious injury. Both sports require ample knowledge, expertise and the proper equipment. Like anything in this world if you are reckless and lose the respect of the environment your in you will get hurt or even die.

smurfbluesmurf

Feb 3, 2004, 6:44 AM
Post #32 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good Question..... easy answer.

Subadiving and Rock Climbing are both extreme sports, but any idiot could think of more ways of dieing or being ingured while climbing.
here's the bottom line rock climbing is a high risk sport and with that comes the addrenilin rush. thats the only thing that matters in an extreme sport the Rush. and the only way of getting that rush is by beating the odds and getting out of deadly situations. Rock climbing is awsome and scubadiving is too, but if I had to choose id pick hands down climbing.

"climbin till I die"
SmurfBluesmurf

hawgdrver

Feb 3, 2004, 6:47 AM
Post #33 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Deleted

Partner coldclimb

Feb 3, 2004, 7:48 AM
Post #34 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say climbing. It's also a whole lot more fun to me. Wonder if there's some correlation there... :?

bazza

Feb 3, 2004, 8:57 AM
Post #35 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have Been Diving since 13 (now 41) never had a major apart from a few face to face meetings with big toothed fishies....... Been climbing nearly that long.. in "92" took a 10m free fall out of a little roof, gear pulled and hit the end of the rope and the wall at the same time split the helmet crushed C1 and C2, was 18 mths sorting it out..... least it didn't shorten me any more.

but at least I could still breathe... you know odds are if you are at 35 + m diving and are at 500 bar you probably will not have enough air left to get to the surface Wife is dive instructor .. I am still trying to sort out colors.

Still better than a car accident.

live well.

sarcat

Feb 3, 2004, 5:54 PM
Post #36 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the above comments that just about anyone can dive. Heck they let people do it all over the world without any training if they have a little $$$. I'm a certified rescue diver and all it's ever used for is body recovery from a mistake done above the water (drunk boaters, dumb parents who let their 2 year olds wander off...).

Injuries and fatalities seem higher among the climbers and mountaineers. How often do we here of 3 or 7 people dying in a SCUBA accident?

With no ##'s to back this up it's just my 2 cents.

tucsonalex

Feb 3, 2004, 6:01 PM
Post #37 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Good Question..... easy answer.

Subadiving and Rock Climbing are both extreme sports, but any idiot could think of more ways of dieing or being ingured while climbing.
here's the bottom line rock climbing is a high risk sport and with that comes the addrenilin rush. thats the only thing that matters in an extreme sport the Rush. and the only way of getting that rush is by beating the odds and getting out of deadly situations. Rock climbing is awsome and scubadiving is too, but if I had to choose id pick hands down climbing.

"climbin till I die"
SmurfBluesmurf

puke, gag, puke...
Extreme? Adrenaline rush? Cheating death? How much more cliche can you get?

jstokey

Feb 3, 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #38 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My original intent of this posting was to try to see if any one knew where I could find some numbers to support my argument that climbing is safer...Even though i doubt it is. Thanks for the info and insight so far.

matttheripper

Feb 4, 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #39 of 39 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a certified PADI divemaster with countless dives under my belt and over 9 years of experience. I have personally made several rescues, experienced lots of close calls, and witnessed two deaths due to diving. While I must say that climbing tends to scare me more, scuba diving can be extremely dangerous, especially to the inexperienced. Thousands of divers are treated for decompression illness each year, and many others die from lung expansion injuries, respiratory failure, heart attacks, and shallow water blackouts. To morons like onelung who claim 2000 dives but forget about dci, I call you an ignorant fool. Anybody who said that it was casual to run out of air at 100 feet without a problem probably had to clean the crap out of their wetsuit after surfacing. I have never witnessed any fatalities or serious injuries while climbing, but I haven't been doing it as long. I argue that both sports can be very dangerous, and high altitude technical mountaineering or long runout trad climbing is no more dangerous than coldwater wreck diving at 200+ feet.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook