Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jetlag

May 17, 2004, 5:46 PM
Post #1 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

has climbing made you boring?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I used to go to a few bars all of the time and chat with the guys about whatever. I started climbing a few months back and went out less. I found that tonight, after a 2 month absence (due to saving cash for climbing) that it was the only thing I wanted to talk about and the only thing the others politely asked about. Climbing has made me boring. As an added bonus, the master (I am in Japan) gave a little speech like this:

I always thought jetlag was really cute and her body was really feminine. But seeing her today, she is really different. (gestures around shoulders and breasts indicating muscles)

Then he asked if we could arm wrestle.

overlord

May 17, 2004, 5:55 PM
Post #2 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Re: has climbing made you boring? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no.

catbird_seat

May 17, 2004, 5:57 PM
Post #3 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Which came first the chicken or the egg? And who cares- if you love climbing that's all that is important.

dfoerstel

May 17, 2004, 5:57 PM
Post #4 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was already boring. :roll:

jetlag

May 17, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #5 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel the responses have proven my theory. :wink:

Partner taualum23

May 17, 2004, 6:06 PM
Post #6 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jetlag: I think you are correct. I used to talk a lot more about other things. I still discuss them, but not as much. As more and more of my energy is poured into climbing, it oiccupes more of my mind, and is the topic of choice very often.
If its any consolation, I'm sure many climbers find your "new" physique very appealing. (I hope that was said in as non-inappropriate way as possible).

overzealous

May 17, 2004, 6:09 PM
Post #7 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I feel the responses have proven my theory. :wink:

Well, the responses certainly illustrate the difference between somone with a serious pursuit and a fanatic. Is climbing an important part of your life or a substitute for it? (retorical question I know).

nthusiastj

May 17, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #8 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found that it has disconnected me from regular "boring" people. We really have nothing much to talk about. Me describing the sick sloper that I hung off of to place gear doesn't make sense to a non-climber. Most are in awe that I climb though. Which makes me exciting to some people.

Partner baja_java

May 17, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #9 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in japan, as you'll find out soon enough, a master asking a girl if she'd like to arm wrestle is akin to asking if she'd like to make out. after he has defeated you and has you wrenched into a submissive posture by the arm, as you can see, at that point, making out would only be most appropriate. by very subtly mentioning he found you cute and feminine, and very slickly alluding to your uncharacteristic yet exotic gestures and muscular breasts, he was most definitely giving you the signals, indicating he was turned on very much by even the slightest gesticulation and turn of your body. he was also feeling you out, by the way, to see if you were gesturing with your shoulders and heaving your breasts on purpose to turn him on. so uh, did you say yes, to the arm wrestling? if you did, please give us the play by play. anyway, hope this helps. foreign culture is such a mystery sometimes

and no, you don't sound boring

Partner drrock

May 17, 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #10 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was already boring. :roll:

Yeah me too. But I don't care.

chronicle

May 17, 2004, 6:28 PM
Post #11 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since I started climbing, I go out much less than I used to, due to the fact that I want to wake up at 4:00am and go climbing. I talk about climbing a lot more now. My "old" friends think I am boring and exciting at the same time. I think it will depend on who you talk to whether they think you are boring or one-sided.

I don't know what a master is, but I'm guessing that it is a complement if he wants to arm wrestle.

monopocketmojo

May 17, 2004, 6:37 PM
Post #12 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i actually think that climbing has made me more exciting. first of all, i do most of my climbing at the local gym, and when you're there that much you make friends quick. these are people that you've at least got conversations about sick clopers and trad placements in common, and who don't mind getting a round of drinks. other people beg me to take them climbing at devil's lake this summer when the weather is nice. i think that either you have to keep other interests to be able to talk to the common man, or else ditch them all and just hang out with climbers...

apoorva

May 17, 2004, 6:41 PM
Post #13 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm..yeah i realise now that about 5 minutes into a conversation with anyone i either begin to talk about climbing or start to get bored. now does that make me boring or is everyone else boring?!
i went to a caving party once where everyone was was talking about caving and that was booooring as hell. so...

usmc_2tothetop

May 17, 2004, 6:54 PM
Post #14 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok first of all on the weekends most people spend there day watching TV, or shopping or just sitting on a couch trying to figure out what to do. Or maybe the occasional smoke at the park then kick a soccer ball around. While you.........your hiking in some beautiful places, meeting some cool people and at times.....100's of feet up doing things that most people would consider action movie material.

Second........you spend say $40 bucks at the bar and you get a few cold things in your hand which run out after 10 min anyways, maybe in someone elses hand since your trying to impress, it's crowded, at times smoky, and the next day you feel like shit, your $40-$60 bucks poorer and you have nothing to show. 1 or 2 weekends not going to the bar and you got your self some nice new equipment.

Or do what I do. Drink water (atleast you have a cup in your hand) and that way you get the money and the social time.
Then when some girl is like
"oh how come your not drinking?"
you can be like:
"oh well..I'm going climbing and hiking tomorrow and I want to feel up to par"
Then she'll be like:
"wow your a climber.....and hiking.......that sounds so cool, must be beautiful"
Then you say:
"yea you should try it sometime, I'll take ya .......whats your #, I usually go on the weekens"

In the end ..........everyone's happy.

crazygirl

May 17, 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #15 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do some of you use climbing as a topic to pick up chicks?

i don't mention that i climb unless someone persistently asks me about what i do with my weekends

usmc_2tothetop

May 17, 2004, 7:04 PM
Post #16 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually if I'm out and I strike up a conversation the "what do you like to do" conversation comes around. That or the friends I'm with mention it in a mocking tone. They think I'm weird (obviously don't climb). Specially when you've had a few and you start looking at the side of a building alittle different then others.

uasunflower

May 17, 2004, 7:11 PM
Post #17 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds like a common enough problem - if you are involved 100% in climbing, the outside life fades away, the friendships of the BC times (before climbing) either think you're crazy, or will politely ask you a question or two about the w-end, shrug and turn away. Lately I'm getting tired of answering the basic set of questions, so most of the time i just shut up and go outside. I don't really worry about being boring - enough self-confidence for that - it's rather that all those "hot" topics of usual conversations (...latest TV show, a ball game or Iraq affairs...) leave me cold and uninterested to contribute.

My issue is a bit different, although on the same note - does banking your all on climbing makes you loose out on the outside world? For the moment my answer is no, as I get a full range of experiences in climbing, far more replete than what I used to get w/o it. However sometimes i'm afraid to wake up one day and feel empty - if the wish to climb goes away, i risk having nothing left...

muni

May 17, 2004, 7:14 PM
Post #18 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I try not to talk to other people about climbing, they just get confused and ask stupid questions...so i dont bother.

r6driver

May 17, 2004, 7:14 PM
Post #19 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

No...I say I'm an astronaut

Would either work on you?

crazygirl

May 17, 2004, 7:18 PM
Post #20 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if the wish to climb goes away, you can always pick up where you started from. the bars will still be there :). but seriously, you can make new friends, start new relationships, find a new activity, i dont think you need to look at other aspects in your life as in constant need of investment

vegastradguy

May 17, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #21 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you mean some of you talk about things other than climbing? weird. :P

crazygirl

May 17, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #22 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

btw, does anyone remember what nonclimbers used to talk about while standing at the bar with a glass of beer?

here are some topics i remember:

if they are mountain bikers, they would talk about the sick fall so and so took

if they are snowboarders, they talked about the sick jump they did

but most of the time, the music is so loud, that you can't hear what the person says, anyway, so they just stand there and smile.

roughster

May 17, 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #23 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I used to go to a few bars all of the time and chat with the guys about whatever. I started climbing a few months back and went out less. I found that tonight, after a 2 month absence (due to saving cash for climbing) that it was the only thing I wanted to talk about and the only thing the others politely asked about. Climbing has made me boring. As an added bonus, the master (I am in Japan) gave a little speech like this:

I always thought jetlag was really cute and her body was really feminine. But seeing her today, she is really different. (gestures around shoulders and breasts indicating muscles)

Then he asked if we could arm wrestle.

I have a very addictive personailty (bordering on obsessive compulsive :lol: ) and learned at an early age that variety truly is the spice of life.

I Rock Climb, but I also: hike, mtn bike, do triathlons, surf, play tennis, play golf, play raquetball, snowboard, read lots of books from fiction to non-fiction, read the paper, play computer games, spend time with my family, help my daughter with her school work, help my wife with her school work, piddle around the house doing this and that (generally though I have no clue about what I am doing :lol: ) , work on our cars, the list goes on and on.

So yes, climbing can make you boring if you are so obsessed that you allow it to take over your life. Not that climbing isn't tremendously fun or rewarding, it just does not encompass the full range of experiences LIFE has to offer IMO.

crazygirl

May 17, 2004, 7:28 PM
Post #24 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

No...I say I'm an astronaut

Would either work on you?

hmm,

before i started climbing, i would be excited to meet someone who climbs, so i could tag along.

granite_grrl

May 17, 2004, 7:46 PM
Post #25 of 73 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nah, climbing hasn't made me boring. Engineering made me boring. People like to hear about climbing, they don't liketo hear about sonar or control systems, trust me...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook