Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

eric

Mar 9, 2004, 8:35 PM
Post #26 of 34 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Re: FP Photo: Needs a larger selection base [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now that this has been in place for a while, I don't like it. :? I prefer quality over quantity myself. I keep seeing average and even sucky pics on the front page, and it annoys me. :(

If others feel the same way, we can tweak it. Just bump up the rating a bit.

But you know, I was seriously thinking of making this a user preference. There would be a default but then every user could adjust the settings to suit themselves. This would be very easy to do.

Partner philbox

Mar 9, 2004, 9:54 PM
Post #27 of 34 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Now that this has been in place for a while, I don't like it. :? I prefer quality over quantity myself. I keep seeing average and even sucky pics on the front page, and it annoys me. :(

But you know, I was seriously thinking of making this a user preference. There would be a default but then every user could adjust the settings to suit themselves. This would be very easy to do.

Hey now there`s an idea Eric. Good thinking.

roughster

Mar 9, 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #28 of 34 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I agree it would be awesome as a personal setting. However, until then keep the criteria showing more photos, if CC doesn't like it, he can just hit refresh. I loath seeing the same photos over and over.

I think of the front page photo as a segment into a different area (database) of the site that not many people will just browse through on whim.

I can guarentee you that people who see a photo they don't recognize or like will click on it, then the links to the database. Anything that opens up new ways for users to utilize the site is a good thing IMO.

roc-dude
Deleted

Mar 9, 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #29 of 34 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep the new Photos coming. I like seeing many different photos. Not the same old ones over and over.

escale

Mar 9, 2004, 11:03 PM
Post #30 of 34 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you guys have found a formula. But I think it should be even wider. It’s just a random pic. One refresh and it is gone. Every pic is an image that some outdoor person sent in because they thought it was good. Although sometimes a pic looks like a bunch of posers, but they are cool never-the-less.

I would vote to just let any photo randomly “pop-up”.

I thought this site was for climbers by climbers, not for photographers and their the best photographs. But I think I am a little late on this discussion.

It’s not my call, and I don’t want to sound negative or critical. I know you guys work hard. I just caught that note that said that users are not responding. Let’s face it; there is a lot of reading here.

Sry,
---Escale

Partner coldclimb

Mar 10, 2004, 5:37 AM
Post #31 of 34 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Would definately be awesome. :D

Partner coldclimb

Mar 10, 2004, 5:22 PM
Post #32 of 34 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Case in point: I just saw climber49er's moose on the front page. Sure that's a good pic, and a pretty cool situation and all.... but on the front page of rockclimbing.com?

Partner tim

May 5, 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #33 of 34 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Case in point: I just saw climber49er's moose on the front page. Sure that's a good pic, and a pretty cool situation and all.... but on the front page of rockclimbing.com?

you make it sound like that is an honor or something.

:twisted:

The 'one refresh and its gone' fallacy is another popular myth -- the cache on the photo was 1 minute last time I checked. If it isn't, perhaps we should go back to something along those lines.

My only problem with user-selectable threshholds is caching. If that turns out to be a non-issue, then that's probably the direction to move in -- let each member set a lower limit on the rating for photos they want to see on the front page.

One way to determine how much impact this would have (that seems to kill two birds with one stone) is to restrict it to the subset of members that are allowed to vote, eg. those who care most. If the impact is negligible, broaden it to all members. I could probably code this up myself, it's so simple conceptually... besides, I need to add thread spawning for the photo critique forum anyhow (another stupid-simple bit of code that I was approaching the wrong way).

Partner coldclimb

May 6, 2004, 6:15 AM
Post #34 of 34 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps this could be one benefit for paying members, since there really aren't many of those other than e-mail... :?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook