RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

dredsovrn

Mar 29, 2004, 2:26 PM
Post #1 of 2 (2064 views)
Shortcut

Warrior Memories of a Climbing Comp
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently participated in a local bouldering comp. Previously, I posted my reasoning for competing. The comp was this last Saturday, and I thought I would post some of the memories from that event. Memories I don't think I would have carried away had I been focused on my score or the end rather than focused on the moment. Here are a few:

Committing to a one finger lock on wet rock to pull my right foot up to a flat hold. This allowed me to pull over the top of a very wet and slick boulder.

Throwing at the same move no less than 20 times and never making it. I never got angry or frustrated, but by focusing on what I was doing I realized that in the moment, I was not committing to stand on my right foot and mantle with my left hand to make the reach. It was not because I am not tall enough or it couldn't be done. That is a move I need to work on and I will be back.

Near then end, when I was very tired, and I was bleeding from my finger tips, I gave my effort to one last high ball problem. About 20' up the moves were uncertain and I looked down to see it was a prettly long fall to a 3.5" thick pad. I felt panic coming up and started thinking about whether I should down climb and drop, or go for it and hope. I realized I was focusing on the end and had lost touch with the moment. I took few deep breaths, looked around saw a good edge, placed my foot, stepped up and reached for a hold of unknown type. It was enough for three fingers to first knukle. I breathed deep again and committed to going forward. Three moves later I was calmly pulling over the top.

The satisfaction of having witnessed the self limiting thoughts and phantom fears coming on, and having changed the situation by witnessing rather than participating in those thoughts was tremendous. The competition was a great learning experience, and The Way was a great factor in enjoying and learning from the moment.

timpanogos

Mar 30, 2004, 3:14 AM
Post #2 of 2 (2064 views)
Shortcut

Re: Warrior Memories of a Climbing Comp [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Good report. I went and read your first post about this - stepping out into the uncomfort zone - uncomfortable to the ego - good call

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook