Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
Drilled Angle (w/Glue) What drill bit size?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

roughster

Mar 3, 2004, 1:52 AM
Post #1 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Drilled Angle (w/Glue) What drill bit size?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How much smaller than the angle do you drill the hole? 3/8" hole for a 1/2" angle correct? Basically I will be using angles as glue-ins in sandstone'ish rock ( Rockville ) that as a matrix is solid, but the large loose grain is preventing expansion bolts to "bite" while tightening.

Yes I know the obvious question is why not just use glue ins, but I have about 20 angles lying around I never plan on using and think they will be good "one off" glue-ins when that 1 placement on the route needs it.

Also, if I remember right from reading it somwhere, don't you generally drill them at an degree slightly "up" (meaning the eyes points down but that "eye end" is up, and the point (non-eye) end is down) from perpendicular from the rock? What say about 5 degrees?

http://www.safeclimbing.org/...n/images/DR_fig7.gif

Yes I have read the ASCA Article, but want to know what people think from 1st hand experience. Also, what about adding some glue to the hole before pounding it in to give it a little extra strength?

Desert Rats please help :)

timpanogos

Mar 3, 2004, 3:49 PM
Post #2 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Re: Drilled Angle (w/Glue) What drill bit size? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The 2000 August edition of Climbing magazine had a great article – “The new iron Pitons bashed and beaten”

They make a good argument against using your spare pins as fixers.

“First, the piton must resist corrosion. Softer carbon alloys corrode less quickly than chrome steel”

They suggest using the newer soft pins that are available on the market for any fixed pins. Your angles are hard and made this way for ease of removal and replacement.

“It’s hard to find good soft pitons in the states. Many shops don’t carry them, and American distributors trim the pin lines of the European manufactures they represent. We found good blades fro fixing made by Cassin, Charlet-Moser, Kong, and Stubai, with the Stubai soft-iron blades being the best. The Ushba titanium blades also made excellent fixers.”

brianinslc

Mar 3, 2004, 4:11 PM
Post #3 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How much smaller than the angle do you drill the hole? 3/8" hole for a 1/2" angle correct? Basically I will be using angles as glue-ins in sandstone'ish rock that as a matrix is solid, but the large loose grain is preventing expansion bolts to "bite" while tightening.

but want to know what people think from 1st hand experience. Also, what about adding some glue to the hole before pounding it in to give it a little extra strength?

Have you tried the Fixe Triplex or the studs with the double expansion sleeve? I'd probably use those instead of baby angles.

I saw a busted baby angle (from Spaceshot in Zion) last year. Scary. I think the pins get damaged when you pound them in to a tight hole (and the placement needs to be tight for the pin to stay). This one broke back of the eye along the top part of the spine. I wonder if glue would accentuate the corrosion process.

Baby angles just aren't a good long term solution especially for an area which might be a popular sport climbing venue. You'll never really know how well they'll resist outward pull (how much spring action is there keeping the pin in the hole). And, when you damage the protective coating by placing them, you won't be able to see how badly corrosion is eatin' away at them.

But...if need be...drill a 3/8" hole and gouge out the last 1/2" or so, especially where the eye will seat (ovalize at the surface of the hole). 5 degree downward slant sounds about right.

How 'bout drilling a 3/8" pilot hole, blow it out real good, then step up to 1/2" diameter and be careful about pulling the drill out to clean off the dust every 1" or so? Then try an expansion bolt. Or a stud. Dynabolt Gold.

If the rock's poor enough to not seat an expansion bolt, it probably won't hold a baby angle very well either. Sounds like glue-ins might be the best option.

Brian in SLC

diesel___smoke

Mar 3, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #4 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=26324

I wouldn't tell someone with a mentality portrayed in the link above anything regarding this matter (read the caption and the title).

spike

Mar 3, 2004, 6:08 PM
Post #5 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a nice image:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=4183

copperhead

Mar 3, 2004, 6:12 PM
Post #6 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=26324
(thank you Diesel)

POWER DRILLS ARE FOR PRUSSIES!!!!

If you have to ask...

And your hammer is a wimpy tack hammer - get a real one! And a HAND DRILL too!!!! Where’s your test-tube brush?

Or maybe you should just leave the rock alone and quit placing so many damn bolts!!!!!

Have you ever heard of a top-rope? Or will that not qualify for your resume?

-American Chopper
Retro Bolt Choppers of America

brianinslc

Mar 3, 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #7 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=26324
I wouldn't tell someone with a mentality portrayed in the link above anything regarding this matter (read the caption and the title).

Yeah, no kiddin'. I mean if a feller can't even afford a Hilti TE-6A...

And, look how he has the Bosch attached...a long loose cord. Man, snug that baby up with a clove hitch thru that hole. Geez, kids these daze...

And really, what's that handle and depth gauge buy you? Ditch those and haulin' that sucker up is much easier.

Save a pound or 2 by usin' the 1.7aH battery too.

Smaller hammer will still set a bolt just fine. Try a Grivel Thor. Built in nut tool too.

Get rid of that blow tube and get a Hilti bulb. No one wants yer spit in that bolt hole...

-Brian in SLC

caughtinside

Mar 3, 2004, 7:04 PM
Post #8 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks diesel, thanks copper. You guys are idiots. Got nothing better to do than troll roughster?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

tedc

Mar 3, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #9 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here is a nice image:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=4183

If I were going to use that pin for anything but body weight I'd tie it off. If you are going to go to the trouble of guling in an angle at least drill the hole deep (or big) enough.

roughster,
How about I give you $1 apeice for those pins and use them "properly"? Then you can go buy a few "proper" gule-ins and do a job that you will be proud of.

diesel___smoke

Mar 3, 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #10 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Please don't judge anyone based upon their financial viability...

brianinslc

Mar 3, 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #11 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Please don't judge anyone based upon their financial viability...

And...you also said...

In reply to:

Hmmm....

Seems like you're the one doing the judging...(in case you don't get it, I was pokin' fun).

How 'bout this...please, no more off topic posts. Start your own if you want to flame someone about a picture they posted.

Unless you have something useful to add to this thread?

Thanks,

Brian in SLC

diesel___smoke

Mar 3, 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #12 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine was regarding ethics, and you'll noticed I said 'portrayed.' I have made no definitive conclusion regarding his ethics, though I question them.

caughtinside

Mar 3, 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #13 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Again, you have failed. Is this thread about ethics?

diesel___smoke

Mar 4, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #14 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Again, you have failed. Is this thread about ethics?

Indirectly it is. Perhaps you don't understand the repercussions of such knowledge - Would you teach someone how to build a bomb if they were going to use such knowledge to indiscriminately and permanently alter a finite asset? I think not, or I should hope not. Same concept.

roughster

Mar 4, 2004, 3:22 AM
Post #15 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
How much smaller than the angle do you drill the hole? 3/8" hole for a 1/2" angle correct? Basically I will be using angles as glue-ins in sandstone'ish rock that as a matrix is solid, but the large loose grain is preventing expansion bolts to "bite" while tightening.

but want to know what people think from 1st hand experience. Also, what about adding some glue to the hole before pounding it in to give it a little extra strength?

Have you tried the Fixe Triplex or the studs with the double expansion sleeve? I'd probably use those instead of baby angles.

I saw a busted baby angle (from Spaceshot in Zion) last year. Scary. I think the pins get damaged when you pound them in to a tight hole (and the placement needs to be tight for the pin to stay). This one broke back of the eye along the top part of the spine. I wonder if glue would accentuate the corrosion process.

Baby angles just aren't a good long term solution especially for an area which might be a popular sport climbing venue. You'll never really know how well they'll resist outward pull (how much spring action is there keeping the pin in the hole). And, when you damage the protective coating by placing them, you won't be able to see how badly corrosion is eatin' away at them.

But...if need be...drill a 3/8" hole and gouge out the last 1/2" or so, especially where the eye will seat (ovalize at the surface of the hole). 5 degree downward slant sounds about right.

How 'bout drilling a 3/8" pilot hole, blow it out real good, then step up to 1/2" diameter and be careful about pulling the drill out to clean off the dust every 1" or so? Then try an expansion bolt. Or a stud. Dynabolt Gold.

If the rock's poor enough to not seat an expansion bolt, it probably won't hold a baby angle very well either. Sounds like glue-ins might be the best option.

Brian in SLC

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the good info. We have tried to different types (Rawl and Dual Expansion Fixe) both in 3/8" and 1/2" diameters for the rawls as well. The problem is the loose matrix means that there is no bite to start the expansion process. Its really a funky situation. The rock is solid enough to hold a expansion that you can get to bite, but sometimes it is the case you just cant get it to bite at all. The bolt itself just spins inside of the hole.

As for the angles, you didn't really say what you thought about adding glue to the hole before pounding in the pin in essence using the angle as a glue in.

So basically following standard drilled angle procedure, but then before pounding it in, slap in say 1/4 depth worth of glue and then pound in the pin. The glue should bond the pin to the rock thus increasing its holding power, but also porviding some protective measure to the surface of the pin.

My biggest cocnern here is longevity of the pin. Has anyone actually used/seen Glued-Drilled-Angles before? I have some Glue-in studs that I can use if need, just figured I would think about the pins. I don't anticipate this place being a sport climbing hotspot, but then again considering the relative derth of good sport climbing in the bay Area, you never know :lol:

brianinslc

Mar 4, 2004, 3:29 PM
Post #16 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for the good info. We have tried to different types (Rawl and Dual Expansion Fixe) both in 3/8" and 1/2" diameters for the rawls as well. The problem is the loose matrix means that there is no bite to start the expansion process. Its really a funky situation. The rock is solid enough to hold a expansion that you can get to bite, but sometimes it is the case you just cant get it to bite at all. The bolt itself just spins inside of the hole.

Triplex is a bolt that doesn't rely on the expansion cone to be seated firmly. If you haven't tried those, they might be a good solution. The sleeve flanges and stays right under the nut and installing forces the cone and sleeve into compression. Really neat design. Make sure to use a 12mm drill bit.

Can't tell if the dynabolt does that as well, probably not.

In reply to:
As for the angles, you didn't really say what you thought about adding glue to the hole before pounding in the pin in essence using the angle as a glue in.

The busted in half baby angle I saw in Zion appeared to have glue on it. I stated that I wondered if the glue might accentuate or encourage corrosion.

In reply to:
So basically following standard drilled angle procedure, but then before pounding it in, slap in say 1/4 depth worth of glue and then pound in the pin. The glue should bond the pin to the rock thus increasing its holding power, but also porviding some protective measure to the surface of the pin.

The pin stays in the rock by compression (spring action of the angle in the rock). Glue, once it hardens, might compromise that spring action.

In reply to:
My biggest cocnern here is longevity of the pin. Has anyone actually used/seen Glued-Drilled-Angles before? I have some Glue-in studs that I can use if need, just figured I would think about the pins.

There are TONS of glued in angles in Zion. Based on a few I've seen, I don't think they last.

I think the glue is a bad idea. The advantage of an angle piton is its compression. Glue could affect that. If the glue does stick to the pin, then the pin will lose its springyness. Also, for glue to work well, it seems to like threaded rods, or, something to bond around if there is some type of adhesive failure. Angles are smooth sided.

And, unless you know how a certain glue will affect the piton with regard to corrosion, I wouldn't use it. You'd be putting a chemically active material around an item which, if its working properly, is under stress. We've all heard of stress corrosion cracking. When you drive the pin in, you also damage the protective coating on the pin. So, you have exposed fresh metal to an active chemical reation. Too many unknowns.

I think you either go with a dry compression, or go with glue, but don't mix the two.

Hey, we're back on topic, sorta...!

Brian in SLC

roughster

Mar 4, 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #17 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the food for thought. I really appreciate it!

Aaron

diesel___smoke

Mar 5, 2004, 4:07 AM
Post #18 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations for assisting someone unreliable and irresponsible in the everlasting alteration of rock. For this we are deeply consoled.

Caughtinside - Do not PM me anymore.

bsmoot

Mar 5, 2004, 6:06 AM
Post #19 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Guys,

Have any of you had experience placing glue-ins in softer sandstone? like lighter colored rock? On the Great White Throne, I was placing 1/2" bolts into 3/8" holes in order to get a tight fit. I had to flare the entrance of the hole to get the Rawl started....They cranked down O.K. but I still couldn't help thinking if glue-ins would be better. I just wonder how well the glue would bond to really soft sandstone.

In harder, darker Zion sandstone I've found it works well to start cranking on the rawl after tapping the bolt in about an inch deep. then tap another 1/2 " crank lightly and repeat this process until the bolt is all the way in. The bolt now has a nice snug fit to where you can crank down a lot harder and finish the job.

roughster

Mar 5, 2004, 10:06 AM
Post #20 of 20 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey Guys,

Have any of you had experience placing glue-ins in softer sandstone? like lighter colored rock? On the Great White Throne, I was placing 1/2" bolts into 3/8" holes in order to get a tight fit. I had to flare the entrance of the hole to get the Rawl started....They cranked down O.K. but I still couldn't help thinking if glue-ins would be better. I just wonder how well the glue would bond to really soft sandstone.

In harder, darker Zion sandstone I've found it works well to start cranking on the rawl after tapping the bolt in about an inch deep. then tap another 1/2 " crank lightly and repeat this process until the bolt is all the way in. The bolt now has a nice snug fit to where you can crank down a lot harder and finish the job.

Yeah Brian, we tried the tap, hand tighten till snug, tap, hand tighten, etc... We tried not tightening at all till it was sunk, etc... Hell we tried just about everything :( This rock is just a bitch to get stuff expanding in! We didn't try 1/2" in 3/8" holes though. Hmmm..... I am leaning towards just glue ins at this point.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook