Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Training suggestions for when there's nothing around!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

alcapone

Apr 12, 2002, 11:47 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2606 views)
Shortcut

Training suggestions for when there's nothing around!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's a long drive for me to drive out to the nearest boulders/cliffs or climbing gym, yet I want to keep training, and keep building up my strength (fingers/arms etc,) and also work on foot technique. What could I build that wont cost me an arm and a leg, or what could I climb when there is nothing around, that would help me get out and do some positive work on my body. Where should I start?

~Al_Capone~

[ This Message was edited by: alcapone on 2002-04-12 06:46 ]

crux_clipper

Apr 12, 2002, 12:04 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2606 views)
Shortcut

Training suggestions for when there's nothing around! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Build a hangboard. With some time, imagination and handy work, you can make one that will get your biceps as big as a watermelon.

krustyklimber

Apr 12, 2002, 12:17 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Al,
You could also build a "sandwich board" style wall. It's basically an A-frame, that hinges open and has climbing holds or campus bars on the inside, and chains or ropes at the bottom to keep it from spreading open. One could easily make one from four 2x4's and one sheet of 3/4" plywood, for around forty bucks, not including holds or campus bars.

Jeff

alcapone

Apr 12, 2002, 1:04 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is plywood the best? Here in South Africa it is quite expensive. I have a plank type thing lying around that I initially intended on using, but having left it out in the rain, it might even be rotten now. Thanks for the input though!

Any alternative advice still welcome
Maybe I should find some tree's to climb, or even my roof or something!

~Al_Capone~

findaway

Apr 12, 2002, 2:09 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, if you don't want to get into the hassle of building a hangboard (which if you have the cash and resources is the best way to go) then just look around the house. Hang on door jams. When you get comfortable with that do chinups and lock-offs on them, get really good and try the one handed hang, weighted hangs, use your imagination. However, if you want to work on footwork as well a woodie is the best way to go. These can get expensive and do take up a fair bit of room but you can get amazingly strong working on one. Check out rockandice.com for plans. Good luck and be sure to test the door jam to see if it can hold you before you put all your weight on it.

madscientist

Apr 12, 2002, 3:02 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a softball, drill a hole in it and put a hook in the hole. Then add a quickdraw to the hook that you can wrap around dumbbells. Put weights on the ball and see how long you can hold onto the ball with one hand.

crackaddict

Apr 12, 2002, 3:19 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Al heres what I built.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=View&Method=ByUser&UserID=crackaddict

I have also built this with only a half sheet of plywood and no crack. 3/4 inch plywood is the best it will hold up better and handle all the pulling. Works good for campusing. I have also seen where you can take a plank and can put rungs made from 2x4s on it. Then you hang it at a 75-80 degree angle and campus the undeside of it. A friend of mine built a hang board out of a plank, 2x4's, and various pieces of wood that were shaped into slopers and crimpers. He even drilled pockets in it. Pretty cool! If you have an extension ladder you can campus or climb the underside of it. I do it at work all the time on a 32' ladder. Any size will work. But make sure its tied off and secure and dont let my boss know I do this!
Heck you could take chunks of wood and screw them to trees and climb them.

If you need any help drop me a pm.

Rockitup!

[ This Message was edited by: crackaddict on 2002-04-12 08:28 ]

mountainrat

Apr 13, 2002, 2:16 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a regular chair, like a dining room table type deal, and put your right foot up on it- now press your body by straightening that leg without holding on to anything.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook