Premier Sponsor:

r
Deleted

Feb 27, 2004, 5:00 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Gear for a YMCA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy some climbing gear for an indoor YMCA rock climbing gym. This gear will be used primarily to get kids off the streets and started in rock climbing. We need to replace at least four Petzl Pandion harnesses and five 20m ropes as well as some top rope anchor hardwear. Being a YMCA we don't have a lot of money so we need to look around for the best prices. If anyone can help us out that would be great. If you have any gear you could sell us or know of a place that sells in volume please let me know. We could buy up to 12 harnesses if the price is right.

gman

Feb 27, 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gear for a YMCA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone said this in another thread, so I will just repeat it. If you contact the manufacturers of the products you want, many will be willing to donate stuff to your cause, that is as long as you can verify your cause. Best of luck to you in this venture.....

r
Deleted

Feb 27, 2004, 5:09 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I contacted Petzl but couldn't get much of an answer. I just asked if they gave discounts and no one seemed to know. Does anyone know of any places that are likely to help YMCAs out? Any rope places?

gman

Feb 27, 2004, 5:12 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just do a little research in the "gear" section. And then a little on the net itself. Get some contact numbers and contact the companies. Someone with the company should know who to put you in touch with. The key is research and trust me (and not to be rude), but nobody here will is gonna do that for you. :D

nakedisforme

Feb 27, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try Metolius. I have dealt with them for pro deals and they are usually pretty helpful. They'd probably be more than happy to give you 40% off. They also own a separate rope company (Mammut I believe). Where is your YMCA located?

r
Deleted

Feb 27, 2004, 5:40 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys for the help so far. I will have to check with Metoulis. My Y is located in Michigan so there is not much climbing besides in gyms. You have to take a hike to find real rock.

reprieve

Feb 27, 2004, 6:18 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you want to buy retail, check out gearexpress.com . they have really good prices, free shipping if your order is over 20 bucks, and regularly offer blemished and closeout items at large discounts. good luck, sounds like you've got a good thing going.

r
Deleted

Feb 27, 2004, 6:26 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have actually ordered stuff for the Y from gearexpress before. Great service and shipping. I received my package the next day with free shipping! I know they sell short ropes in various sizes that I will check to see what I can get for pricing, but the Petzl Pandion harnesses are like $50 or $55 which adds up when you need at least 4.

nagatana

Feb 27, 2004, 7:21 AM
Post #9 of 12 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

r, the YMCA near me has a small climbing wall. If you'd like, I'll try calling the climbing coordinator and asking how she replaces their gear.

r
Deleted

Feb 27, 2004, 7:41 AM
Post #10 of 12 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
r, the YMCA near me has a small climbing wall. If you'd like, I'll try calling the climbing coordinator and asking how she replaces their gear.

Hey, thanks a lot, that would be great! I live not to far from you in Michigan.

climbfrog

Feb 27, 2004, 9:52 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to run a climbing program at a YMCA in Berwyn, a suburb close to the West Side of Chicago. We went to a company called Cliffs and Cables. When you contact them ask for Ed, and tell them Mat Zahalka from Australia sent you. Or, you can go to Yates. Thier number is 1/800 yates16. Ask for Karen. GREAT PEOPLE!!!! They will give you industy prices. I think the harnesses were about 34 bucks each. They did a manual double back at the waist, and a cam-lock at the legs. It makes the kids learn how to double pass. I hope this helps you, as Im sure it will. By the way, Yates has a website. It's, www.yatesgear.com

b_fost

Feb 27, 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes, I contacted Petzl but couldn't get much of an answer. I just asked if they gave discounts and no one seemed to know. Does anyone know of any places that are likely to help YMCAs out? Any rope places?

I would try Black Diamond and Metolius. many top of the line companies are located outside of the US, so they might have doubts about donating to an American cause.

Forums : Archive : Used Gear / Great Deals

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook