Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

leinosaur

May 24, 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #1 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

how's your posture?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

several posture questions from which to choose:

are you sitting up straight, right now?

is your posture better, or worse, since you started climbing?

if better, do you do extra exercises, to balance out physique?

do you notice climbers more than other folks slouching forward?

(Q's prompted by recent bit in Climbing about climbing potentially causing hunched back due to overdeveloped front)

stand up straight: healthy back=healthy body!

tnx y'all
leinosaur

manacubus

May 25, 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #2 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Re: how's your posture? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My posture is terrible.

climbingurlie

May 25, 2004, 1:05 AM
Post #3 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I try to keep good posture. I really try to keep good posture when someone compliments my toned "rock climber's back". :P

But ya know, I don't think that rock climbing would necessarily make one's posture poor. I think society has just gotten so lazy that hardly anyone cares anymore.

socalbolter

May 25, 2004, 2:04 AM
Post #4 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been climbing all my life and when i'm not paying attention my posture is terrible!

gman

May 25, 2004, 2:07 AM
Post #5 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bad, I'm slouching at work right now.

jonnyb

May 25, 2004, 2:51 AM
Post #6 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For me, bad posture results in Tendonitis in the shoulders. I try my best to stand up straight, and that keeps my tendons happy.
-and yes, this is from overdeveloped climbing muscles.

papounet

May 25, 2004, 6:51 AM
Post #7 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is not so much hunching or sloaching , it is rather like rolling the shoulders forwards, the palms of thge hands facing back.

My PT gave me some exercises to "unroll the shoulders"

marshall84

May 25, 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #8 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently had a chiropractor tell me I had the posture of an 80 year old. Mine is more work related, but it sucks trying to get good posture back.

dc

May 25, 2004, 1:01 PM
Post #9 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*the hunchback straightens up as he reads this thread indignantly*

Partner missedyno

May 25, 2004, 1:16 PM
Post #10 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my posture used to be good - but i'm wondering now... i have the overdeveloped back and shoulders compared to my front... i think i've started to hunch.

leinosaur

May 25, 2004, 2:22 PM
Post #11 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aha - so, erstwhile armchair pt's out there, what can we do to balance it out? there were some exercises in the article, but I'm curious what, if anything, y'all do to counteract, or think you should do to counteract this?

leinosaur

icekubes7

May 25, 2004, 2:44 PM
Post #12 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good posture is totally essential for everything. It prevents lower back and shoulder problems. It also prevents getting out of balance. Taking yoga classes with a good teacher is one of the best ways to learn and practice good posture. I had a job for a while where I was standing all the time, and everyday after work my lower back was killing me. It was because I was standing with my butt out and all that pressure right on my lower back. Thankfully a friend pointed out how bad my posture was. I was told to rotate my hips so that my butt isn't sticking out so that a lot of my weight was on my stomach muscles. Your stomach is very strong, and it's meant to support your back also, so that it has front and back support, instead of all of it on the one point on the lower back. So, concentrate on keeping your abs somewhat flexed at all times with your butt under you instead of way behind you, and over time it will get trained to stay like that. And of course "unroll" the shoulders. I swear, since I've been paying attention to this I haven't had any more back or shoulder problems. Also the balance is important, I was standing with all my weight on my right leg all the time, because I'm more right dominated. This was carrying over to everything. I was pulling harder with my right side while climbing, pushing harder with right while riding my bike. I started getting a lot of injuries like tendonitis and stuff on my right side. The same friend pointed out how out of balcnce I was. I wasn't using equal force from both sides, so I was just hurting myself! I can honestly say that getting good, balanced posture was one of the most important things I did to enable me to continue climbing and having fun without getting hurt, and I know that I'll be able to climb the rest of my life now with fewer injuries.

sarcat

May 25, 2004, 3:28 PM
Post #13 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My posture is terrible.

ditto, ditto, ditto.

jkarns

May 25, 2004, 3:35 PM
Post #14 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All ya gotta do to fix it is have an understanding of what good posture is and an awareness of how your posture differs from that. Ask yourself all the time: How's my posture right now? And fix it. Get in a good habit and it wont be a problem anymore.

sharpie

May 25, 2004, 3:43 PM
Post #15 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sux.

keste

May 25, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #16 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ugh, my posture is horrible. It was better when I used to weight train on a regular basis. :(

girlclimb

May 25, 2004, 4:45 PM
Post #17 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my posture is pretty bad, I also read that article in climbing a while back and it really got me to thinking about my posture, i think it has begun to improve but i havn't gotten to the point where i stand up and sit up straight without thinking about it. take reading this i will admit i was confortably hunched reading the screnn but now my back is straight up! hehe. I found that the excireses in the magazine did help, i would like to learn more though but don't have the time to take a yoga class does anyone have any really good excersises that help. Also i do think climbing is a factor because you focus so much on the back set of muscels and it seems to exagerated that rolled shoulder look. good post!

edge

May 25, 2004, 5:04 PM
Post #18 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alot of it has to do with an imbalance in the pull muscles of the back. Work the opposing muscle groups with loads of push ups and dips, and that will also help to avoid injury.

gretchino

May 25, 2004, 5:39 PM
Post #19 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Considering my boyfriend is a chiropractor, my posture is great. Although I don't think climbing made it better or worse...

sullerito

May 25, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #20 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not totally sure they would be the thing, but for strengthening the front body, there are a lot of yoga backbends that open the front muscles.

I wouldn't just do them by themselves, but as part of a whole yoga series they definitely get into reversing all the forward bending we naturally do.

Here's some examples
http://www.yogadancer.com/Pages/UrdhvaDhanurasana.shtml#Urdhva.shtml

leinosaur

May 26, 2004, 3:04 AM
Post #21 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, sullerito - Those are some impressive photos.

Not hard to see how being that stretchy could make for some really fun (and good) climbing.

Thanks for the link, it's got me extra fired up to really get back into yoga

(I've already been meaning to, due to numerous occasions where an extra bit of stretchiness would've really made the difference)

leinosaur

simianboy

May 28, 2004, 4:55 PM
Post #22 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How come so many of you are complaining that your shoulders are being pulled forward? I'd have thought our overdeveloped backs would pull them backwards.

My posture has improved I think. My back used to be really underdeveloped because I never even knew there were muscles there until I started climbing. :oops:

jetlag

May 28, 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #23 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to a climbing fest last week that had a q&a session with a doctor. He said a simple way to see if you have/a re developing the climber's hunch is to sit there and raise wour shoulder up to your ear (like a deep shrug). If it rolls forwrd rather than going straight up, you may want to do some work on the opposite muscles.

Now doing the jutting your head forward thing is my problem. Even when I make the other adjustments, I still have trouble keeping my neck in line with my spine. Ah, 30 years of tmj...

blackboard

May 30, 2004, 8:13 PM
Post #24 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've also been paying a lot of attention to my poor posture recently, and more specifically, trying to correct habitual preferences for the left or right side.

My back and shoulder muscles are quite unbalanced due to years of wearing my backpack slung on just my right shoulder during junior/high school (I don't know why, anyone wearing both straps were considered dorks at the time. We also tied an onion on our belt, which was the style at the time...).

My shoulders have also always habitually rolled fowards, a position reinforced by my habit of crossing my arms when I'm either sitting or standing*. What's worse, I always cross my arms one way (left arm over right), which causes one shoulder to drop and the other to rise. Even now, it feels weird to cross my arms the "other way," like I'm holding a position rather than hanging at rest. So now, whenever I can, I'm trying to make it a habit to stand with my hand behind me, like a miliatry "at ease" posture. It keeps my shoulders rolled back and level.

- blackboard

* Add to that a habit of putting my hands in my pants pockets where low waistline + negative ape index = deep slouch.

corpse

May 30, 2004, 9:13 PM
Post #25 of 30 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since my lower back has been bothering me alot lately, I've started to also take posture much more seriously lately - as mine has always sucked... And my doc has said that many of my problems are likely due to my posture. So if your back is feeling good and your posture stinks, work on correcting now before it too late...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook