Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

steven

May 22, 2004, 1:48 PM
Post #51 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Re: has climbing made you boring? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

if you need an ego boost to convince yourself you're not boring, feel free to im me. just pm me a time. i don't have the im clients up all the time. right now i'm on daylight savings time so -6 GMT. aim and icq have chat rooms so lots of people can bore each other at the same time :wink: like i don't spend enough time on the 'Net

gottarock

May 22, 2004, 2:12 PM
Post #52 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry. I am way to busy tryin to 'live the life' to be boring. don't have time to be boring or much less be bored....

I'll bet that you are not boring at all, just probably bored with some of the folks you hang out with. hanging out in a bar with a bunch of amatures would surely bore me to tears.

anyway, would love to stay and chat but... I gottarock.... cause I'm goin climbin!

dc

May 22, 2004, 2:50 PM
Post #53 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And then I started climbing once a week and because it was something new and exciting, it would be the highlight of each week. Every weekend, my thoughts would gravitate towards climbing. After awhile, I got stronger and started climbing several times a week, and slowly - insidiously - climbing thoughts seeped into every brain cell in my head.

Nowadays, I am dull and boring and all the jokes I make revolve around sex and climbing and I resort to laughing at my own jokes when I find myself in the company of non-climbers (which fortunately doesn't happen very often). Outside of climbing, I know nothing of current events, politics, popular entertainment, history, science, foreign cultures. I am finding it increasingly difficult to function in society. It's a wonder I still know how to button my shirt.

:lol: i can soo relate

rockburn

May 27, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #54 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl said
In reply to:
Nah, climbing hasn't made me boring. Engineering made me boring. People like to hear about climbing, they don't liketo hear about sonar or control systems, trust me...

I'm in the same boat, and I agree with this completely!!!!

jstokey

May 27, 2004, 4:12 PM
Post #55 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you're not boring, just those who you are around are.

everything_is_taken

May 27, 2004, 5:51 PM
Post #56 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think that climbing is thing you want to brag about

It's thing to make you happy :wink:

indigo_nite

May 27, 2004, 6:27 PM
Post #57 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think of myself as interested in alot of different things.

the downside is maybe I won't master one thing (becoming rich and famous and the like). the upside is that I don't get bored or boring.

I think your master's speech/comments could definitely be a compliment. after the initial surprise, I think that's a good way to take it. different cultures can value different qualities. don't know their names but have seen some Japanese women professional climbers who are totally strong. I'm still trying to figure out how breasts get muscular but well, the days after climbing when my pecs are sore, I wish I had more muscle there...

txrocker

May 27, 2004, 7:08 PM
Post #58 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has climbing made me boring? It all depends on what you would consider boring... challenging yourself in such an extreme way as climbing is hardly boring to me. I do find it difficult to chat with some of my non- climbing friends at times when all I can think about is the wall, but that just comes with the lifestyle. Climbing hasn't made me boring, climbing has made me.

grigri

May 27, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #59 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Huh!? Ive been climbing for twenty years and I will say that climbing takes over your life slowly but surely Ive stopped having any form of normal social life. Fridays were always early to bed then up before dawn and off up into the hills. The obsession grows to horrific proportions as thoughts of the crux holds on your latest project obliterate any rational thought processes. Your clothes become threadbare and torn you forgo the haircut for another weekend roadtrip. Your appearance and the crazed expression in your eyes scares most norms away. :twisted: Those that are brave (stupid) enough to try and strike up a conversation with you are greeted with blank stares and vague mutterings about gastons and crimps. You enter a paralell universe and become one with the zen gods of climbing. Normal people and their patheticly boring existence cease to have any relevance to your being!!!

Weell, not quite but you get the picture. Climbing will turn you into a social misfit, but boring? NO WAY!! Hey if it gets really bad we can always learn french and move to Verdon!

tech_dog

May 27, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #60 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Person 1: "Hey, do you want to go up to Joshua Tree and climb?"

Person 2: "Sorry. I don't climb. Do you want to watch 'Friends' instead?"

Which one is boring?

crazygirl

May 27, 2004, 9:21 PM
Post #61 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing made me stuuupid

sitting here reading this site instead of working

sarcat

May 27, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #62 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I was already boring. :roll:

Yeah me too. But I don't care.

I fall into this category also. Let me explain... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

see?

wiscoclimbiner

May 27, 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #63 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have found that among my climber friends we dont talk about climbing, unless we just got back from a trip. but i talk about climbing with non climbers who really dont care. lesson from this turn your non-climbing friends into climbing friends

yazey

May 27, 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #64 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry. Just think of Fred Becky.
Climb for life.

Partner archae13

May 31, 2004, 3:14 AM
Post #65 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a Software Engineer and a climber, so I am a geek and boring.

Bummer.

theboss

May 31, 2004, 3:17 AM
Post #66 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

7th month as a full-time climber and still loving it!!!!!!!!!!

Partner calamity_chk

May 31, 2004, 3:23 AM
Post #67 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nope, i was boring long before i started climbing.

prezwoodz

May 31, 2004, 4:25 AM
Post #68 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally i think going out to bars and chatting about random junk is boring. Climbing exciting! :-)

chalker7

May 31, 2004, 5:23 AM
Post #69 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was a boring yuppie until i found climbing. climbing made me "un-boring"

Partner calamity_chk

May 31, 2004, 5:27 AM
Post #70 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Personally i think going out to bars and chatting about random junk is boring. Climbing exciting! :-)

hmm, i would guess that this analysis depends on the bar. i've had some pretty exciting discussions at some pretty eccentric bars.

dbs

May 31, 2004, 5:43 AM
Post #71 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

some climbers are boring, that's for sure, but lots aren't. it kind of depends on the type of people you hang out with in general; i think you'll attract similar-minded climbers likewise. that said, there do seem to be a heck of a lot of boring, one-dimensional climbers out there. but that could probably be said about any obsessive pursuit... exciting from a distance, just another challenge to learn from and move on, at least emotionally, once you figure it out. or maybe that's just me. climbing will always be a great love of mine in any case, but in general it's something best done, not talked about--that's when it gets boring. so what the hell am i doing here, on this website? stuck on an island in panama without a rock in sight!!! excuse the rambling... i'm tent-bound and the monkeys are moving in. thanks for letting me bore you!

Partner okie_redneck

May 31, 2004, 6:01 AM
Post #72 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only people who find me boring as a climber are the ones who I now avoid like the plague. I used to spend at least 50% of my paycheck on cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs. I would hang out with really "cool" people that I had nothing in common with all night and sleep half of the day. I guess you could say I was "cool" too in my local rave scene. Right now, I have just enough money to support my high protien, high carb diet because the rest went to cheapholds.com. I can't afford to and frankly don't want to go out tonight, so I've been climbing on my home wall. I've lost and regained about 15 lbs in the best of ways. The shows on television seem asenine to me now, but I like to listen to David Letteman while working out because he makes me fall off my wall from laughing with the two or three jokes per night that are actually funny. I've gotten extremely picky about who I'll date for compatibility reasons. I now find myself getting along with even devout Muslims at work who used to see me as a godless heathen. I think what may make us seem boring to some is that we like to do, not talk. We live our lives ourselves rather than through other people. Most sports have a very distinct line between fans and athletes. We have amateurs and professionals, but I just see Tony Lamiche as someone better than I'll ever be, not an excuse to slack off because of it. We make some uncomfortable and yes, jealous, because we remind them of what couch potatoes they really are. People don't always like to hear about things that they could do with enough effort but never will due to their inablity to make the required level of committment despite an internal desire to do so. If your friend could fly, would you like him/her rubbing it in by talking about it or would you want to talk about something more banal?

lovurock

Jun 6, 2004, 1:37 PM
Post #73 of 73 (7263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah yeah another summit...yawn....that rush when you've crushed the crux..ho hum.....and just another rappel....i could be home watching the weather channel....geeze...what boredom

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook