Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

curt

Oct 10, 2003, 2:27 AM
Post #26 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing vs football [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yeah, what Ron said. Oh--and you really ought to find a new friend.

Curt

akd

Oct 10, 2003, 2:50 AM
Post #27 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I give this thread a 7 in the troll-o-meter, nice job!
That said, I couldn't answer the question since I don't know wether the question is about "american" (USA) football or "real" football (rest of the world) :wink: ...

teddy

Oct 10, 2003, 3:02 AM
Post #28 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol i cant even take u american footballers seriously, any aussies here will know what i mean (especially if they follow AFL) you guys should watch a big game of AFL some time... its like getting tackled from any direction at any time while u have the ball, people walk on ur back with studs to jump higher... u dont need padding, main reason i cant take NFL seriously.... the padding. That said it is a great sport but the padding and the constantly stopping and the being too pansy to stay on the field for offense AND defense... *sigh*

Oh and on the topic of skiing vs snowboarding... pfft :P before i get started on this one - ill admit im a newbie to all three (x-country skiing, downhill and snowboarding) and ive done downhill the most.
I've done 3 days of snowboarding, 1 of x-country, about a week of downhill... i found from all of those that x-country was boring as hell and not fun enough for my liking but then again i had skis that were about 2 feet too tall for me, i like downhill skiing - its probably better when u get into it more though. But snowboarding i love, i did it for 3 days and had some of the maddest times ever. If i lived somewhere cold i would only do 2 sports, climbing and boarding.

But above all... climbing kicks ass 8)

alpinerock

Oct 10, 2003, 3:16 AM
Post #29 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Your friend blatantly admitted that he is inferrior. My friend does that all the time on the topic of snowboarding.

The fact that snowboarding is inferior to skiing? well yes everyone knows that snowboarding is for people who either can't learn to ski, or quit skiing because they are unable to progress in it.

Lol amen

valeberga

Oct 10, 2003, 3:29 AM
Post #30 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He just doesn't see the point. There is no coach screaming at you, there are no cheerleaders, there is no game jersey to wear on fridays, no touchdowns, no time limit, no scholarships, no "winning", etc, etc, etc.

Both sports are dangerous, but I don't think that's the point. It sounds like he sees climbing as "pointless" risk. I sure he realizes that football is dangerous, but he is able to justify the danger to himself because he is focused on the rewards.

I'm sure if he got really into climbing, and realized how great the rewards are, he would be quick to dismiss the risk just as he does for football. Especially once he took a few harmless falls. Just like getting creamed for the first time in a game, it's scary before it happens but once you get back up you lose that fear.

dontfall

Oct 10, 2003, 3:30 AM
Post #31 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

someone smack your friend, get him off the couch and have him smell some chalk dust. CLimbing over football any day!!!

valeberga

Oct 10, 2003, 3:49 AM
Post #32 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Climbing vs football [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
lol i cant even take u american footballers seriously, any aussies here will know what i mean (especially if they follow AFL) you guys should watch a big game of AFL some time... its like getting tackled from any direction at any time while u have the ball, people walk on ur back with studs to jump higher... u dont need padding, main reason i cant take NFL seriously.... the padding. That said it is a great sport but the padding and the constantly stopping and the being too pansy to stay on the field for offense AND defense... *sigh*

Actually both your damn pansy offshoot sports are just ridiculous abberations of rugby. AFL not so bad, just wierd. NFL, well, what can I say, any player that runs more than 40 yards during a play has to go sit on the bench and suck oxygen for a while. And the padding, well, I have to admit football players hit harder, and always intentionally try to hurt other players, because they have those pads on. The pads and frequent stopping are just an excuse to see how hard you can lay out the next guy on the next play, and THAT is why football is so dangerous. In rugby it's not about hitting as hard as possible, because if you did, you would lose, because you have to get your bitch ass back up off the turf IMMEDIATELY and KEEP PLAYING! (That actually happened in a game between the U.S.A. and South Africa, the USA guys were just trying to hit hard -no surprise-, and they lost by some ridiculous margin, like 60 to 3) Plus if you're a nasty player, you will pay for it... None of this blow of the whistle it's over crap. Where the hell did that come from?

this post is so off-topic

lifeguard4

Oct 10, 2003, 5:01 AM
Post #33 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I played football through high school and started climbing after high school. I think that they are both great but both of them aren't for every one.

climb4life

Oct 10, 2003, 5:56 AM
Post #34 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't forget,
it's a proven fact, drag racing is less dangerous than football. and yet, it's still more extreme!!

climb on

pico23

Oct 10, 2003, 6:07 AM
Post #35 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have a friend who loves football. He says that for him climbing doesn't make sense because you put yourself in danger for no reason. So he thinks it is dumb.
Also says that a mistake in football doesn't do much, however a mistake while climbing could lead you to death.
Of course I've tryied to convice him to go outdoors with me sometime, so he can experience what climbing really is... but I guess he's just "too chicken"... :wink:
Anyways... what do you guys think?

I think your friend is right. Climbing is dangerous and mistakes can and often do lead to death or serious injury. When your having a bad day on the football field it means a dropped pass, a missed tackle, missing a block, or overthrowing a pass. When you have a mental lapse in climbing it can lead to something far more serious.

I had a climbing partner that tried to get all her friends into climbing. Most weren't interested and the ones she did drag out just weren't cut out for it (niether was she). The point of which is a lot of people who are absent minded shouldn't be climbing and forcing them into the sport can be a bad thing.

pico23

Oct 10, 2003, 6:13 AM
Post #36 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Actually both your damn pansy offshoot sports are just ridiculous abberations of rugby. AFL not so bad, just wierd. NFL, well, what can I say, any player that runs more than 40 yards during a play has to go sit on the bench and suck oxygen for a while. And the padding, well, I have to admit football players hit harder, and always intentionally try to hurt other players, because they have those pads on. The pads and frequent stopping are just an excuse to see how hard you can lay out the next guy on the next play, and THAT is why football is so dangerous. In rugby it's not about hitting as hard as possible, because if you did, you would lose, because you have to get your b---- ass back up off the turf IMMEDIATELY and KEEP PLAYING! (That actually happened in a game between the U.S.A. and South Africa, the USA guys were just trying to hit hard -no surprise-, and they lost by some ridiculous margin, like 60 to 3) Plus if you're a nasty player, you will pay for it... None of this blow of the whistle it's over crap. Where the hell did that come from?

this post is so off-topic

Off topic but on the money. Football is a fun sport to play without the padding and informally but watching an NFL game is brutally boring.

Rugby is a much tougher sport and it's more demanding of the athletes. It's a mess to watch but a great sport to play and ironically you see less injuries in a rugby match than a football game. I don't miss my damn ears getting brutalized though in the scrums rucks and mauls.

gumbythepregnantelephant

Oct 10, 2003, 6:16 AM
Post #37 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that the most dangerouse form of football appears to be Soccer, but not to play. Just go along to see two wierd arse unknown countries playing in a botchy old stadium with a grand-stand held up by a mountain goat and elaborately placed dental floss and tell one supporter that another supporter said his country has sexier yacks that the other and watch the carnage unfold, 2000 dead in the initial stand collapse and at least 40000 in the ensuing rioting. What a 'game'. :?

That being said Aussie Rules footy rocks, the only way to be considered particularly tough in that sport is to play a grand final with 5 broken ribs, a punctured lung and still hit harder than all the other padded pansies in other sports (I like Rugby union too, not league, it's for neanderthals, I cannot respect someone who has no neck)
But as i step off my high horse i must say i believe that whatever floats your boat is cool, I mean hey, Lawn Bowles has the highest fatality rate of any other sport, but it certainly aint tough (rock on old dudes!).

keep climbing/footying/running/pogo-sticking/whateverthehellyouwanting.
Each to their own I say :)

Partner coldclimb

Oct 10, 2003, 6:42 AM
Post #38 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I know some seriously tough american football players. A church team I know down in Idaho did a few games against another team from a mormon church, and both teams got brutal. You gotta hear them tell the stories, but one guy on their team played most of a game with a broken collarbone, and another one shattered an ankle and kept playing, and the guys on the other team did the same only with more severe injuries. No pads here either. Wish they were here to tell the entire story, but it was brutal. :lol:

That said, I've never liked football much. Aussie rules has always seemed a bit more interesting to me, but not much. Snowboarding is merely something to do in order to hang out with my friends, cause they all do it all the time. Skiing the backcountry up and down mountains looks like tons of fun, but I dunno if I'll ever be able to buy all that gear, what with rock and ice gear to buy also.

Above all these games, I live for climbing. :)

james_climber

Mar 2, 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #39 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hheehe why football vs climbing i play since 10 years ago and i climb since 8 years ago , i think you can get a perspective if u are climber and football player at same time i have been hearing many coments about this , and i CAN say cos ive known many good football players and i know they wont dare to climb , also many good climbers who just couldnt play football :lol: chickens

reprieve

Mar 2, 2004, 1:45 AM
Post #40 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I grew up playing both types of football, american football and soccer.

Speaking from experience, I would say there are more injuries in football than soccer, but the injuries in soccer are generally more serious.

I think that a similar relationshipo exists between climbing and soccer - there are more injuries in soccer, but the potential for serious injury (or death :shock: ) is definitely greater in climbing.

rngrchad

Mar 2, 2004, 1:56 AM
Post #41 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting thread. My take on the whole schpeel on trying to explain something to an American Football player is like talking to a brick wall. Especially if that player was a "star" on the team. Football attracts self-centered know-it-all jocks. I've played near every sport and realize this seems to be the truth. I know I'm gonna get flamed about this. Climbing is the best thing that has happened to me next to snowboarding.
got to bgooo byue

johnooo

Mar 3, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #42 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

psh footballs not as cool though. i have a friend that is the same exact way so i know what your talking about. i am hopeing to get him out to great falls this comming weekend and get him to attempt climbing. mabey he will see it in a much more positive. people dont understand why i climb but thats because they have never done it themselves. once they see it and try it they will really notice how beaulifull and fun climbing is. the beauty pert comeing from the scenery, the freedom and everything taht you can possubly dream off.. even spiderman.

corpse

Mar 3, 2004, 6:13 PM
Post #43 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1 difference - climbing requires 2 balls :-D

andy_lemon

Mar 3, 2004, 6:20 PM
Post #44 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I played rugby at the college level and football in high school. Anybody that has played both knows that you can not compare the two. They are two different sports... one being a regulated game of smear the queer and the other being a game requiring more strategy.

Every highschool student should definately play for their team, in my opinion. It will be a great experience and give you the chance to work in a team environment. Life is about your experiences. Playing football will make you a better person and tougher. If anything, football can contribute to climbing (mentally and physically) and make you appreciate climbing more. I know of alot of climbers that come from a football or wrestling background.

mandrake

Mar 3, 2004, 6:46 PM
Post #45 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyways... what do you guys think?

I think you're trolling just a little bit. It's a fun topic, I'll bite: American football is great when you're young but it's not a lifelong sport. I've got great memories of football and the intensity of the whole experience is really impossible to explain. But, I knew I would never be doing it when I was 25, much less now. Assuming I don't do anything stupid (or have bad luck) and get myself killed, I expect to be climbing when I'm 70.

Your friend is right in one sense, climbing IS unforgiving of mistakes. One, or more likely two or three in a row, can easily get you killed. It's a fine line between encouraging people and forcing them, if your "friend" (should he actually exist!) doesn't want to climb don't force him.

Partner phaedrus

Mar 3, 2004, 6:57 PM
Post #46 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interestingly enough, I just dealt with this with the school district adminstration today. Here's some interesting info I found:

Here are 1999 statistics from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, National Electronic Injury Surveillance System.

http://www.paducahskatepark.com/information.asp

valeberga

Mar 6, 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #47 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I played rugby at the college level and football in high school. Anybody that has played both knows that you can not compare the two. They are two different sports... one being a regulated game of smear the queer and the other being a game requiring more strategy.

You sound a little biased, that is, unless you really like smear the queer.

Just because you get to stop every ten seconds and draw X's and lines everywhere doesn't mean you are playing a more strategic game. Okay I'll admit the ability to "stop the clock" and call time outs in order to turn "2 minutes" of game time into a half-hour could be called "strategy".

football is simplified in a lot of ways too, such as the restriction of what players can do. You've got 11 players instead of 15, and half of them are never allowed to do more than push and shove.

You could cite the forward pass as an example, but the more dynamic kicking aspects of rugby are its counterpart.

It's perfectly fair to compare the two sports, one is just a highly mutated form of the other.

billburning

Mar 6, 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #48 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Football is completely homoerotic. Climbing is...slightly less homoerotic.

bouldering-bumm
Deleted

Mar 7, 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #49 of 60 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People and their stupid climbing steriotypes...

cliffmonkey2003

Mar 7, 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #50 of 60 (3148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't exactly been climbing for a long time, only about 4 years and not very often. However, I only played football for 2 years and witnessed first hand more serious injuries in that sport than I have in climbing (i.e. fractured femur, fracture tibia, concussions, and sprained-you-name-its). I think your friend has been running too many drills without his helmet on.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook