Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
reno bouldering
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

wyoclimber3

Feb 17, 2004, 7:01 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1889 views)
Shortcut

reno bouldering  (North_America: Canada: Quebec: Laurentians: Montagne_D_Argent: M___M)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone got any beta on bouldering in the reno vicinity? i've been told of a place up by winnemucca lake (purgatory boulders??) and another place somewhere south of reno (white boulders???). i wasn't paying as much attention as i should have been. anything within 1/2 hour of reno would be awesome, but i would be interested in anything within a couple hours of reno. oh yeah i'm talking about the dry side of the mountains, NOT the tahoe area. i'm looking for winter bouldering spots. thanks a bunch

tylerm

Feb 17, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Re: reno bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theres a bit, but nothing significant to speak of. Try google. There is some site called, surprisingly enough, reno/tahoe climbing. If you're up for it, I live in Incline, and would love to hit up some stuff off the 431 just north of Incline on a sunny day- there are about 6 boulders of worth up there and 5 worthy climbs with lake views that are fine when it's clear out...also some more on the East shore beaches that can be explored. Otherwise- I'd love to tag along on a weekend fo some stuff near Reno-mainly roped...PM me; I'd like to meet up.

sesser125

Feb 19, 2004, 5:17 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last time I checked there was a small boulder in the parking lots of the Golden nugget or the Hilton. I hear they each contain problems from V1-V11 good luck

usaclimbing

Mar 21, 2004, 5:36 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

golden nugget in carson? i dont thiink so.... i think maybe the boulder you are thinking of is the one up in truckee with the smaller boulder and fencing on top...

ourgatory is so so... and its an hour and a half. there is stuff by doyle, ca but you'll probably never find it unless someone takes you out there. there is some stuff in washoe valley theses days too but i think its the same situation. there used to be the keystone boulder but i think that that is closed now because of home contruction. otherwise wait for donner and tahoe to melt out.

tahoe_rock_master

Mar 21, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
golden nugget in carson? i dont thiink so.... i think maybe the boulder you are thinking of is the one up in truckee with the smaller boulder and fencing on top...

It's called "the rocking stone". It is right outside of downtown, at the veterans hall. You can see it from I-80. Looked pretty good. Although I live here I have never tried bouldering it.

Matt

ehcsztein

Mar 24, 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Purgatory is probably the best bet...t here is some quality stone out there... good enough for day trips etc during the winter...and it is pretty easy to locate etc etc

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook