Post #51 of 59 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Re: SUV's Suck!!!!11 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
The whole SUV debate is largely a farce. Far too many people run around patting themselves on the back for buying a fuel efficient car, and then proceed to put 40,000 miles a year on it driving to distant crags every weekend. Yet somehow they feel qualified to be critical of some suburban mother who puts 12,000 miles a year on her Ford Explorer.

But if you are going to be driving 40000 miles a year then wouldn't it be a HUGE waste of gas, $$ and much more impact on the environment to drive that SUV?

And if that Suburban mother can get 1.5 - 2 times the milage on her 12000 miles then we all win as a society.

We can play what if's all day long. The bottom line is, your driving behavior is much more important to determine your "environmental impact" that what type of vehicle you drive.

True, however most peopel won't adjsut the #of miles they drive when they buy a new vehicle so that can be used as a constant. Midsize car vs. SUV over the same number of miles.

Safety is my main concern, I felt I had to buy a small pickup because every SUV bumper was at head/shoulder height when I had a sport compact. One way to solve this is to move to standardized bumper heights for all vehicles.

anjinsan

Apr 2, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #52 of 59 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What i want to know is how one can compare a lincoln navigator to a suburu wrx (impreza). Its like comparing apples to oranges. The lincoln is a 4wd towing machine that weights about 4 tons. The wrx while "all wheel drive" is not 4wd, which requires much more in the way of hardware. If you want to compare the wrx to something, pick a sports car. How about the mustang gt, which costs compare to the wrx, then let them race. I also love the comment about the astin martin, if you can afford that you might as well buy a viper. :lol:

Also, as a mechanical and aeronautical engineering student who fabricates his own offroad and racing vehicles, i resent the remark about the engineers in the us. If you look at the greatest engineering triumps, youll find that more often than not they are from American engineers.

Just my two cents. :D

curt

Apr 2, 2004, 8:42 PM
Post #53 of 59 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey engineer. You need to get your scale calibrated. :wink:

Curt

cupton

Apr 2, 2004, 9:46 PM
Post #54 of 59 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradman- you forgot lotus on your list of cool brit cars still being manufactured.

the new lotus elise is in my mind one of the sexiest looking cars to drive and damn fast to boot. too bad about the radio...

arrettinator

Apr 2, 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #55 of 59 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

K cars all the way.

Partner wideguy

Apr 2, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #56 of 59 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

K cars blow.

Yugo!!!

arrettinator

Apr 2, 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #57 of 59 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

K cars are the shiz.
They are cheap, and built to last.
Had 3 of them in my lifetime.
4 if you count my grandfathers.
Burned oil, but that was about it.
Great in the snow.
Was rear ended by some lady when I was a kid while she was going about 45mph and we were sitting still.
Only the trunk was smashed.
We were all untouched.
Oh how I miss my K car.
Not really though.

Partner wideguy

Apr 2, 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #58 of 59 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

had one K car. Hated it. Small. Doors didn't close right. Failed emissions. Watched it get crushed. Most joy the car ever gave me

nnichols

Apr 2, 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #59 of 59 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like my Xterra - the trip to Potrero and the Agua Thermalis out in the middle of nowhere was fun!!!!!! :D

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook