Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hulgan

Mar 17, 2004, 8:55 PM
Post #1 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Treatment for rope burn?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I got some nasty rope burn on the side of my neck last night. I'm currently putting neosporin on it and icing it too.

It hurts way worse that I would have expected.

What can help speed the healing?

mreardon

Mar 17, 2004, 8:57 PM
Post #2 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Re: Treatment for rope burn? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my climbing partners took a nasty spill and seriously rope burned his arm in three places. He used tons of neosporin with a wrap over it to keep it moist, as well as cleaning it twice a day (sometimes three). Never let it scab up and he has no scars.

stellanole

Mar 17, 2004, 9:09 PM
Post #3 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock:

DOH! I feel your pain!!!!

i dropped my partner while belaying him on lead about a month ago....actually maybe 2 months....

anyway--it was the first and last time ill incorrectly use a grigri. thank god my hand tried to hold on and stop him from hitting the ground FASTER than he did..and thank go we were in the gym...practicing what NOT TO DO as the belayer when your climber falls on lead. hehe.

oh the irony. so before my eyes i watched as layers of my skin burned off and my partner came down to my right. as gym members rushed to his side...(he was more shocked than anything)....i stood staring at my hand which seemed frozen in a rope holding position. as they all asked 'are you okay man....' he said 'i am....but she's not'. lol. like a child who falls and looks at his scraped bleeding knee not knowing whether or not it REALLY hurts..until the parents start flocking around him with attention....the pain sunk in and i went off to the bathroom wailing like a toddler.

the pain was so bad i was certain i needed emergency hospital treatment. it wasn't necessary---i spent about a week with cleaning it, treating it with neosporin, and wrapping it LIGHTLY in gauze....once you notice that its trying to start to HEAL (scab)...take the gauze off...and just keep it nice and clean. let it breathe so it heals quicker. you just want to keep it from getting infected. as for the pain. well, that night i had a Pint of Stella and took a xanax before bed. :wink: do whatcha gotta do.... but it SUCKS!!! worst pain ive EVER had....the burns were terrible..and unfortunetly i think im left with scars. now that i am getting into bouldering...the places where i was burnt tend to blister and swell quicker/worse than the other hand.

i couldn't climb for 3+ weeks...major bummer...but i healed quickly. relatively speaking.

good luck!

~s

hulgan

Mar 17, 2004, 9:18 PM
Post #4 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i couldn't climb for 3+ weeks...major bummer...but i healed quickly. relatively speaking.

I think you've got me beat. I was sitting here feeling all sorry for myself because the collar of my shirt hits the burn occasionaly. You my friend got worked over. Knowing how sucky it was for you makes me appreciate how good I actually have it.

tylerm

Mar 17, 2004, 9:41 PM
Post #5 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

an ice-cold PBR always worked for me...

everyone else's suggestions are perfect-I did the same thing (neosporin & moist towels) when I got one...

dub

Mar 24, 2004, 5:36 PM
Post #6 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Country Comfort ~ Herbal Savy is the best. All natural. I sliced a chunk off my finger once and used this everyday. It only took a week to heal. I have a small scar but only I can see it.

Partner one900johnnyk

Mar 24, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #7 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
treatment for ropeburn?
a pair of testicles helps...

hulgan

Mar 29, 2004, 2:55 PM
Post #8 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
treatment for ropeburn?
a pair of testicles helps...

Hah. I confess that this burn had me whining like a 10 year old. By the way- do I know you?

esoteric1

Mar 29, 2004, 3:31 PM
Post #9 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a pretty bad one once, right behind my knee, so I pulled out my first aid kit and started lookin fer somethin`. the only thing i could find was a sting relief pad........lemme tell yall, dont use those things on an open wound. it made it sting so bad..i was hoppin all around, turns out, right after that it felt great...I guess it was kinda like one of those, if your finger hurts, smash your toe type of things....
a little neosporin will go a long way

hulgan

Mar 29, 2004, 3:35 PM
Post #10 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah- and don't use aloe that's designed to relieve sunburn. Sweet Jesus that hurt.

I went to the doctor 3 days after the burn and got some Silver Sulfide (I think) cream that has worked like a charm.

girlclimb

Mar 29, 2004, 3:44 PM
Post #11 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fell about 20 feet last year and on my way down got my leg wraped around the rope and got some nasty rope burn half way around the top of my calf... I keept climbing on it which tended to reopen the scab. using neosporine deffinitly helped but i still got a nice big scar... oh well.
just keep it clean and keep using the neosporine
as for the pain yeah it sucks but what can you do( maybee put something losely over it so it can still get air but prevent you collar from irritatating it?)
luck,
girlclimb

plund

Mar 29, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #12 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Stella - how the H do you drop someone with a grigri?? What happened to doublechecks (by you & your partner)?? I'm glad your partner is okay...you're both extremely lucky!

Partner calamity_chk

Mar 29, 2004, 4:47 PM
Post #13 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vit e is also good for reducing scarring.

gnubbs

Mar 29, 2004, 4:56 PM
Post #14 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since I haven't seen anyone else mention it, you should try the burn pads that they sell at drug stores. My wife manages to burn herself on everything and suggested these to me the last time I had a burn. They are awesome. They are this sticky goo with plastic on both sides. Peel off one side of plastic and place the gooy side down on the wound.

I used these after I burned my hand on a tyrolean and they really help a ton.

Steve

hulgan

Mar 29, 2004, 4:59 PM
Post #15 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Since I haven't seen anyone else mention it, you should try the burn pads that they sell at drug stores. My wife manages to burn herself on everything and suggested these to me the last time I had a burn. They are awesome. They are this sticky goo with plastic on both sides. Peel off one side of plastic and place the gooy side down on the wound.

Mmmm those sound good. Do you remember the brand by chance?

herring

Mar 29, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #16 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rope burns... most excellent.
I was climbing at the red a this past summer and had a neast 30 footer to the deck. If anyone is interested in hearing the story I can post it in full, but to make a decently short story really short, The rope wrapped around my arm and stopped my spine from slamming off the rock, uneven ground, but I paid for it with a nasty rope burn the circles my entire arm once (it left a nasty scar as it ripped all my skin off my arm where it was burnt). I also had bruises on both of my ankles, the left side of my hips/lower back and my left elbow slammed off the ground too, now I have a bunch of loose bursa sacs and other stuff ( i guess) that floats about in my elbow. Good stuff. Im all better now, my right shoulder gets sore from time to time and my scar looks like a tattoo that has been removed. It really helps pick up the ladies too, I swear:

Moral of the story:
30 footers to the deck and massive rope burns = major female attraction

Dont ask me why
All I know is it works
Especially with non-climber chicks

Oh, and I hit the deck due to a freak accident and, perhaps, a mild amount of carelessness... but it was only 10c and I can climb 10c one-armed with my eyes closed while monkeys throw rocks and their own feces at me... or while eating said feces

Oh
And about treatment
I didnt use monkey feces
I used silvadene (1% silver sulfadiazine) for my arm
It took forever to heal and hurt beyond belief
And a word to the wise
If you are bandaging your burn up, which I suggest you do, use non-stick gauze and a tape that wont stick to your skin. My burn took about 1 month to heal, maybe a tiny bit longer. God that sucked. I ripped my trioceps in the fall too, haha, so I couldn't really move my arm for the longest time... someone somewhere has a pic of me post fall... If they should happen to read this, gimme a pm, I would love to see the pic if you have it.

This happened at the Red River Gorge in teh summer of 03 at the Roadside Crag.

stellanole

Mar 29, 2004, 5:53 PM
Post #17 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was feeding him slack, he went to clip and fell...and i never let my hand off the grigri. so instead i held on with all i had on my left hand which was on the rope---which is why he had a relatively smooth 'sail' to the ground. impulse reaction led me astray with the grigri. but i know now.

timstich

Mar 29, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #18 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Treatment for a bad rope burn is identical to 2nd degree burns. Wash the wound with mild soap and water and apply antibiotic cream or ointment. Keep wound dry to allow scabbing to occur. Cover with a non-stick bandage if you have to cover it, otherwise let it get air. Keep dry when showering if possible. The scab will crack open if it is on skin that flexes alot. Not much you can do about that unfortunately, accept keep covered and moist. I prefer a hard scab and just deal with the cracking.

Of course, if you are like me, you'll peel off the scab early numerous times. This leaves a nice scar, if you are into that.

mtnbkrxtrordnair

Mar 29, 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #19 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I burned my hand on a frying pan handle the other day. I was taking the pan out of the oven that was like 450deg. and the towel slipped. Now I have a perfect impression of the end of the handle on my palm. It is "C" shaped and is now a big fat blister.
I was wandering if it was OK to puncure the blister, or should I wait for the fluid to get re-absorbed. If the blister pops at the wrong time and in the wrong place, it could be messy. So maybe I'm better off draining it under controlled circumstances. What do you think? I could post a picture.

stellanole

Mar 29, 2004, 8:17 PM
Post #20 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DRAIN IT with a needle puncture...that way you wont expose the skin underneath. continue to drain it b/c it will probably refill....until its gone. just my advice.

dazultra

Apr 1, 2004, 7:39 AM
Post #21 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got it! That happened to a mate of mine, he had a cooking accident and somehow found out about wraping the wound using cling film, u know the stuff u wrap your sandwich for lunch in, it healed real quick. Then one day he got himself a nasty ropeburn, after he was sitting watchin tv one day and his dog started licking the wound (mingin) he thought he'd use the cooking trick, wrapped it up and from what I can remember it healed in no time!

Choice bro! :wink:

reno

Apr 1, 2004, 7:55 AM
Post #22 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I went to the doctor 3 days after the burn and got some Silver Sulfide (I think) cream that has worked like a charm.

Silvadene, as Silver Sufide is commonly known, is the best treatment available for small (i.e. rope burns) burns. Legal, proven, safe, and effective.

When I was 15, I wrecked a motorcycle, and had road-rash burns to both knees, both elbows, and both palms. A liberal application regularily of Silvadene got me back to functional capacity, and no scars to be found (well, you can't see them, but I can... barely, and only in the right sort of light.)

reno

Apr 1, 2004, 8:02 AM
Post #23 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
DRAIN IT with a needle puncture...that way you wont expose the skin underneath. continue to drain it b/c it will probably refill....until its gone. just my advice.

DO NOT do this.

The blister that forms over a burn is a STERILE covering. A puncture of that covering will do nothing more than provide a route for bacteria to enter and infect the now raw and exposed skin. THAT will lead to prolonged healing, bigger scars, etc.

IF the blister punctures of it's own accord, then you need to cover it with a sterile dressing, antibiotic/antispectic lotion, and do so using a sterile technique to minimize infection.

Nosocomial infections (infections caused by medical care) are the 2nd leading cause of death for hospitalized patients (CDC, 2001.) Most of those are due to improper wound care.

DO NOT puncture the blister.

Don't.

(P.S. I wrote this post for two reasons: One was to dispel bad medical advice. The other was to keep from being stuck on 666 posts... call me superstitious like that.)

mountainstyle

Apr 1, 2004, 9:15 AM
Post #24 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best thing I have ever done for a rope burn or any other open scrape or cut was to cover it in vitamin E oil. You can buy it at most drug stores, or just buy vit E capsules (the kind you swallow) and pop them and use. I hope you heal soon!

hulgan

Apr 1, 2004, 1:52 PM
Post #25 of 36 (38671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I hope you heal soon!

Thanks. After 16 days it's stopped hurting and just looks like a BAD hickey. I'm still using the silver sulfide cream to hopefully minimize scarring.

Thanks for all the responses by the way.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook