RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

berkov

Feb 9, 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2079 views)
Shortcut

astroman vs. cadillac
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking into getting a new cushy harness for multipitch and light ~single pitch aid something with more than four gear loops so I won't have to carry a sling and have for the most part narrowed it down to the Cadillac and the Astroman unless you think I should consider something else

so my question is since I can't get to try them on without ordering I would like to know how much more limitting in movement the astroman is durring say a hand foot match or a high heel hook also the new astroman without the hammer loop still has seven loops and a sling on the back!?! and how does the odd single upturned loop and the rear sling come in handy?

vegastradguy

Feb 9, 2004, 2:56 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Re: astroman vs. cadillac [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the astroman feels like a sport harness when climbing...you dont even know its there. hanging belays are a breeze, comfy all day, etc, etc.

the upturned loop is my fav...rack my stoppers on it for easy access. the haul loop is also great for stowing my rescue kit and clippin the trail line to it. incl. the upturned loop, you get 7 loops. 4 on the right, 3 on the left + your haul loop.

i love my astroman...love it!

of course, i cant bag Misty Mountain...everything they make is great as well..i just dont know their products.

cragmasterp

Feb 9, 2004, 4:03 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have owned several cadillac's, and would by another one. It is a great all-around harness, and you can by the leg loops and belt seperately (still?) for that custom fit. Also has 7 gear loop, and full strength rear clip in loop.

berkov

Feb 9, 2004, 4:29 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm confused a bit I have seen pictures of the old model with a sling going from one hip to the other like the bigwall harness does the new one have this or are you just talking about the regular haul loop at the tail bone

well anyway thanks for the help trad guy from vegas you sold me on it with just your first line about feeling like a sport harness I just found the birthday present to buy for myself and may also get some wall ladders to go along with

ricardol

Feb 9, 2004, 5:32 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the astroman does not have a hip-to-hip loop, its a full strength haul loop at the tailbone.

.. i love my astroman -- i use it at the gym, at the crag, and when doing long multipitch routes .. a breeze to do a hanging belay on .. and very comfortable at catching falls at the gym.

.. i'm still getting used to hte upturned loop, i use it to rack trad-draws on it .. though i can't quite see the benefit of it being upturned, other than the gear on that loop hangs higher than the rest (and away from the rest) ..

.. i've never noticed the astroman getting in the way of my climbing ..

-- ricardo

cjstudent

Feb 9, 2004, 5:57 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also torn between the two, from what I have researched you can't go wrong with either one. The Caddy just looks like it has more padding from pictures. I'll be getting one of the two in the up-coming months. Need another rope first!

diplodocus

Feb 9, 2004, 7:26 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out the new Wildcountry Sychro Ziplock Harness! 9 gear loops and 10mm padding!

offwidth

Feb 12, 2004, 1:56 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My astroman harness does not impede my movement while doing mantels; my old stiff tendons and muscles provide all of the resistance.

The upturned gear loop does come in handy, when I bother to use the gear loops. If you expect that you will have to slam in a particular piece fast from a bad stance during the pitch, it is nice to hang that piece off the upturned loop.

Partner cliffhanger9

Feb 12, 2004, 2:06 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/shopping/index.php?c=27

zetedog

Feb 12, 2004, 3:15 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had the Caddy for a couple of years now, and it has worn pretty well. The caddy that I have has fleece around the belt (unfinished around the edges, I believe they have now put a finished lip on the top and bottom), which becomes really hot, and sometimes chaffs on hot days. I remember trying on Misty's Titan at the time, and noting that their padding in that was would be better, but being a typical cheap climber, I chose the less expensive option. Not saying that I am unhappy wiht my selection, but would have been more happy with the Titan.

The Caddy trad climbs great and is super comfy for hanging free belays, but I was damn happy to have a belay seat the couple of times I have done aid climbing. I do enjoy having the six loops and a haul loop, helps keep the personal ClusterF to a minimum that I get going on my harness during long trad climbs or while aid climbing. Can't say I've every pulled off a hand foot match or heel hook while trad climbing, but I have done a bunch of high steps, and have not found any problems. I expect it to feel it more than I would my sport harness, but I normally have 10+ Lbs of crap hanging off it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook