Forums: Climbing Partners: International:
Thailand in June...Climbing Of Course...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

thomascrown

Apr 26, 2004, 3:10 PM
Post #26 of 36 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Re: Thailand in June...Climbing Of Course... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, it seems like a lot of people are going to be there in June. Is anyone else going to be there in Mid May to End May? Also, do the resorts in Ton Sai take credit cards? I will have cash but would like to use credit cards for larger purchases like lodging.
Thanks

eric

Apr 26, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #27 of 36 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So, it seems like a lot of people are going to be there in June. Is anyone else going to be there in Mid May to End May? Also, do the resorts in Ton Sai take credit cards? I will have cash but would like to use credit cards for larger purchases like lodging.
Thanks

Resort? At Tonsai? With a credit card? Funny idea that, however sadly inevitable.
If you want to spend a lot of money stay in west railay. They have 'resorts' over there, or so they say.
On Tonsai in May we're talking around US$4-7 per night. Your major purchases are more likely to be booze.

fiend

Apr 26, 2004, 5:53 PM
Post #28 of 36 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep in mind that the climate wreaks havoc on your climbing gear so you may not want to bring your brand new shoes or harness... use older gear if you have it available. I've spoken with a few people who have returned in the last month or two and they've all said that their gear took a beating.

Personally, I bailed on Thailand in June and am planning to go in October instead :P

thomascrown

Apr 28, 2004, 2:16 PM
Post #29 of 36 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Keep in mind that the climate wreaks havoc on your climbing gear so you may not want to bring your brand new shoes or harness... use older gear if you have it available. I've spoken with a few people who have returned in the last month or two and they've all said that their gear took a beating.

Personally, I bailed on Thailand in June and am planning to go in October instead :P

what kind of havoc does it wreak? i can't imagine it would be any worse than the wear and tear my stuff gets during the summers here in the midwest with 100% humidity and high 80-90 degree temps.

eric

Apr 28, 2004, 4:49 PM
Post #30 of 36 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what kind of havoc does it wreak?

Sea spray, sand and at times very sharp rock. But honestly beyond very sticky biners I've not had much troulbe. Maybe I'm just careful.

cg

May 10, 2004, 1:40 PM
Post #31 of 36 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Resort? At Tonsai? With a credit card? Funny idea that, however sadly inevitable.

They take credit at East Railay - Diamond Cave to be exact. I'm sure there are plenty of other places that accept credit too. Dream Valley and Mountain View at Tonsai take credit online, so I don't see why they won't accept credit in person. They may charge you extra for taking credit, however, but it's something like 3%. Anyway, like Eric says, cost per night is actually pretty cheap, especially now in low season. You don't even need to book - just rock up and bargain. You'll get a better deal in person than if you book online.

cg

May 10, 2004, 1:47 PM
Post #32 of 36 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, with regards to gear, prolly the most annoying this is the sand in your rope. Haven't experienced sticky biners, but the gri-gri took some gunk, though.

I was there last week and Wee has published a new guide book - it's MUCH better than the last one and I reckon better than King's. You have to read some of the route descriptions - it's totally hilarious!

thomascrown

May 11, 2004, 3:41 AM
Post #33 of 36 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh yeah, with regards to gear, prolly the most annoying this is the sand in your rope. Haven't experienced sticky biners, but the gri-gri took some gunk, though.

I was there last week and Wee has published a new guide book - it's MUCH better than the last one and I reckon better than King's. You have to read some of the route descriptions - it's totally hilarious!

Where can I get the new book over there? I leave in the morning!
Climb on,

nthusiastj

May 11, 2004, 3:58 AM
Post #34 of 36 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey people. I have the King Climbers guide sitting right in front of me. It was the only guide that I found there. It won't be hard to pick one up when you get there. Are you really needing one before you go?

Any and all guide shops have the book. Just drop in and buy.

cg

May 12, 2004, 10:24 AM
Post #35 of 36 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw it at Tex Rock climbing on East Raily beach on the way to 1,2,3 wall, but my friend bought the last copy they had (unless they have more now). I think you can also get it from Cliffsman at View Point (also East Railay).

I've also bought the previous Wee's climbing guidebook from Viking at Tonsai. It's located on the path you take to Dream Valley Resort.

Have fun!

*sigh* wish I were still there...

epicsaga

Jul 30, 2004, 8:19 AM
Post #36 of 36 (4303 views)
Shortcut

simonfoley.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for info

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook