Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Can we all use INTERNATIONAL mesure units?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mauta

Apr 8, 2002, 3:58 PM
Post #1 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Can we all use INTERNATIONAL mesure units?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi climbers,

i know that the majority of registered users are from EEUU, but i think it would be better to use INTERNATIONAL mesure units instead of those used in the States and few others countries.
Personnaly, i find myself making mental conversions all the time when reading a post, when it comes to foots, pounds, gallons, farenheit, etc...
Of course, i assume that people from EEUU are familiar with INTERNATIONAL units (meter, kilogram, liter, etc). If not, solving the problem for some will create a similar trouble for others.....

Just my opinion, what do you think?

JUAN MAUTALEN

[ Este Mensaje fue editado por: mauta el 2002-04-08 09:01 ]

miagi

Apr 8, 2002, 6:11 PM
Post #2 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Can we all use INTERNATIONAL mesure units? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, in a perfect little world we would all be on the same metric system but were not for some odd reason. Just as in the rating system, we all would love to have the same numbers. One problem though is that we have been using the rating system and metric system for a long time and were simply use to it. We cant really think of metric numbers the way they are, we always think of how they are converted from our system. It would be nice, but if it were to happen, we would have to start with our youth

atg200

Apr 8, 2002, 6:38 PM
Post #3 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh, since most of us are from the US and the server is based in the US, I vote for US measurements. Otherwise, the vast majority of us will be making conversions in our heads, rather than the minority currently doing it.

Feel free to enter your routes in whatever measurement system you see fit - I tend to submit mountains in South America in meters instead of feet to cater to the local custom.

crap

Apr 8, 2002, 8:40 PM
Post #4 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My car gets 25 rods to the bushel and to say it any other way is just crazy talk. Besides the Metric system is from the Devil.

redzit

Apr 8, 2002, 9:03 PM
Post #5 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for an oppinion from the great white north, Even though Canada is officaly on the metric system, (which is all good and pure) it is not the only thing used. most canadians, on average use both, we do not use miles but we do use feet and inches. galonds, no, liters. cups and pints, pounds, thats what we use, plus all the metric. thinkt that to just put up what ever system that is used in the area where the climb is is best. that way who ever is around there can understand it and who ever is going there can talk to lacals and understand.

crap

Apr 8, 2002, 9:19 PM
Post #6 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I vote for the Grampa Simpson system! Take a butt load of that. BTW, a butt load is any amount of any substance that is greater than you'd want to recieve from somebody's butt.

crap

Apr 8, 2002, 9:35 PM
Post #7 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The consept is that even the smallest amount of any thing that comes from a butt is more than anyone wants to have.

Hot as Balls

Defined as: the average day time low temprature in Las Vegas, NV between May 1 and Sept 30.

gilthanass

Apr 8, 2002, 10:23 PM
Post #8 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, Canadian are odd animals. We use feet/inches for a persons hight, but meters for the height of mountains (or for distance, km). We also use pounds for the weight of people, but grams/kilo's for most other things. Basically, we are imperial when refering to ourselves, but metric when refering to the world.

Steve

treyr

Apr 8, 2002, 11:00 PM
Post #9 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree I am not changing any length to metric just for one person and as u said we are mostly americans so majority rules!

Trob

crap

Apr 9, 2002, 12:13 AM
Post #10 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not a big fan of making this a USA only site. One of the things that drew me to Alpine climbing is that it gives me an excuse to travel to other countries more. Plus, I want the input and route discriptions from non-USAers, because some of them climb and are good at it too. Measurement convertions can be a hassel, but there are web sites that can do it for you with out much thought involved. I keep this site book marked for just that reason, there are probably better sites out there than this.http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/convert.htm

peas

Apr 9, 2002, 12:16 AM
Post #11 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do y'all know what the official Texan unit of measurement is?

The Sh*tload.

crap

Apr 9, 2002, 12:50 AM
Post #12 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool, sounds about like a butt load.

Partner camhead

Apr 9, 2002, 1:53 AM
Post #13 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate the metric system. It was just one of many old Soviet Commie plots intended to overthrow our ruggedly individualistic nation.

kaptk

Apr 9, 2002, 2:04 AM
Post #14 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work with people from other countries in the summer and I am lost when they use metric measurements. As one user said earlier, the only way to change to metric in this country would be to educate our children in it at school. This has been tried before, but it has met with much resistance. As crappy as some people may think it is, our unit of measurement is going to stay around.

jmlangford

Apr 9, 2002, 2:58 AM
Post #15 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camhead, you are SO right! It is all part of the one world order conspiracy to bring us down to the level of other countries! Why do we care what Europe thinks, we had to bail their butts out of two world wars!!!

Crap...with a user name like that I wouldn't be talking so much about the contents of a "butt".

P.S. In all seriousness I sympathize with the poster that started this thread. It is a pain having to convert all the time but we all deal with it to a certain extent. Oh well!

[ This Message was edited by: jmlangford on 2002-04-08 20:09 ]

crap

Apr 9, 2002, 4:04 AM
Post #16 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmlangford

Welllll, I hope you have a butt load of fun on your next climb too.

apollodorus

Apr 9, 2002, 5:38 AM
Post #17 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am an engineer, and can fully appreciate the benefit of the SI (metric) units system. If you have to crunch numbers, you want to use the SI units. However, America developed in a vacuum, and we will probably never give up our illogical system of feet, pounds, BTU, etc. Same with the Yosemite Decimal System for rating climbs. It's what we are used to.

The U.S. has "officially" been on the metric system since about 1977, if memory serves.

codey

Apr 9, 2002, 11:11 AM
Post #18 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

12inch=afoot.3 foot=a yard and a yard = a m.2CM=an inch and 6feet=2 meters.Very bacic

burnzy

Apr 9, 2002, 11:58 AM
Post #19 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

6 feet 6 inches is 2 metres.
Australia also use the imperial system for some reason when refering to hieght for no other reason then older people going to you what is that in feet. but other thean that it is metric all the way

laplaya

Apr 9, 2002, 1:30 PM
Post #20 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish we all used the metric system...It wouldn't be a problem then, but we dont and it is. I have lived in a "metric" country for the past 10 years, and if in that time I still dont think in metric my guess is that most people in the EEUU would freak.(I understand Km and Meters, but cant make a hill of beans out of Celceus, the Kilo, mm, cm, xm, etc).

LaPlaya

boms

Apr 9, 2002, 2:59 PM
Post #21 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1 inch = 2.4cm
3.4' (approx) = 1 meter

try living in england

road distance in measured in miles
metric is taught in the schools
everyone uses imperial
it's illegal to display weights and measures in imperial, which few people understand.

and we use stones and pounds not pounds on their own.

natec

Apr 9, 2002, 3:13 PM
Post #22 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know where everyone is getting their conversions but I've seen it screwed up a couple times now.

1"= 2.54 cm.

At least that's the measurements where I went to engineering school.

For all it matters to me, post your #'s in whatever system you like. If it means enough to the reader they will figure it out.

gilthanass

Apr 9, 2002, 3:20 PM
Post #23 of 30 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alright, regarding this, I just want to know where farenheight (no idea about spelling) Temperature scale came from. Is it just a completely arbitrary scale with no basis to reality? Seriously though, what ARE the 2 points in F that govern it, I have been trying to figure it out for a while, but no one I have asked seems to know....

madscientist

Apr 9, 2002, 3:31 PM
Post #24 of 30 (2887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't remember all the details, but a long time ago someone came up with the farenheit scale. He measured the low and high temperature every day for a year or so. The low temperature was set to zero, and the high temperature was set to 100. Thus the scale was born. Yes you can measure temperature without a scale, you just cannot tell anyone what the temperature was.

darkside

Apr 9, 2002, 4:03 PM
Post #25 of 30 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe the farenheit scale was developed by someone of the same name but don't know how it was developed.
appollodorus: the US system is based on the British system but the US system rips you off. Follow me here, In Britain I buy 4 pints of beer, I have paid for 4 pints. That is 80 fluid ounces. I buy 80fluid ounces in the US and I have to pay for 5 pints??? WTF I had to buy 5 because for one pint I only receive 16oz, not 20oz as in Britain. What a rip off eh? Now add to that the alcohol content conversion to Canadian beer and I really get to stay sober
BTW the BTU you mention for others info is the measure of heat energy known as the British Thermal Unit. That should tell you where the mess of measurements came from.
Now when it comes to conversions, I do pretty well because I have grown up doing them all my life. The first conversion I can remember is the decimal currency conversion (I'm showing my age here). when i first started school Britain was in the process of changing from pond. shillings and pence to a pound with 100 pennies.
Previously 12 pennies = 1 shilling. 20 shilling = 1 pound. After the change an old sixpence = 2.5 new pence. A shilling = 5 new pence. A two shilling coin was worth 10 new pence. And the ten bob note was replaced with the 50 pence coin. CONFUSED!!!! try dealing with all this when you are only about 5-6 years old.
Add into that the later change to the metric system, converting money to Canadian, the different US gallon to Imperial Gallon etc, use of pounds and ounces for weight, ounces for liquid, metric for everything, and both for whatevers left.....now you want me to figure out the difference between a buttload and a shitload.
Q Is there really any wonder I don't know what grade I climb under the British rating system?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook