Forums: Climbing Information: General:
What makes an area worth putting in the Database?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

walllizzard

Mar 30, 2004, 4:00 AM
Post #1 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

What makes an area worth putting in the Database?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just want to get a concensus on what makes an area worth putting in the RC database. I feel that any area, wether big or small, if it offers the opportunity to climb can be worth the effort to list. I have received some very negative feedback for the one area I have posted localy here in south central PA, Dinosuar Rock. I was just try ing to get some feedback from the community as a whole on what the general rule of thumb is.

apollodorus

Mar 30, 2004, 10:25 AM
Post #2 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Re: What makes an area worth putting in the Database? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"President Lincoln, you have long legs. How long should a man's legs be?"

"Long enough to reach the ground."

roughster

Mar 30, 2004, 10:56 AM
Post #3 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WL:

If people don't like it, tough crap. I totally dig checking out even the smallest crappiest areas out there. EVERY area offers something. Don't sweat the nay-sayers. There will always be one or two bad apples around that will always bitch and moan about something.

rwaltermyer

Mar 30, 2004, 11:42 AM
Post #4 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was one of the first to make a crack on Dinosaur, so I guess I'll speak up. But I'm not going to flame anyone...

You're right. Dinosaur does offer some bouldering oppurtunities. I guess, though, I'm asking the same question, where do we draw the line?

Someone just submitted Brickyard Quarry. And Elizabethtown Pillar. And a lot places that I've hiked out to only to come home without even climbing a single problem/route.

However, I do consider Dinosaur above those recently listed.

A proposed solution would be to implement a rating system for all the areas. That way when you come to the PA state DBase page you'll be able to mentally seperate out what is worth a daytrip, a weekend trip, or an i'm-desperate-after-work-trip.

Randy

roughster

Mar 30, 2004, 11:59 AM
Post #5 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A proposed solution would be to implement a rating system for all the areas. That way when you come to the PA state DBase page you'll be able to mentally seperate out what is worth a daytrip, a weekend trip, or an i'm-desperate-after-work-trip.

Randy

Randy there is already this feature. It is the "Quantity of Climbs" field.

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 30, 2004, 12:10 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it's climbable, list it. The purpose of the RDB is to list any and all climbs worldwide, and if all of the over 19,000 registered users worldwide take the time to enter routes in the RDB then it will continue to be a valuable resource available to all for free.

mheyman

Mar 30, 2004, 1:28 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am familiar with some of these places in PA. I have driven hours to get to them because they were in the old PMA book. None of them were worth the trip. Still a comprehensive database is desirable. I think all locations should be in the database, but comments ought to let people know something of the quality. The problem with the old blue book was that it overrated everything.

Partner jammer

Mar 30, 2004, 1:47 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that the database should include any climable areas. Some areas have nothing to climb on except buildings and underpasses. They'd love to have a crappy crag or boulder to send. When time is a concern, I've been known to clean a boulder in my area for only one problem, but at least there is this one boulder to cllimb! All in all, when you don't have much, even the sh!ttest is better then nothing!

Partner mr8615

Mar 30, 2004, 2:38 PM
Post #9 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps there should be a minimum of info to add an area to the DB? Instead of just a name and rough city that's nearby, maybe you would have to put in directions or lat/long? I agree that any place that has climbing, no matter how manky it may be, is worth listing. But a listing with nothing but a name and a city (that's within two hours) is completely worthless. Let each decide what is worth the trip and what is not for him or herself, but I think it would be nice to have information with which to make that distinction. That doesn't seem like too much to require before a location is listed, merely tell us how to get there and let us know if you think it's worth the trip.

leinosaur

Mar 30, 2004, 3:09 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
rwaltermyer said: And a lot places that I've hiked out to only to come home without even climbing a single problem/route.

I hope you took time to EDIT THE COMMENTS! Others ought to know your impressions - then they can look at your profile and it will give them background on your opinion . . .

Also, beforehand, if there's not much beta on the place, pm the author for further info, or at least look at the author's listed climbs, posts, etc. to see if you trust their opinion before you invest a daytrip . . . if it's that big a deal.

Man, after hours in the car, if I hiked out somewhere, I would climb SOMETHING just to stretch out the ol' back etc. Maybe you just needed some more direction . . .

happy editing
leinosaur

reprieve

Mar 30, 2004, 3:25 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"President Lincoln, you have long legs. How long should a man's legs be?"

"Long enough to reach the ground."

lol! well put. and yes, i think you've got it right - if you can climb it, add it.

jkarns

Mar 30, 2004, 3:35 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Randy

Randy there is already this feature. It is the "Quantity of Climbs" field.

I do not feel that the QUantity of climbs fiend acheives randy's goal. We are talking QUALITY in any amount. Three great boulders won't have more than a few day's climbing, but I'd much prefer it to a hillside of choss. THat's this issue with PA. There are so many hillsides covered in choss that are now being listed in the routes database. Dauphin Narrows is a perfect example of this. Ronck N Road uses both a star system (including the dreaded black hole) and a quanitity rating. I think we should too.

walllizzard

Mar 31, 2004, 5:54 AM
Post #13 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have taken Randy's suggestion and made a change to the description about D. Rock. I made it clear that this is not an area to make any out of the way trip to but if your in the area or want something different, its an area worth checking out. Any future areas that i may post I will make an effort to give better descriptions of the Quality/ qauntiity of the areas. Of course suggestions are welcomed and I will make the best attempts to give reliable ,accurate information. I agree with Randy and his concerns of posting areas, i was caught off gaurd by the curtness, lack of suggestions to improve the information on D. Rock initially. The DB is a great way to find some of those hard to find, secluded areas; that one may might not know about, that are in their back yard.

roughster

Mar 31, 2004, 6:24 AM
Post #14 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I do not feel that the QUantity of climbs fiend acheives randy's goal. We are talking QUALITY in any amount. Three great boulders won't have more than a few day's climbing, but I'd much prefer it to a hillside of choss. THat's this issue with PA. There are so many hillsides covered in choss that are now being listed in the routes database. Dauphin Narrows is a perfect example of this. Ronck N Road uses both a star system (including the dreaded black hole) and a quanitity rating. I think we should too.

I understand that, but the same info is relatively easily conveyed via the comments/description section. Make a post about the area and it will be forever linked to the area and visible on the page.

rwaltermyer

Mar 31, 2004, 11:23 AM
Post #15 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree w/ roughster....and besides, do the programmers (volunteers, remember) need one more thing to figure out especially when there is such a practical solution.

furthermore, rating areas introduces the same moaning and whining as rating photos. then we'd have to listen to ppl complaining that someone intentionally downgraded my gem......... a road I think we'd all prefer to not go down-- we have enough whiners to deal with on here, no use creating more.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook