Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering area's/potential in Malta
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dalai

Mar 6, 2004, 1:12 AM
Post #1 of 7 (5211 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering area's/potential in Malta  (North_America: United_States: Washington: Eastern_Washington: Dishman_Rocks: Dishman)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be travelling to Malta later in the year with my wife (tentatively September/October). On the return journey back to Australia I am planning on stopping at Fontainebleau, and will therefore have my mat and gear with me.

Are there any established bouldering areas or areas which would offer scope as a bouldering location? What grades and number of problems if they exist?

Any information would be greatly appreciated

dalai

Mar 11, 2004, 11:42 AM
Post #2 of 7 (5211 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering area's/potential in Malta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Deliberate bump. Anyone with beta on Malta potential?

xav

Apr 17, 2004, 7:49 PM
Post #3 of 7 (5211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi

If you are coming to malta then try to make it to gozo. The bouldering potentional here is great. There are no real guides but this does not matter as there are some great locations with endless choices. if you want more info then get in touch.

malt

Jul 24, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #4 of 7 (5211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,from malta.I am Jeffrey,a local climber and regarding your questions about where to boulder and what grade....
Bouldering locations in MALTA/Gozo are found sparsily around the island.
In every spot there can be a dozen of problems,with also chalkmarked limestone projects waiting to be solved or powered up!
Mosta valley(up to 6c+font and 7??font projects!/fomm ir-rih/victoria lines/ghar hasan(also DwSoloes up to 7a+)/Babu valley etc......in Malta.
---Ghajn abdul/Mgarr ix-xini/San Blas/dwejra/kercem.in Gozo.
Gozo is a must!Ghajn Abdul is a hill with wavy limestone caves(prehistoric dwellings around a natural ground water source) and has scattered big boulders.Wild camping is possible.Afive star San lawrence hotel is 5 minutes away too.
Mgarr ix-Xini has perfect 7a+/7b/7b+ pocketed red overhangs and also 6b/6b+/6c pocketed white walls! Seeing a pic of u trying Double boiler...then dont miss Metamorphosy(a ~?7b font line on monos on the middle of the high boulder in the middle of the valley).Bells of the deep(middle of the seawater side cave)is of equal challenge,and the deep water is your spotter. San Blas and Ghar Lapsi offer 8a bolted routes and 8b projects....Anyway just contact me on:79254153,for showing around the areas and try to tick new projects!

dalai

Sep 9, 2005, 4:36 AM
Post #5 of 7 (5211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After having to postpone last years trip to Malta, it's finally happening.

I will be definitely bringing my shoes and chalkbag for some bouldering, perhaps the harness, rope and quickdraws.

Any people wanting to hook up for a climb/boulder during October, please PM me to organise something.

We will be staying on Malta, but will also be travelling to Gozo.

Ciao Martin

dalai

Sep 9, 2005, 4:37 AM
Post #6 of 7 (5211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit - double post

malt

Sep 9, 2005, 2:01 PM
Post #7 of 7 (5211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

October is a very good season to climb in malta,as mostly anywhere in europe i guess.by the time being there is no updated published guidebook,so going around to find the best locations can be a hassle.asking the locals might be of no help,as most of them have no idea what it is about.
anyway if you contact me,or anybody who climbs you can easily get driven around all locations in possibly one day!the longest distance in malta can be driven in 30minutes.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook