Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mike_ok

Mar 31, 2004, 1:37 AM
Post #26 of 37 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Re: 2004 Quartz Mountain Spring Fling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just 30% throughout the weekend... doesn't get much better than that in Oklahoma during April...

superdiamonddave

Mar 31, 2004, 2:19 PM
Post #27 of 37 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have seen sheets of water flowing off the walls and then after one hour in the sunshine, everything is dry. With the exception of some of the cracks, there is just nothing for the rain to soak into. I wouldn't sweat the weather.

berkly

Mar 31, 2004, 4:18 PM
Post #28 of 37 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im really wanting to go try the climbing out there but my partner will be out of town for this weekend. Do you guys think there will be other singles out there looking for partners? What about tagging along with other groups?

CPM

superdiamonddave

Mar 31, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #29 of 37 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is usually no problem finding someone to climb with. Most parties will let you piggy back. Also, most will let you jump on their top-ropes too. In between roping up, jump on the great boulders. They are a blast!

leinosaur

Mar 31, 2004, 4:56 PM
Post #30 of 37 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey berkly;

if you're wantin' to start on some of the less death-defying stuff I'm up; I'll have some friends out there but probably an odd number; sounds like lots are going to show up

&

everybody plan ahead to do the hangover challenge run Sunday morning; I read about it on the WMCC website and mentioned to Terry that I was thinking of running and he was all psyched; won't be too long. I'm not a runner usually but what the hell; a good puke will lighten the climbing load for Sunday

sounds like fun; are y'all mostly headin' out Friday eve or Saturday? For me it may depend if I can get the V-dub to stop leakin' so much oil . . . but hope to make it Friday

hasta pronto
leinosaur

superdiamonddave

Mar 31, 2004, 5:06 PM
Post #31 of 37 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm definately heading out on Friday. I will try to get a rope fixed on the headwall before dark. Weather permitting, Friday night I was wanting to take some new folks to do the bat cave at night and also the squeeze chimney at night. They are a total blast in the dark, using nothing but headlamps. Let me know if your interested.

berkly

Mar 31, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #32 of 37 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the less death defying stuff sounds good for my first time out there. It would be great to attempt my first lead out there, hopefully my quickdraws will be here by this weekend (left them in AZ)

Ill probably show up Sat morning driving a gray lexus suv, if you see me give me a shout, my name is Chris

Thanks

berkly

Mar 31, 2004, 5:12 PM
Post #33 of 37 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whats the bat cave?

leinosaur

Mar 31, 2004, 5:15 PM
Post #34 of 37 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alright Dave! - you know I'm all about the night climbing (lookin' forward to it anyway), I'll get a headlamp that actually works by Friday. Sounds suh-weet! (I'm presuming you're presuming "new folks" won't expect to onsight any 5.11's - bat cave & squeeze chimney sound doable)

berk - fingers crossed for your rack but if not there's tons of toprope potential it sounds like & also it sounds like it's so runout you don't have opportunity to use much on your rack any-old-how. I can hardly wait to see the old-time locals in action - I've been doin' way too much readin' on OK climbing history so that now all these ya-hoos are living legends. Can't wait to see 'em post-tequila-trailer & remember they're human, even those who've conquered Yosemite & all . . .

loquacious leinosaur

superdiamonddave

Mar 31, 2004, 5:52 PM
Post #35 of 37 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The bat cave is more of a grouped of stacked boulders (read talus field) really. To start, you have to go through the main "cave" opening. After tunneling around and up, you wind about 50' high and into a "cave". There are usually a handful of bats in there. I actually petted one once. He woke up and quickly scurried away. The bat cave is just something fun to do at night. You don't need any equipment or special shoes.

The squeeze chimney, on the other hand, is slighly more formidable. It is not in the guide book, but I think it should be. It is located behind the fin of rock below the headwall. You actually climb down behind the fin where "Last of the Good Guys" starts. From there you tunnel back in some tight spots and then belly crawl (read real tight) to where the squeeze chimney starts.

The chimney is about 12 feet tall or so? It's about 5.9 in difficulty and comfortable climbing shoes help. We always do this ropeless, and I don't think you could even wear a harness in that tight area. This is a total blast and I do it everytime i'm at Quartz. I even did it in the rain once and it was hard!

It takes about an hour to get 10 people through the adventure. Please note that the squeeze chimney is not for people who are claustrophobic and it is not a good idea to be too inebriated while moving around that high on the approach and descent.

For both of these adventures, you really need someone to show the way for your first time. It's too hard to explain, you just have to do :D

berkly

Mar 31, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #36 of 37 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That sounds pretty fun, count me in

Looks like Im showing up on Fri

crankmarklar

Apr 11, 2004, 6:04 PM
Post #37 of 37 (3290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just saw your post. That was me and I was on Dream Boat Annie with the gri-gri.
Cheers!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook