Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Sport Climbing:
breaking a key hold on a sport route, do I fix it?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

timstich

Mar 3, 2004, 4:54 AM
Post #51 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Re: breaking a key hold on a sport route, do I fix it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
My falls still go to 11.

Don't touch that hold. It's very special.

Why not? Can I point to it?

No, don't even point at it!

timmah

Mar 3, 2004, 5:58 AM
Post #52 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In my humble opinion. The route is a different route now. I would never glue a hold back on simply because the hold was sketchy to begin with and its coming off was inevitable. Take what the rock gives you - otherwise it's tantamount to gym climbing.

I'd agree with you usually - definately if this was a trad route with a chockstone blown out for instance. But here... it sounds like a reasonable climb has been turned R-rated. If I was the FA, I'd retrobolt.

What the rock gives you changes. The original bolting scheme was set up in light of what the rock gave at that time. This has changed. Why shouldn't the bolting scheme change too?

just my 2c.

stone_monkey

Mar 4, 2004, 8:51 PM
Post #53 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The trad boys are starting to get it. My work here is nearly complete.

-Jay
trad boyz trad boyze watcha gunnah doo?
watcha gunnah doo when they come for you........

namastee

Mar 4, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #54 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if itīs imposible, and i mean no hold in 2mts square, yeah do it

dredsovrn

Mar 4, 2004, 9:11 PM
Post #55 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am assuming you didn't wack the thing off with a hammer, and it came off in the normal process of climbing. If that later is the case, change the grade if appropriate. It seems to me that it is a natural process accelerated by human interaction. A lot of climbs have changed over the years. Some get easier, others get harder.

Partner oldsalt

Mar 4, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #56 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see the old human vs nature camel has stuck its nose under the tent wall... Despite what PETA would have you believe, humans and lions and house cats are both part of nature. People climbing rocks contribute to erosion. So does blowing sand, ice forming in cracks, and meteorite impacts.

I would prefer that none of the above forces break holds, but if they break, so be it. Moving a bolt or changing a rating ... either way works.

Glue is just not "natural." :?

bouldering-bumm
Deleted

Mar 6, 2004, 1:47 AM
Post #57 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have not made any routes ever, but wish to in the next year, and I know about 1,000,000 people who have constructed routes, and if I were you, I would get a drill and sculpt a new hold of your own in its place.

fredbob

Mar 6, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #58 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Move the bolt to a better spot?

This is the first sensible advice given. Why would someone consider modifying the rock FIRST, rather than just moving the bolt (which is an artificial thing anyway)?

Let's face it. If this is a typical SoCal sport route, then the rock has been modified already, through extensive cleaning, just to make it climbable. Gluing the hold back on is negligible modification in light of what probably had to have been done just to get the rock solid enough to climb on. Apparently, the hold disintegrated, so this is now a general discussion about gluing, since it is not an option for the hold in question.

Some SoCal sport routes are so chossy, that if key broken holds aren't replaced, your beta has to change every other time you climb the route. It is nice to be able to repeat the route you spent a month figuring out how to do year after year, rather than constantly having to be working out new sequences as it "evolves." Frankly, I have trouble understanding why pulling off a hold that nature put on the rock is not considered modification, but gluing back on what nature put there in the first place, is. If anything, it seems like it should be the other way around.

-Jay

P.S. What route was it?

With all due respect Jay, or perhaps not... While what you say about most sport routes in So Cal (Williamson and NJC in particular) is true, in this instance, your observations have nothing meaningful to add to the discussion.

It was clearly stated that the route is the same grade (easy, BTW), but the only problem is the bolt is now hard to clip. So move the bolt, DUH!

Why go through all these mental gyrations and contemplate gluing, chipping or other rock modification FIRST when the position of the bolt is the arbitrary and artificial construct in the whole equation.

And sometimes things break and you have to work out new moves. So?

Don't get me wrong, I have climbed routes with re-glued on holds and reinforced holds and have even reinforced holds myself. But no reasonable person would consider this the first choice if merely moving a bolt would solve the problem.

fixedpin

Mar 6, 2004, 2:17 AM
Post #59 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have not made any routes ever, but wish to in the next year, and I know about 1,000,000 people who have constructed routes, and if I were you, I would get a drill and sculpt a new hold of your own in its place.

Bad troll or just plain ignorance; either way back to gym's bouldering cave with you.

jt512

Mar 6, 2004, 2:57 AM
Post #60 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

With all due respect Jay, or perhaps not... While what you say about most sport routes in So Cal (Williamson and NJC in particular) is true, in this instance, your observations have nothing meaningful to add to the discussion.

It was clearly stated that the route is the same grade (easy, BTW), but the only problem is the bolt is now hard to clip. So move the bolt, DUH!

Or put the hold back on. What difference does it make?

In reply to:
Why go through all these mental gyrations and contemplate gluing, chipping or other rock modification FIRST when the position of the bolt is the arbitrary and artificial construct in the whole equation.

First of all, gluing back a hold that you pulled off while engaged in the contrived activity of rock climbing is not the same as intentionally chipping a new hold to replace the old one. In the first case you are restoring the hold; in the latter you are not. Seondly, why is it preferrable to drill a new hole in the rock, move the bolt, fill the old hole with glue, and cover it with chips of rock; compared with just gluing the hold back on. The latter seems actually less destructive to me.

In reply to:
And sometimes things break and you have to work out new moves. So?

I know. I'm talking about ruotes in rock so bad that the route changes constantly. Occasionally having to work out new beta is one thing. Having to work out new beta every time you get on the route is a little ridiculous. When the rock is that bad key holds need to be reinforced, once the decision is made to put a route up in such bad rock in the first place.

-Jay

fredbob

Mar 6, 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #61 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:

1. Because the hold disintigrated (as was stated before), and 2. I was under the impression that this "rock" climbing (and I guess I have quaint ideas that modifying the rock should never be the first proposed answer).

In reply to:
First of all, gluing back a hold that you pulled off while engaged in the contrived activity of rock climbing is not the same as intentionally chipping a new hold to replace the old one.

That isn't the choice we were talking about, was it?

In reply to:
Seondly, why is it preferrable to drill a new hole in the rock, move the bolt, fill the old hole with glue, and cover it with chips of rock; compared with just gluing the hold back on. The latter seems actually less destructive to me.

As stated by the guy who posted this, there is no "hold" left to re-glue back on. But, even if there were, the hold in question is absolutely superfluous since it didn't change the rating at all. Nevertheless, if the idea of moving a bolt "seems actually less destructive" to you, well....obviously our value systems are quite different.

But I will observe, that the attitude that rock is some short of maliable resource obviously originates from both a "indoor" climbing mentality combined with (as you pointed out) the reality of the chossiness of many modern sport crags. However, this attitude left unchecked (e.g.: applied out of the originating context or to any situation) has the potential to completely destroy the challenge of climbing.

drkodos

Mar 6, 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #62 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But I will observe, that the attitude that rock is some short of maliable resource obviously originates from both a "indoor" climbing mentality combined with (as you pointed out) the reality of the chossiness of many modern sport crags. However, this attitude left unchecked (e.g.: applied out of the originating context or to any situation) has the potential to completely destroy the challenge of climbing.

Sublime thought and writing.

(bold emphasis mine)

jt512

Mar 8, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #63 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

In reply to:

1. Because the hold disintigrated (as was stated before)...

I have already acknowledged that the hold disintegrted, and stated that the discussion is about gluing in general.

In reply to:
... I was under the impression that this "rock" climbing (and I guess I have quaint ideas that modifying the rock should never be the first proposed answer).

0. Placing the original blt.
1. A climber pulls off a hold.
2. The climber glues the hold back on.
3. The climber drills a new hole in the rock, removes the old bolt, fills the old hole with glue, and installs another bolt.

All of the above are rock modification. It seems to me that the most serious modification of the rock occurs in [1], when the climber pulls the hold off, though. [2] Restores the rock to its original condition, except for a little glue, which, if a good job is done, will not be visible. [3] Which you are advocating, doesn't correct the original modification of the rock by a human being [1], involves gluing anyway, and further modifies the rock by drilling an additional hole.

In reply to:
First of all, gluing back a hold that you pulled off while engaged in the contrived activity of rock climbing is not the same as intentionally chipping a new hold to replace the old one.

In reply to:
That isn't the choice we were talking about, was it?

Yes, but you threw in "chipping," for some reason.
In reply to:
In reply to:
Seondly, why is it preferrable to drill a new hole in the rock, move the bolt, fill the old hole with glue, and cover it with chips of rock; compared with just gluing the hold back on. The latter seems actually less destructive to me.

Nevertheless, if the idea of moving a bolt "seems actually less destructive" to you, well....obviously our value systems are quite different.

I'm trying to be objective. I think the publicly stated objections to gluing, besides failing to acknowledge a common, widely accepted practice, are based on false premises.

In reply to:
But I will observe, that the attitude that rock is some short of maliable resource obviously originates from both a "indoor" climbing mentality combined with (as you pointed out) the reality of the chossiness of many modern sport crags.

I would say that climbers have been treating the rock as malleable, long before the advent of indoor gyms.

In reply to:
However, this attitude left unchecked (e.g.: applied out of the originating context or to any situation) has the potential to completely destroy the challenge of climbing.

I agree that gluing is not the answer in many, if not most, situations, but in chossy rock, where you're modifying the hell out of it every time you put up, or even just climb, a route, gluing a hold back on can be a minimal impact in the big picture.

-Jay

pbjosh

Mar 8, 2004, 5:55 PM
Post #64 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You know, this is tricky. I know of a few holds that have been glued back into place in East Tennesse. I'm not sure how this would fly in SoCal though.

Bwahahaha, there's enough glue at the local crags to refloat the titanic.

darkstar

Mar 16, 2004, 2:53 PM
Post #65 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol: i dont think the rest will agree but i love glue ... especially when ive got a hundred foot route with one 8 foot section of rock that has only one hold which if breaks will not go at all by anygrade .i just reinforce the loose hold befor climbing on it then waaa laaa instant classic ... makes me think of a great route near me with one loose hold .. the route would be bunk without this hold being re enforced ...but since we glued it 5 years ago it has been enjojed by many ..some areas have unlimeted rock and many many good lines ..i never use glue in or near an area like that since i can just go find a new climb that doesent need glue but here i tennesse we are very limited on great rock climbs of good quality especially in the upper grades ..so when we find a great new line which happens about twice a year we like to keep the line as close to its orignal state as possible ...sometimes that meens reinforcing a hold with a tiny bit of glue ... if we dont reinforce some holds on our sand stone we get big ugly scars that stay wet all the time ..and never get climbed ..or we have a route where you can still climb it but you are constanly worried about pulling off a brick sized block and smashing your face ... in that case i just re inforce... usually no one even sees the glue ... darkstar

rckjck12a

Apr 10, 2004, 7:25 PM
Post #66 of 66 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Find someone strong enough to redpoint the route as is.

If it doesn't go, it doesn't go.

Don't bring the rock down to your level.

TIA,

Hardman Knott
In reply to:

Finally, so deep in the replys before someone says the right thing. If a hold breaks off its the natuaral evolution of the climb. No different than a route covered in chalk or the holds all polished. This stuff happens! The route changes. If it becomes harder people will know imediatly and Change the grade or leave it as is. At no time should you ever move a bolt to make the route more "comfortable for you". There are lots of routes out there that have potential for groud fall. It then becomes your personal decision to get on it or not. Right?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook