Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Sleeping in your ride. Send pics of your system.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

doktor_g

May 26, 2004, 4:54 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1719 views)
Shortcut

Sleeping in your ride. Send pics of your system.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey folks.

I gotta problem. I've been putting off making a sleeping platform for my jeep cherokee. I've always envied the cool kids with their neoto platforms in their tricked out rice burner Toyota Tacomas, but I gotta have something and FAST (in two weeks) for my jeep cherokee (not a grand). Send some pics for some ideas. Any jeep pics would be much appreciated.

PS: Latest issue of Alpinist (#7) rocks!!! Check it out.

Thanks.

dano

May 26, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1719 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sleeping in your ride. Send pics of your system. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dude - it's an f-ing cherokee. take OUT the back seat... put IN the cordless....

doktor_g

May 26, 2004, 3:14 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I've been using my crash pad which is way too short anyway, but I need someplace to store all my crap too. Out of sight like. Get me?

G

Partner wideguy

May 26, 2004, 3:25 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Save your effort. Any platform/secret compartment/hidey hole staorage you make is gonna be obvious. Take your valuables with you when you leave and go simple.

My buddy drove cross-country in his chrokee an to a P/U truck lock box and bolted it though the floor into the chassis and he STILL got it yanked in New Orleans. If they want it they will get it.

jkarns

May 26, 2004, 3:52 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, you should take small valubles with you, but the platform is still key to organizing and hiding the big stuff. My friend put one in a Rav4 that he could sleep on, so a cherokee is very doable. First, TAKE OUT THE BACK SEATS! Then build the platform so that is totally fills the back. If you still don't have enough leg room for sleeping, move the front seats as far forward as possible, and make a little hinged piece to attach to the platform that can flip up when the front seats are all the way forward. This should get you like 6-8 more inches.

dano

May 27, 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, without the sarcasm then...

don't know what year your jeep is - does the back seat fold down flat? if so then here's what i had planned for my pathfinder.

a) fold back seat flat.
b) build a simple 2x4 box frame that's rectangular, to fit between the wheel wells in back from the back of the front seats to the tailgate. should be at least 12 inches deep or come to the top of the wheel covers.
c) run a stringer lengthwise down the center of the frame flush with the top.
d) cut an 8 ft x 1/2 inch finished both sides plywood board to fit the space in back. (if the frame is high enough it will sit just above the wheel wells so you don't have to worry about cutouts.)
e) rip the plywood down the middle, so each half will lay on the stringers.
f) attach each plywood to the middle stringer only, with hinges. this way you can get in to the space underneath from either back door.

.... THEN throw the cordless on top! (or buy cheap foam at a fabric store, and cover with a canvas tarp from home depot.)

if instead you CAN take out the back seat and it leaves a flat space you can still do the above - but you'll likely get to make the box deeper. that's what my friend with a tacoma did. drill holes and use big bolts when you can for the frame, so you can take it apart easier.

good luck.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook