Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

fullahsiffur

Feb 12, 2004, 4:11 AM
Post #26 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Re: To all young climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ALL of you have it easy! I have to keep my grades perfect to climb- no B, even in honors classes- and if I do, guess what- I have no one with whom to climb!

Woe is ME! :( :cry:

I am a martyr for the faith. Maybe when I move on I will be the patron saint of young, grounded climbers... :)

rockcool

Feb 12, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #27 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not because of bad grades, but my mom won't let me go climb if I haven't finished all my homework!! :(

chanf

Feb 12, 2004, 4:27 AM
Post #28 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Importantly, try to keep "climbing" from becoming a point of conflict or "red flag" between you and your parents...use some other activity as a "grounding decoy." Pretend to like TV so that they ground you from that, instead of climbing next time.

Totally agree, i pretend I don't care about anything so i can do everything! Don't get too bummed out, something better always comes along.. work hard play harder right?

greyicewater

Feb 12, 2004, 5:02 AM
Post #29 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

life should be about having fun! sadly it's not

ropeburn

Feb 12, 2004, 6:55 AM
Post #30 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all that I might have learned at home by myself."

Partner coldclimb

Feb 12, 2004, 8:54 AM
Post #31 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all that I might have learned at home by myself."

Right on!

I hate school. I take the easiest classes just to get the heck out. Only 70 more days. Take easy classes, learn the things you want to do and are actually interested in through independant studies or something. Make it as close to fun as you can and your grades will improve. I recieved a letter today for 4.0 GPA last semester. Easy classes. It's key to enjoying life during school, and it also helps keep the parents happy. ;)

hvs_climber18

Feb 12, 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #32 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it sucks cause you really wanna get out there but you cant becuase you arent alowed out and i have had that done before and it aint nice

dontfall

Feb 12, 2004, 4:06 PM
Post #33 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
i started cheating. i felt like a loser at first, but a total winner once i got good at it. it's just so easy. was so stupid not doing it sooner. anyway, at first i just looked over at other people during the tests, but those snobs got better fast at covering up with their hands. then i snuck in slips of cheat sheets that i'd sit on, and whenever i needed an answer, i'd just open my legs and down between my thighs on the chair would be the answers. teachers are so dumb. they never caught on. parents are clueless too. they didn't care how much i love to climb. it's all about the rock, you know. anyway, because i didn't have to study anymore, i have all the time to climb and hang out with the cool guys and hot chicks at the crags. who needs school anyway. i'm gonna onsight 5.15's and make millions from all the sponsors. man, that's the life

I hope you enjoy waiting in lines...

Lines at soup kitchens, welfare offices, etc.

I knew alot of kids like you when I was in high school. I loved helping out those cheaters, always giving them the wrong answers.

ouflyboy9

Feb 12, 2004, 4:28 PM
Post #34 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear you're grounded dude....I think I spent about half of my childhood grounded, anyway do not start cheating....you'll sell yourself short, and besides, if you get caught, you're parents are really going to be pissed. Remember the harder you work the harder you can play! Don't set yourself up for a Darwin Award!

dontfall

Feb 12, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #35 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wheres drkodos when you need him. He would probably have a good view to this topic.

rivercityrni

Feb 12, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #36 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you've got an understanding belayer, why not study and climb at the same time? Have your belayer ask you a question, and you have to answer before you can touch the hold (best done in a gym, on toprope). Start out with just hands, or just feet, and work up to doing it every move. Great training for endurance in climbing, and great for school.

skiclimb

Feb 13, 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #37 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as you get yourself ready for calculus ...can read and write reasonable sentences your set for college. If you are planning on getting into some prestigous school then grades matter. If not who cares. They can't stop you from going part time for a couple semesters then gettin in on the grades that actually matter, the college ones...BTW don't go to college unless YOU really want to. if you do go to college make sure you keep a 3.0+ GPA or your wasting money.

A better way of thinking about school is this...if you have to do it..then do your best. For your own personal self respect.

boulderqt

Feb 13, 2004, 1:12 AM
Post #38 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My grades were slipping at the begging of the semester. so my mom grounded me. lucky for me she doesn't get home till 7:30 at night. :twisted: that leaves a little bit of time to sneak in some climbing.

moabbeth

Feb 13, 2004, 1:34 AM
Post #39 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you hate school, there's a simple solution....just take lots of Auto Shop classes, graduate and become an auto mechanic and you can live just about anywhere you want to climb if you get a trade skill like that. Plenty of trade professions pay just as good or better than those you can get with a cubicle future and a college degree.

But if you are going to college route, hit the books in high school so that you don't enter college as a slacker and fail out.

noface

Feb 13, 2004, 2:03 AM
Post #40 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I study at walls. The mind is open while climbing why not cram some knowledge into while you can.

litleclimberchick

Feb 17, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #41 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yep i have this problem too. my mom says that i am capable of getting straight A's [which] but that i spend too much time climbing and that is the reason why i have a 3.0 [weighted]. so she tries to cut back on my climbing as much as possible. evil devil woman :evil:

katydid

Feb 17, 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #42 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yep i have this problem too. my mom says that i am capable of getting straight A's [which] but that i spend too much time climbing and that is the reason why i have a 3.0 [weighted].

Let's see. You admit that you're capable of getting straight A's, but you have a weighted 3.0. That means that if you weren't taking AP classes you'd have a C GPA. Sounds to me like you're spending a fair bit of time screwing around, even if that "screwing around" is doing something that you love, like climbing.

Listen. Barring a horrible car accident or something of that ilk, climbing will always be there. The chance to go to college and get a decent job to support your climbing habit will not. If you want to be like me and earn 10 bucks an hour typing crap for a living, go right ahead and keep screwing around. Don't take advantage of your intelligence and the opportunity it brings. By the time you're done with rent, utilities, and groceries, you're not going to get to go climbing nearly as much as you want.

Like you, I spent most of high school (and college) doing what I wanted instead of looking to the future (IOW screwing around). I know it's hard when you're a teenager to look at the big picture. But because I screwed around when I was younger, I'm now having to go back to school at 32 because my current skillset doesn't afford me any opportunities to get a job where I can take care of myself and my climbing habit.

Your mom isn't an "evil devil woman", hon.

She just doesn't want you to end up like me.

k.

mcheshi

Mar 1, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #43 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yep i have this problem too. my mom says that i am capable of getting straight A's [which] but that i spend too much time climbing and that is the reason why i have a 3.0 [weighted]. so she tries to cut back on my climbing as much as possible. evil devil woman :evil:

hahah i agree with you. i was in gt and people expect so much out of you, i made a conscious choice not to make straight a's because that was not something i wanted (and it ticked everyone off;)). finally though my mom pulled me out of public school and put me in college where so far i have some of the top grades in my classes. gawd, the problem with my mom is that she is trying to live through me. the way i see it she wants me to get good grades because that is something that she wanted to have. i had the same problem when i had a magazine buy a poem i wrote, she made me write poetry for months before i finally had to tell her that i proved to her i could get published but it was not something i wanted to spend the rest of my life doing.
finally it got so bad we had to go to a 'special' counciler for gifted children where the guy told my mom that if i didn't want to do it then not to push it. i don't think she's listened, but gosh i'm gonna finish this semester of college and probably go back to highschool. i was put in college to 'challenge' my brain, i was so dissappointed at how easy it was. if good grades is not what you want then i dont' think anyone should tell you otherwise, and you could still go to college when your older (probably not an ivy league, but how many people that study study study get into those anyways?), i mean i was 13 when i had the highest grade in my comp. class, there is no way that an older person could not pass college... it's a joke.

ontario_guide

Mar 1, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #44 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

find a study, there are lots of them, linking physical activity to good grades. Leave the study somewhere in your house for your parents to find. Chances are they'll get the message.

Partner baja_java

Mar 1, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #45 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i made a conscious choice not to make straight a's

gawd, the problem with my mom is that she is trying to live through me. the way i see it she wants me to get good grades because that is something that she wanted to have

i'm very disappointed in you, mcheshi. almost like you're not even trying to sabotage yourself. and for that i'm giving you a BIG FAT F! you need to re-double your efforts. all the grade skipping and assorted accalades. what are you? afraid to challenge yourself with a little GPA death spiral? c'mon, girl, get on with the crash and burn! set yourself a goal and stick to it. like cutting at least 2 classes a day. and you've barely scratched the surface of means to foil your mother's plans to live through you. do what she'll never do. think outside of the box. start smoking. have sex for money. if that's still too tame, try running away from home

now try some of that and keep us posted

dynamitegirl

Mar 1, 2004, 7:15 PM
Post #46 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now that Iīm addicted to climbing, my grades in school are getting worse, but I just have to manage this and the next year and I should be able to do it somehow and climb too!!!!! Try to stick to the things that you love....and that are really important and donīt waste your time watching stupid things in tv or playin computer. I guess that should help.

fiend

Mar 1, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #47 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think its better be a stoopid climbr then a smrt person who is lame and studyies everyone knows skool ins't cool and only geecks like it!

chodeman

Mar 3, 2004, 3:54 AM
Post #48 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My grades have only improved since i started climbing. Probably because if i dont do good then i wont be able to climb

fish

Mar 5, 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #49 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grades and climbing... Interesting topic. I argue with the parents constantly about it. Basically grades come first they say, and climbing second. I often have to stay at home a weekend for a report or something. Like the other weekend when I had to write and AP Euro History paper, that was fun. 10 pages... I get good grades, but I figure, if it doesn't matter if I get a 4.5 or a 4.0, cause at least I'm not a loser who studies all the time. I'm just dreading junior year which is coming up next...

I hate school, especially Brophy College Preparatory...

climbsomething

Mar 5, 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #50 of 81 (9252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i started cheating. i felt like a loser at first, but a total winner once i got good at it. it's just so easy. was so stupid not doing it sooner. anyway, at first i just looked over at other people during the tests, but those snobs got better fast at covering up with their hands. then i snuck in slips of cheat sheets that i'd sit on, and whenever i needed an answer, i'd just open my legs and down between my thighs on the chair would be the answers. teachers are so dumb. they never caught on. parents are clueless too. they didn't care how much i love to climb. it's all about the rock, you know. anyway, because i didn't have to study anymore, i have all the time to climb and hang out with the cool guys and hot chicks at the crags. who needs school anyway. i'm gonna onsight 5.15's and make millions from all the sponsors. man, that's the life
and HOW many people fell for this? sheesh.

*slips b_j a high five*

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook