RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

xclimber47

May 28, 2004, 8:37 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1689 views)
Shortcut

How To Make Chalk Balls?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just finished up a one time use chalk ball, and I'd like to get a refillable one, but im cheap... I'd rather make one out of a sock. I was just wondering how you get the scrunchy thing into the sock so you can close it up and open it. Anyone made one before?

ntu_soca

May 28, 2004, 8:42 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Re: How To Make Chalk Balls? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just cut a sock off about 4 inches up. Then poke some holes in the top part and use a shoe lace to tighten it up. It's really easy.

walllizzard

May 29, 2004, 3:22 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take some of ur Mom's or girl friends stockings; tie one end shut fill it with the proper amount of chalk to make the size ball ya want and then tiew the other end. I recommend using 2 stockings one can rip easily. If ya want something you dont have to untie, use zip ties that way you can just cut the zip tie and put a new one right back on.

yezad

May 29, 2004, 3:30 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, I would go with the hose/stocking idea. It's thin and porous and has a similar texture to chalk bags you would get from Petzl etc. All you need is some loose Talc. and fill her up, tie it off and you're done. Works like a dream. ;)

peace

climbingurlie

May 29, 2004, 5:15 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a pain in the butt, but the finished product looks exaclty like any other chalk ball that you could buy. Those tiny little "footie" socks made by Peds work well. Tear the fold that's on the top so that you have a vertical rip/cut down the hem. String some elastic through a safety pin, string it through the sock's hem, and secure it with one of those elastic stopper thingys. Like I said, a pain in the butt, but it's reusable, cheap, and an interesting thing to do when you're bored. :P

crzdriver

May 29, 2004, 5:52 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't sew, so I had my mom do it for me. I took a sock and folded about a 3/4" hem down from the top with a cinch cord it in (old shoelace or cord). I put one of those button cinchers on the two ends of cord poking out so you could open it up and refill it. I rarely put chalk into it any more because just grabbing the ball is usually enough unless it's July with 99% humidity.

Partner russman

May 29, 2004, 6:06 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Take some of ur Mom's or girl friends stockings; tie one end shut fill it with the proper amount of chalk to make the size ball ya want and then tiew the other end. I recommend using 2 stockings one can rip easily. If ya want something you dont have to untie, use zip ties that way you can just cut the zip tie and put a new one right back on.

Exactly what I did roughly 10 years ago...adn I am still using teh same nylons. I like the idea of teh zip-strap. thsoe damn knots are hard to untie. I love that in there...plus it is fun to buy a chunk of chalk and then put in a bunch of chunks and then crush them up.

saskclimber

May 29, 2004, 6:08 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

instead of messing around with loose chalk, or filling bags, just use blocked chalk and break them into chunks. That is, unless you go to a gym that has a no loose chalk rule.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook