Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sandbag

Apr 20, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #26 of 56 (6044 views)
Shortcut

Re: Portaledge cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Excellent! Exactly the kind of input I was looking for. Coffee is supremely important, but I usually cut some time out of my morning ritual by tossing down two of those Starbuck's DoubleShot do-hickies. Gives me the caffine I need plus satiates the craving for something coffee flavored.

Geo -- the quik-crete effect may be an added bonus, not a detriment. I'll give 'em a test run first but I have yet to find anything that slows down my fudge factory.

Ed
Um, you wont have that problem for sure.....refer back to Geo's post about eating cheese all the way up Denali...... :shock:

flamer

Apr 20, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #27 of 56 (6044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
those damned things will stop the daily special from coming down the tracks just as surely as if you'd just gone ahead and consumed quick-crete for six days.

GEORGE!!!!

You HAVE to eat the gum!!! Every peice of an MRE is essential to the over all puzzle- the gum keeps those bowels a move'n!!!

Still not sure what that damn fruit brick thing is all about....

josh

Partner coylec

Apr 20, 2004, 1:58 PM
Post #28 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what the hell are you civilians thinking?

All the MREs I've had have been provided by the USAF and have been quite tasty. Perhaps, its because my parents never learned to cook. Perhaps flyboys get better MREs than leathernecks. I mean, look at how much work you have to do to sit in a plane all day :D

coylec

PS - i'm a dependent, not active.

ricardol

Apr 20, 2004, 2:33 PM
Post #29 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ed:

.. good luck on your ascent man! ..

.. about cooking on zodiac ..

I brought along a stove when i did it last year .. and i could have done without it -- sure it was nice to have a few hot meals .. and a hot meal at the summit -- but i could have done without it .. and it was a PITA to cook on the ledge ..

.. but then again i did not have a nice hanging stove dealio .. i just had the kind you put on the groud and start cooking ... but of course zodiac has no flat ground to cook on .. so i had to balance the mutherfocker on my knee and the ledge while i heated water .. i though i was going to either burn down the ledge or spill the boiling water on my gonads! ..

.. thankfully none of that happened .. my advice is to leave the stove behind and enjoy your beenie-weenioes cold .. when you're on a wall, you're so frigging hungry anyways that it tastes just fine ..

-- ricardo

deleted
Deleted

Apr 20, 2004, 2:58 PM
Post #30 of 56 (6042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:ac25745c52="coylec"][quote:ac25745c52="mtngeo"]what the hell are you civilians [i:ac25745c52]thinking[/i:ac25745c52]?[/quote:ac25745c52]

All the MREs I've had have been provided by the USAF and have been quite tasty. Perhaps, its because my parents never learned to cook[/quote:ac25745c52]

coylec -- this is by far the most blatant case of child abuse about which i've ever heard. it's pretty much the same as saying, "my parents never learned to cook, so we just ate [i:ac25745c52]dirt[/i:ac25745c52]." :shock:

[quote:ac25745c52="coylec"]PS - i'm ... not active.[/quote:ac25745c52]

nor will you be after a couple of mre's. why do you think the marines are issued c-4?

smithclimber

Apr 20, 2004, 4:17 PM
Post #31 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
.. but then again i did not have a nice hanging stove dealio .. i just had the kind you put on the groud and start cooking ... but of course zodiac has no flat ground to cook on .. so i had to balance the mutherfocker on my knee and the ledge while i heated water .. i though i was going to either burn down the ledge or spill the boiling water on my gonads! ..

:shock: :shock: :shock:

And just when I thought..."now Ricardo really must have his sh*t together to have soloed a wall only 11 months after starting climbing".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you rolled the dice up there with that stove......................

and won (this time). :lol:

I would say that stove balancing acts are best left for the circus performers with Barnum & Bailey's.... as opposed to wall climbers 1500' up the Big Stone. But hey, I like my nads in their current state... call me crazy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

deleted
Deleted

Apr 20, 2004, 4:57 PM
Post #32 of 56 (6042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages ... now in the center ring, [i:dd1068c823]THE AMAZING FLAMO [/i:dd1068c823]and his world-renowned [b:dd1068c823]FIERY SCHLONG OF DEATH!!![/b:dd1068c823]
(at this time we kindly ask that those of you sitting in the first two rows kindly leave your seats and move back.)

michhiker

Apr 20, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #33 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MRE's.....3 lies for the price of 1

sandbag

Apr 20, 2004, 9:54 PM
Post #34 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages ... now in the center ring, THE AMAZING FLAMO and his world-renowned FIERY SCHLONG OF DEATH!!!
(at this time we kindly ask that those of you sitting in the first two rows kindly leave your seats and move back.)

And here is Geo trying to lite the stove at one of our gatherings:

http://www.geocities.com/nosajdrol/kaboooom.jpg

what can i say, it worked..... :shock:

grippedclimber

Apr 20, 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #35 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know if I am on a wall for more than two days or so I will take my stove. I usually don't make warm meals at night but I gotta have coffee in the morning. I like to sit and drink my warm joe and enjoy the view. My cooking on the ledge experiences have all been totally chill, some of the best moments on the wall in fact.

Sometimes I'll throw down one of those starbucks thingies as an appetizer but I need the time it takes in the morning for my bowels to get going and hot coffee does such a ggod job of keeping me regular and on schedule that way I can do my thing and I don't get caught in the middle of a lead or worse, a belay, having to work the sphincter muscles.

I've got a hanging canister stove and I think it is pretty easy to cook with it on the ledge, especially if you are soloing and have a double ledge, youv'e got all kinds of room. I have used all kinds of different hang points for the stove including the middle point. For me it just depends on how the ledge is hanging and how youre bivy is set up. Fact is it's always a little different.

When you have the fly up it is a little more of a pain, but I have'nt really had that much of a hard time with it even with a partner in the ledge. This is another good reason to get a fly like the A5 with zipper doors. It makes ventilation alot easier and cooking safer. Good point with the sharing cooking duties, but if you or your partner has a hard time sharing cooking duties I would suggest getting a new partner.

I would say that the best advice is just to use a little common sense and you won't have a problem. If you can figure out how to solo Zodiac you won't have a problem cooking on the portaledge. (If you have a nice, simple, hanging canister rig)

Oh yeah and it really kicks asz to have a sponge with a clip in loop on it in the ledge, then you can easily clean up little dribbles and stuff. I keep mine clipped to my wall spoon

deleted
Deleted

Apr 20, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #36 of 56 (6042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:b88cf01904="sandbag"]And here is Geo trying to lite the stove at one of our gatherings:[/quote:b88cf01904]

i have no freekin' idea what i'm doing in that picture, but i'm assuming it was a [i:b88cf01904]gas[/i:b88cf01904] stove. :lol: by the way ... does my [i:b88cf01904]head[/i:b88cf01904] look fat in that picture?

[img:b88cf01904]http://www.geocities.com/nosajdrol/kaboooom.jpg[/img:b88cf01904]

timstich

Apr 21, 2004, 12:23 AM
Post #37 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ed,

I think the nice hot meals you will be preparing for yourself will add tremendously to the experience. Don't forget some good hooch. As for putrid swill for dinner, the least appetizing system I have heard of was used by the Huatla cave diving team under Bill Stone. Bill would get all of the various freeze dried dinners, put them through a Cuizinart, and then add hot water to the food powder later. Packs super compact and tastes like...well, never tried it myself. [puke]

reno

Apr 21, 2004, 1:12 AM
Post #38 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
give of Hydrogen gas

2 Rc.com folks in the meadow this summer...

#1:"Hey is that epic_ed up there on Zodiac??"

BOOM!!!

#2 "It was!!!"

Ever the firefighter...

I'd look at it like this:

#1: "Man, that guy sure did suck in a bunch of superheated gas."

#2: "Yep. Bronchial mucosa burns for certain. You think we need to tube him and double the dose of Albuterol, or should we just skip to IV Mag Sulfate?"

#1: "Let's try the Albuterol first, with a chaser of Atrovent. Then if he don't get better, and we're still not at the ER, we'll do the mag."

#2: "OK, but who has to do the paperwork?"

copperhead

Apr 21, 2004, 3:23 AM
Post #39 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless there is ice next to your portaledge, stoves are like power drills......

epic_ed

Apr 21, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #40 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And chain saws, I'd imagine.

Damn, Bryan -- can't I at least get a good YEEERRRR GOOOONNNNAAAAA DDIIIIIIIIIEEEE outta you?

cliffmonkey2003

Apr 21, 2004, 6:44 AM
Post #41 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Portaledge cooking, you've got expensive taste my man. :lol:

Sorry, I can't be useful, might as well be a smartass.

brutusofwyde

Apr 22, 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #42 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ed --

Unless I'm climbing walls in shoulder season or winter, I usually don't take a stove, even for 6-7 day walls. Just too much stuff to haul around.

But when I do, which has been quite often, I hang the stove from an outside corner of the ledge, down below. This way it is out of the way, and incredibly stable. Doesn't work if you've got a fly pitched, but then again, everything is more cramped inside a fly.

Once, when Nurse Ratchet and I were up on Leaning Tower, camping way above Awahnee, the portaledge capsized while we were cooking artichokes, hanging off an outside corner. When we finally got everything straightened out, not only had the stove not melted anything, but the lid was still on the pot, and the artichokes were done!

Brutus

imnotclever

Apr 22, 2004, 1:23 PM
Post #43 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the portaledge capsized while we were cooking artichokes,
Brutus

Artichokes? Really? Wow. They seem like a lot of pack voulme, a lot of mess, and little sustenance. However, I have only made Artichokes twice so I may be screwing something up.

Do you pack it out or throw it overboard?

brutusofwyde

Apr 22, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #44 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Artichokes? Really? Wow. They seem like a lot of pack voulme, a lot of mess, and little sustenance. However, I have only made Artichokes twice so I may be screwing something up.

On a route like leaning tower, in shoulder season, it semed appropriate. And they were delicious, especially when dipped in Degnan's mayo.

In reply to:
Do you pack it out or throw it overboard?

Since what remained were sepals and flower petals (although admittedly non-native plants) we tossed them in a randomly scattered pattern. made tea with the water. It was one of the very few times we have intentionally tossed anything from a wall... the other time was that dead ground squirrel off of Tangerine Trip, but that's another story...

epic_ed

Apr 22, 2004, 7:14 PM
Post #45 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You tossed a perfectly good (dead is the best kind of squirrel...or cat, for that matter) squirrel?? Guess you weren't high enough on the route to consider it good eatin'.

yosemite

Apr 22, 2004, 7:57 PM
Post #46 of 56 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brutus,

You sure that wasn't a flying squirrel?

brutusofwyde

Apr 22, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #47 of 56 (6051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was, for awhile.

It had been riding under a haul bag for a few days... we were waiting for the right opportunity to send it up to Coomer on the zip line...

"d@mn! every size squirrel but the one I need!"

but, in the heat, it was starting to "put on airs" so to speak.

Brutus

lumineferusother

Mar 24, 2008, 8:15 AM
Post #48 of 56 (2391 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brutusofwyde] Portaledge cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw that Jetboil finally came up with a hanging system primarily for Big Wall situations. Does anyone know if the same thing is in the works for the MSR Reactor?

Fenst

Mar 26, 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #49 of 56 (2312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epic_ed] Portaledge cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Take up a thermos full of hot water. It would be lighter and safer than a stove and fuel. Make your self a cozy to cook food in. There are websites that are specifically geared towards freezer bag cooking in cozys. Most nicer thermos' will keep water hot for over 24 hours, especially if you wrap your warm layer/sleeping bag around it. I've used the hydrogen cells in MREs and they are dangerous, I think they can catch fire.

brutusofwyde

Mar 29, 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #50 of 56 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fenst] Portaledge cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fenst wrote:
Take up a thermos full of hot water. It would be lighter and safer than a stove and fuel. Make your self a cozy to cook food in. There are websites that are specifically geared towards freezer bag cooking in cozys. Most nicer thermos' will keep water hot for over 24 hours, especially if you wrap your warm layer/sleeping bag around it. I've used the hydrogen cells in MREs and they are dangerous, I think they can catch fire.

What about the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh days on the wall? Still using a thermos?

Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook