Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
Closure of Queen Creek / Oak Flat AZ climbing areas.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

phxtradrock

Mar 8, 2004, 9:09 AM
Post #151 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Re: Closure of Queen Creek / Oak Flats AZ climbing areas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am shocked that I did not learn of this issue earlier. But, I am awake at 2:10am on a sunday because I love climbing so much and would like to preserve Queen Creek for future climbing well beyond 2015. I would hate to see this area shut down. If there is any way i can help please PM me or email me.

metrogroaz

Mar 8, 2004, 9:20 AM
Post #152 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am phxtradrock's climbing partner and also am willing to help preserve queen creek area. My first outdoor climbing was out there and that place holds some serious sentimental value for me. PM if there is anything i can do. We cannot lose some great climbing, we just cant. I could talk about this all night but i have a chemistry test tom. so i must go to bed.

metrogroaz

Mar 8, 2004, 9:20 AM
Post #153 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am phxtradrock's climbing partner and also am willing to help preserve queen creek area. My first outdoor climbing was out there and that place holds some serious sentimental value for me. PM if there is anything i can do. We cannot lose some great climbing, we just cant. I could talk about this all night but i have a chemistry test tom. so i must go to bed.

climberchic

Mar 10, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #154 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul~

They told you this:

In reply to:
From what we were told at our meeting with Resolution the climbing area
WILL be closed if they proceed with the mine. Not exactly the same message.

And wrote this:

In reply to:
Access to the Oak Flat Campground and nearby climbing and bouldering areas may be affected.

Becuase may is a legal term of art, of sorts. It means that is what is going to happen according to the project description. May is used because, legally, the project is only proposed. They can't say that anything will happen until the analysis is done and all the permits are completed.

~Erica

howdidshedothat

Mar 13, 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #155 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: :shock: Just moved here to find this out?! where will the injustice stop? Count me in if you need some help
Noel

ahwatukian

Mar 15, 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #156 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting that a new arrival to AZ quickly points out that mining is an "injustice" and must be stopped, not withstanding that fact that large-scale copper mining has been going on in this state for over 120 years...

Hmmmm. :roll:

curt

Mar 16, 2004, 5:44 PM
Post #157 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What makes you think that "mining" per se, is the injustice being referred to? The injustice, in my mind is the potential destruction of a wonderful climbing and recreational resource--Oak Flat.

Resolution clearly needs to rethink their plan to allow the proposed mining activity to coexist with the recreational use of the land. This would be a wonderful way for them to demonstrate that all their talk of "sustainable development" etc. is not just empty talk.

Curt

ahwatukian

Mar 16, 2004, 8:12 PM
Post #158 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was assuming that the person meant any mining at all underneath the Oak Flats/Queen Creek area was an injustice.

Additionally, given the extreme depth of the deposit, I think that Resolution Copper will tell you jury is still out on the overall surface effects of block caving. The only reference point I have is the Kalamazoo mine at San Manuel where block caving was used and the surface ground showed moderate subsidence. At what depth block caving was used at Kalamazoo I'm not aware of. Perhaps I can find that out...

arizonabouldering

Mar 20, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #159 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi All,

I was in an informal meeting with some of the Town of Superior council members with Jim a month or so back.

It appears that there is definately divided opinions about whether the mine will be good for the town or not.

They did mention that there is a proposed plan to divert I-60 around the town and canyon. Supposedly a new 4 lane road.

Apparently the mine has land rights to all of Devils Canyon. Something to that effect?
The ultimate goal was to shut down the whole canyon upon completion of the new highway.

Jim has been regularily meeting with the city council members. If you want to know the latest scoop, you might check with him..

Jimwaugh@cox.net

Thanks Greg.

epic_ed

Mar 21, 2004, 5:34 AM
Post #160 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And this in todays AZRepublic:

http://www.azcentral.com/...es/0321copper21.html

The paper is certainly putting a positive spin on it. It may be time to contact the Republic and offer a contrasting point of view. This is going to be a very difficult battle to win.

Ed

curt

Mar 21, 2004, 5:41 AM
Post #161 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for posting that, Ed. I know Max Jarman from when he interviewed me about the founding of the Arizona Stock Exchange. I will get in touch with him and present the other side of this story to him.

Curt

rock_diva

Mar 22, 2004, 4:33 PM
Post #162 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I learned that the Resolution Copper is going to be a gold sponsor at the Phoenix Boulder Blast this year.

What do you think about that?

http://www.phoenixboulderingcontest.com/sponsors/index.shtml

rock_diva

Mar 22, 2004, 4:35 PM
Post #163 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I learned that the Resolution Copper is going to be a gold sponsor at the Phoenix Boulder Blast this year.

curt

Mar 22, 2004, 5:10 PM
Post #164 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Shelly,

This doesn't surprise me and is consistent with Resolution's behavior in other areas. Resolution is supportive of the communities it has to deal with concerning this mining project--be it local communities, recreational communities or whatever. They want you to like them and its hard not to like them because they are nice people.

However, in regard to the mine project in question, Resolution's idea of "sustainable development" is quite different from mine. They would like to placate the local climbing community by helping us develop alternative climbing areas to Oak Flat. Resolution's theory, I guess, is that we then will not object to losing all the existing climbing and bouldering that currently exists Oak Flat when they close off that area to mine the copper beneath it.

I think a far better example of "sustainable development" would be to design the proposed Resolution mine in a way that the copper can be mined without impacting the existing recreational resource at Oak Flat.

Curt

traddad

Mar 22, 2004, 5:14 PM
Post #165 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, Curt. There needs to be a presentation of the other side of the argument. Please keep us in formed.

ahwatukian

Mar 22, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #166 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock Diva -
Slightly old news - I didn't get any responses from my post almost two months ago (http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ads&p=633242&t=49528), so I take it this isn't a big issue with this group?

Not being a climber myself, what do the climbers here in this forum and those participating in the event think of RC sponsoring the event when ultimately they are against RC doing any kind of resource recovery in the Oak Flat/Queen Creek area? Would you just turn the sponsorship money away, or would you accept it but still battle with RC on the fundamental issue when the time comes? :?:

curt

Mar 22, 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #167 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
......what do the climbers here in this forum and those participating in the event think of RC sponsoring the event when ultimately they are against RC doing any kind of resource recovery in the Oak Flat/Queen Creek area? Would you just turn the sponsorship money away, or would you accept it but still battle with RC on the fundamental issue when the time comes? :?:

It is hard to respond, since your entire premise (as I have pointed out to you before) is wrong.

Curt

curt

Mar 24, 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #168 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two meetings related to Queen Creek / Oak Flat access have been held.

A few interested local climbers (myself included) met last night with a National representative of the Access Fund (Jason Keith - Policy Director) and a local representative of the Sierra Club (Ted Gartner). It was decided in that meeting to formally establish an organization called "Friends of Queen Creek" to provide a vehicle through which the climbing community can address any potential Oak Flat / Queen Creek access issues. Paul Dief will be the primary spokesman and head of this group. Paul has already reserved the domain name:

www.friendsofqueencreek.com

and he will have this site up and running within a week or two. The site is not up yet--so don't waste your time clicking on it. Paul will let us know when the site becomes functional.

The second meeting was this morning with Resolution Copper Company and was attended by Jason Keith, Ted Gartner and myself. The main purpose of this meeting was to introduce Jason and Ted to Bruno Hegner and some of the other Resolution people. Mr. Hegner explained Resolution's current thinking and options for the mine, relating to access--and Jason explained to Mr. Hegner the Access Fund's basic role and position regarding access issues. It was a good meeting and my personal opinion is that everyone is working in good faith to try and reach a solution that is acceptable to everyone.

Curt

climbingpride

Apr 1, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #169 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/contrib/guus/oog.gif :shock:

*Sees Progress*

Now only to keep it up. Thanks curt for heading all of this up.

allarounder

Apr 4, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #170 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xxx

curt

Apr 5, 2004, 2:49 AM
Post #171 of 619 (68848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course skibabage would have known ten days ago that we had a meeting with Jason Keith of the Access Fund on this topic, if only she wasn't so dense as to killfile me. Ignorance is bliss for some folks though--I guess.

Curt

curt

Apr 5, 2004, 3:11 AM
Post #172 of 619 (68855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Thanks for deleting your post Martha. I'm sure the less you "contribute" the better for climbers everywhere.

Curt

ahwatukian

Apr 5, 2004, 3:54 AM
Post #173 of 619 (68855 views)
Shortcut

Here's a solution... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey... I know! Let's just make the whole thing an open pit mine! Then no one will be happy! WOO HOO!!!

curt

Apr 5, 2004, 4:02 PM
Post #174 of 619 (69283 views)
Shortcut

Re: Here's a solution... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey... I know! Let's just make the whole thing an open pit mine! Then no one will be happy! WOO HOO!!!

Except for those in the trucking industry, right? Boy, it sure would take a lot of trucks to haul all that material away. :wink:

Curt

curt

Apr 12, 2004, 3:15 PM
Post #175 of 619 (69283 views)
Shortcut

Re: Here's a solution... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul Dief now has the website.........

http://www.friendsofqueencreek.com

......up and running. Right now there is an e-mail link to add yourself to the Friends of Queen Creek contact list. More content will be added soon.

Curt

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook