RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

fenix83

May 29, 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Camping gear checklist - Plz help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got my climbing partner back (them college-types at Purdue had kidnapped him!) and we have decided we are going to start full weekend camping/climbing trips. This, of course, means getting all sorts of gear for climbing. I have been doing some research on what we need to get, and this is what it looks like we are getting. Bear in mind that we have absolutely NO camping gear, and precious little camping experience, so let me know if we are missing something, or are taking too much crap.

For reference, we will be using it mostly in Central America (which means lows just under freezing point, and some pretty steep, high humidity highs and above all, RAIN RAIN RAIN!), but it would be nice if we could take it down to South America and the US.

REI Half Dome 2 Tent
REI Half Dome Plus 2 Footprint
Light Year 25° Down Sleeping Bag
Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Deluxe - Large
EXPEDITION™ STAR Special
AMK Pocket Survival Pack
AMK Fundamentals Kit
BD Super Nova Headlamp*
MSR Superfly Stove
MSR Alpine Classic Cookset
MiniWorks EX Water Filter
Leatherman Charge Ti
Glock Field Knife
Kelly 50th Anniversary Pack
Krill Green Extreme Lightstick
Boker Snacpac Eating Set
Cold Steel Khukri
Glock E-Tool Field Spade
Garmin Rino 110
Exped Scout Hammock

wallwombat

May 29, 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #2 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Re: Camping gear checklist - Plz help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are expecting lots of rain, take a tarp of some kind. It makes cooking and camp life in general much easier.

fenix83

May 29, 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #3 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great tip, we definitely expect rain, and lots of it (I guess that is why they call it a Tropical Rain Forest).

Keep them coming guys... BTW that is the order in which we plan to buy them, since we will obviously take a while to get the money for this, and we will be starting to camp ASAP.

trogdortheburninator1

May 29, 2004, 1:28 AM
Post #4 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel like your list provides a mix of gear suitable for car camping, backpacking, or climbing. However, as is I don't feel the complete list is ideal for anyone of these pursuits. For example, the thermarests you have selected are quite heavy for backpacking/climbing, but quite suitable for car camping. The tent is a good compromise between very light weight (ie quarter dome or lighter), and something more luxurious. I really like the half dome, and think it meets all needs well. For stoves, the simmer lite and dragonfly are both very nice. I would get either a MSR blacklite or Duralite cookset. Also, I really like the BD zenix headlamp. Basically, for backpacking/climbing, you could get significantly lighter gear than this. For carcamping you could get significantly less expensive gear than this.

trogdortheburninator1

May 29, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #5 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oops ignore the thermarest comment, didn't realize you said ridge rest

fenix83

May 29, 2004, 1:34 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am looking for gear that will allow me to go through most situations. Car camping is not an option at all, this is mostly for backpacking and/or climbing. If you have any specific suggestions for gear tradeofs I'd love to hear them.

climbtothebeet

May 29, 2004, 1:40 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i never found ridge rests comfortable. i have a thery on pads for backpacking(ive done alot of this) and it has worked so far. when i first started backpaking i used a cheep closed cell foam pad 1\2 thick and only long enough for my shoulders and hips. i was never fully rested, always a little tired and had bruses from the rock. so, i bought a thermarest backpacker 3\4 length pad(self inflating) and i slept better than at home on my bed. (infact i used it at home when my back had problems) so, my thery is that the extra weight in a pad makes up for it. wow. long story,

also
water filters are nice, but a hassel. takeing them aprat, cleaning them, etc. i would use polar pure. that stuf is amazing. if u break a bottle of that into a mountian stream, u just purified the WHOLE thing. those things are awesome. and the taste isnt noticable.

i second the dragonfly, those things are cool. BUT get the extra parts kit when u get it, u WILL use the peices. the one i was using had fuel cloging alot, mainly because dirt kept getting in the bottle somehow. God bless

pinktricam

May 29, 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A partial roll of duct tape would be a good idea. Wrap 6M or so around one of your Nalgene bottles. Safety pins and heavy needle and thread. All this will come in handy for emergency repairs.

A Pack of moist towlettes (i.e. Wet Ones), for clean up and that 'fresh' feeling. Include a Gallon size freezer bag or two for packing out all your trash.

Also, don't forget a camera, extra film and sun block.

Have a great trip!

jackscoldsweat

May 29, 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sifting through the list you currently have...my comments in bold for what they are worth. I have many questions/suggestions concerning your list. Mark Twight's book on light is right method applied towards alpine climbing could point you in the right direction. You may or may not be going alpine but his book provides new ideas and methods even the weekend hiker should consider. Remember ...you are going to have to lug all this crap around. I'd shoot for a total approach pack weight @ somewhere around 65 maximum. Summit push pack weights no more than 25-35 lbs.

JCS

In reply to:
REI Half Dome 2 Tent look for somthing lighter
REI Half Dome Plus 2 Footprint - do not need
Light Year 25° Down Sleeping Bag - if expecting lots of rain...consider a sythetic
Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Deluxe - Large - Consider the Z-Rest
EXPEDITION™ STAR Special leave it at home
AMK Pocket Survival Pack modify it according to weight
AMK Fundamentals Kit modify it according to weight
BD Super Nova Headlamp*
MSR Superfly Stove light is right but in an alpine environment consider the XGK.
MSR Alpine Classic Cookset overkill/ too heavy
MiniWorks EX Water Filter Priceless,however consider iodine
Leatherman Charge Ti Ti? Still too heavy.
Glock Field Knife consider a smaller/more light knife
Kelly 50th Anniversary Pack there are better/lighter and cheaper bags than this one.
Krill Green Extreme Lightstick not necessary
Boker Snacpac Eating Set - just bring a peakware ti spork
Cold Steel Khukri leave it at home
Glock E-Tool Field Spade find something cheaper and lighter yet durable
Garmin Rino 110 topo maps are lighter
Exped Scout Hammock leave it

fenix83

May 29, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just for clarity's sake, not all of this is going on every trip, This is just the overall list. Thanks for the posts, keep tjem coming.

-F

walllizzard

May 30, 2004, 2:51 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to give ya my two cents

Sleeping bag:Synthetic/ 700 fill down bag of some kind at least 20' F bag of Polar Delta or better maybe even Primaloft (relatively new) if ur spending the money go with the Pertex shells ( they are water resistant and light)

Pads: Ridge rest are great non-inflatable pads. EMS makes a good pad, Crash pad. and there are new light weigfht Thermarests but they come at a high price.

Tent: wel anything that eats ur neead for weight and floor space, i would go with teh footprint, many tents with a made foot print can be used just with the fly ot make an light weight shelter, MAke sure the tent u purchase has venting of somekind. Most 3 season tents nowadays do.

Stove: MSR is alwasy a good choice especially for traveling over sees, get a multi fuel design. I have a coleman exponent and love it, uses conister propane/ butane mix. Primus makes good lightweight stoves. If ya just want to boil water get the Jetboil heard lots of good about it.

Cookwear: Anything from MSR is pretty good. I have Coleman stainless steel cook set, and then have a lightweight 5 inch non-stick pan i bought at walmart just as good as what MSR makes maybe not as light but will be just as nice. Stainless will last longer than aluminum and is nonreactive. I am planning on getting titanium soon. Brunton makes a great set of titanium fork, spoon, knife sets for aroound $20.

Assorted stuff sacks to put ur food into and hang from the trees. MAke sure u buy some strong lightweight cord, can always use the extra cord to tie off things too.

Poop shovel made of aluminum or hard balistic grade plastic.

Fliter: I have the Katadyn Hiker and love it the fliters are not that expensive and last a long time, good flow to pump ratio. Its lighter than the MSR but its not field serviceable, taking an extra filter will still be lighter than taking all the MSR stuff with ya. Also buy some iodine tablets as a back up or for that water thats oh so yucky. I know alot of ppl are buying the water bottles that have fliter systems on them for short trips/ travel as not having to take the larger filter with.

Packs: any pack that meets ur fit, dont worry about how much it costs, make sure it fits right. I had a TNF Minuteman but have to get a larger pack. I plan on buying a Gregory 5000+ or a EMS summit 5500

Dot forget the Nalgene bottles

Most of all go out and try as much as you can. I am a big fan of EMS (eastern mountian sports) gear, find it to be just as good especially considering the price and what ya get.

Here's what I have:
EMS Cold snap/725 fill Down 20'F bag
TNF Minuteman pak
Katadyn Hiker filter and Iodine tablets
EMS Crash pad/ sleeping mat
EMS Northstar tent w/footprint
Coleman Peak cookset/ Stainless
Coleman Exponent Powermax stove

mr.shortround
Deleted

May 30, 2004, 4:54 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one major aspect of backpacking that you are forgetting is clothing.. AVOID COTTON AT ALL COSTS. Once you get cotton wet, it stays wet and makes you really cold. Also, do you have a rainsuit? not just a poncho, but a lightweight rainsuit. They'll run you right around 80 bucks for a decent set. For backpacking you will also need synthetic socks, I personally use smartwool, but cheaper alternatives are readily available. Definately bring the footprint to the tent if its going to be raining alot. If you need to cut weight you can also use this as a tarp for cooking, then set your tent up after you are done.

stove - just get something lightweight that is easy to clean (very important) and is simple enough that you can understand how to fix it yourself. I strongly reccomend bringing a repair kit for a stove, mine always has a problem when I get halfway through a trip.
down bag -is nice, as it is light and compact but if you get it wet you will be miserable, consider a synthetic.
ridgerest -can also cut some weight, take a knife and cut it at the head and feet. Unless you roll around a bunch this will save some space and a little weight. (note, if you do roll around alot, I wouldn't do this. The pad helps a TON in keeping you warm at night)
Glock knife -leave it at home. Just bring a leatherman, or a swiss army knife. All you really need is a small knife (1 inch blade) to cut open meals, a screwdriver head for fixing things, and maybe a set of pliers to take pots off of the stove. (if you bring a leatherman, leave the tongs for grabbing the pots at home)
EXPEDITION™ STAR Special , The lightstick- both are not neccesarry, bring one of those keychain lights. (unless you are doing night hikes)
Boker Snacpac Eating Set - Camping food requires a spoon. gourmet camping food requires a spork.
Cold Steel Khukri - Are you bushwacking???? if they are maintained trails, leave this at home.
Glock E-Tool Field Spade - take a plastic trowel with you, the field spade is too heavy.
Hammock - personal choice, I would leave this at home, but be sure to bring 1 luxery item (so long as you are willing to carry it) I choose a camp chair, but you get the idea...

If you are going to be climbing in very remote areas, you should also consider taking a rather extensive medical kit. Be sure that it has splints and painkillers incase the worst happens. Also, a small piece of advice is to not touch the rainfly to the tent when it is raining, unless you want it to rain inside the tent... :D

Have fun

-Stu

toejam

May 30, 2004, 4:59 AM
Post #13 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

#1 on any list: Toilet paper, otherwise known as "Mountain Money".

papounet

Jun 1, 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are after "light" camping, emulate the care this guy prepares his treks.

in french, but should be self-explanatory
http://www.randonner.leger.free.fr/matos/liste.htm

peroxide

Jun 1, 2004, 12:58 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A quick way to "gain experience" fast or at least have better handle on some tools to successful camping, read

THE COMPLETE WALKER

I think it is in its 3rd or 4th edition now. I had a friend in a similar situation who had NO camping experience prior to going on a two week backpacking affair. 3 weeks before the trip, he asked me what to do to prepare (he was already physically fit). Told him to read the book and he had a great time.

It has great gear lists, little comfort hints, and other cool info. Go to the public library and check it out. Cheers,
P

michhiker

Jun 1, 2004, 2:01 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditch (pun intended) the etool
Cut out the Leatherman
Put the light year to sleep.

Instead I'd go for maybe a cat's meow or something by Western Mountaineering for the sleeping bag. One good quality knife should suffice for everything you will really need to do. Here is a good link for you to check out. http://forums.backpacker.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1

Best of luck out there!

---MH

rngrchad

Jun 1, 2004, 2:27 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I personally use smartwool

Make sure smartwool, or any wool works well for you before you go. I spent a weeklong backpacking trip in mid winter with soaking wet feet because the damn smartwools don't breathe. I now wear running synthetic socks for all backpacking trips because of my overly perspiratory feet. I've met many others that agree with me here and I've met others that love the smartwools and even wear them during the summer.
The most important part of your pre-trip is figuring out the best shoe and sock combination. Feet will make or break any trip so take care of them at any costs. Also, roll some duct tape onto a small flashlight or your water bottle and when blisters arise promtly stop and cover the blisters w/ duct tape. This helps tremendously.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook