First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

jefffski

Jun 1, 2004, 1:25 AM
Post #51 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Re: Dog Defenders: Please Read! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

in 2001 there were more than 28,000 firearm related deaths in the usa.

(from the national center of injury prevention and control)
http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_fy.html

scary!! glad i live in Canada. here it's only squamish hooligan teenagers that terrorize!

peace

Partner tgreene

Jun 1, 2004, 1:47 AM
Post #52 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
in 2001 there were more than 28,000 firearm related deaths in the usa.

(from the national center of injury prevention and control)
http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_fy.html

scary!! glad i live in Canada. here it's only squamish hooligan teenagers that terrorize!

peace

If you're going to quote stats, at least be honest enough to post how they are comprised...

The majority of firearms deaths are suicides.
Then we have police action shootings.
Then we have violent criminals.

The stats make it look like it's only armed criminals, but it's not!

It should also be known that over 2,000,000 crimes are thwarted each year, by law abiding gun owners that use them to STOP crimes in progress.

FWIW: Drownings in swimming pools far outweigh the number of firearms related deaths each year.

bigdrop

Jun 1, 2004, 1:58 AM
Post #53 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you're going to quote stats, at least be honest enough to post how they are comprised...

Murders with firearms (per capita)
01. South Africa 0.74 per 1000 people
02. Colombia 0.52 per 1000 people
03. Thailand 0.31 per 1000 people
04. Zimbabwe 0.04 per 1000 people
05. Mexico 0.03 per 1000 people
06. Costa Rica 0.03 per 1000 people
07. Belarus 0.03 per 1000 people
08. United States 0.02 per 1000 people
09. Uruguay 0.02 per 1000 people
10. Lithuania 0.02 per 1000 people
11. Slovakia 0.02 per 1000 people
12. Czech Republic 0.02 per 1000 people
13. Estonia 0.01 per 1000 people
14. Latvia 0.01 per 1000 people
15. Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of 0.01 per 1000 people
16. Bulgaria 0.00 per 1000 people
17. Portugal 0.00 per 1000 people
18. Slovenia 0.00 per 1000 people
19. Switzerland 0.00 per 1000 people
20. Canada 0.00 per 1000 people

Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/.../cri_mur_wit_fir_cap

jefffski

Jun 1, 2004, 2:14 AM
Post #54 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Murders with firearms (per capita)
01. South Africa 0.74 per 1000 people
02. Colombia 0.52 per 1000 people
03. Thailand 0.31 per 1000 people
04. Zimbabwe 0.04 per 1000 people
05. Mexico 0.03 per 1000 people
06. Costa Rica 0.03 per 1000 people
07. Belarus 0.03 per 1000 people
08. United States 0.02 per 1000 people

Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/.../cri_mur_wit_fir_cap

first, i wouldn't be bragging--look at the company you keep.
second, bigdrop, can you verify that 2 mil prevented crimes?

i went back to the website and requested the number of firearm deaths in 2001 that were unintentional or undetermined intent--this eliminates violent incidents including homicides and law related.

there were over 800 unintentional deaths and over 200 undetermined ones.
on average that is 2 per state per month.

still pretty scary!

still glad i livein canada where we don't have even close to the per capita crime rate you have. and we don't compare ourselves to colombia or south africa, but to sweden, holland and japan, for standard of living and crime rates.

but please to not take this to mean that i am putting down the us. we are great neighbours and i enjoy visiting your country often. i do think tough that some things have gotten off track. sometimes i do see similar issues cropping up here too, and it makes me sad.

peace.

jeff

jaylaka

Jun 1, 2004, 2:17 AM
Post #55 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The guy shot the other guy because he was pissed about the dogs. If he had been afraid for his life he would of shot the dogs, not the person. Three center mass shots is not panic.

He will probably get away with it, but as far as I am concerned, he murdered that person.

i totally agree with this. it's not self-defense, it's murder.

telemarkist

Jun 1, 2004, 2:18 AM
Post #56 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.azcentral.com/...0525hikerfolo25.html

this is the newspaper article if you guys want to view it

lovesclimbing

Jun 1, 2004, 2:32 AM
Post #57 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My God is the US backwards, thankyou for posting this, every now and then I think something must be better but when you see how something like this can happen and mind you I have only read the frist 4-5 articals I don't understand how people are not loseing it over this. No amount of money or climbing for that matter would have me move there. Thankyou again and even though most in the US will think I am bashing them I feel for that the man's family and what seem's his decent life that in my eyes were taken away wrongfully. If I was a religious person my prayers would go to him.

bigdrop

Jun 1, 2004, 2:41 AM
Post #58 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Attention: jefffski

In reply to:
first, i wouldn't be bragging--look at the company you keep.
I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.
To which company are you referring to??
http://www.foundlocally.com/...y/Images/Ontario.gif

In reply to:
second, bigdrop, can you verify that 2 mil prevented crimes?
Nope. But I also didn’t make that statement, tgreene did.

In reply to:
...we don't have even close to the per capita crime rate you have...

err... yes you do. 0.00 per 1000

~JC :wink:

the_pirate

Post #59 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The guy shot the other guy because he was pissed about the dogs. If he had been afraid for his life he would of shot the dogs, not the person. Three center mass shots is not panic.

He will probably get away with it, but as far as I am concerned, he murdered that person.

And you are a jerk for posting this in this context.

roughster
A lot of times in the past, I've felt that you got an unnecessary thrashing on this board. This time I think you deserve it. Way to use a tragedy to push your own beliefs. As both a dog owner and a gun owner, this story sickens me. I just don't see how you can take this and turn it into another "I hate dogs" thread.

A 10mm handgun kicks pretty heavily. Bringing three shots onto a moving target is a feat even with a resting pulse. It requires taking aim three separate times. The warning shot obvoiusly frightened the dogs off otherwise the shooter would have been bitten. This is a case of excessive use of force, extremely poor judgement, 2nd degree murder, and backward hillbilly AZ law enforcement.

And tgreene,
I'm neither a brave nor reckless person, but if anyone was shooting at my dog, you can be damn sure that I would be running up to protect him, not hitting the ground cowering.

Partner mr8615

Post #60 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now that I read the article and that the guy was within a few yards of him throwing punches, I understand why it was necessary to kill him. Whenever I'm out somewhere and someone starts throwing punches, I usually kill them before they can hit me, too. I don't want anyone to mess up my face, so I just shoot them.

I seriously think that it's BS if this guy gets off. He is a murderer, he should be held accountable for his overreaction. I know if someone tried to shoot my dog, I would do whatever it took to stop them, and yes, they probably would have to shoot me to stop me. It's too bad this guy had a gun, if he didn't have it things would have turned out different. Maybe he would've gotten barked to death since the dogs didn't bite him even though he didn't have to kill them. Maybe he would've gotten punched in the face or something. No one needed to die here, no gun = he would've handled it differently, more calmly. A gun should be used as a last defense, this man should not be allowed to own or carry a gun after he has proven he cannot be trusted with one in a stressful situation.

sean34

Jun 1, 2004, 2:44 AM
Post #61 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never ever leave your dogs off the lease...too many ppl will kill em without blinking an eye.

This case is still being investigated and I hope our boy gets sent to juvey.

ryanpfleger

Jun 1, 2004, 2:45 AM
Post #62 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

jeffski was pretty honest, he gave the webaddress and everything, tgreene on the other hand...

In reply to:
The majority of firearms deaths are suicides.
Then we have police action shootings.
Then we have violent criminals.

FWIW: Drownings in swimming pools far outweigh the number of firearms related deaths each year.

29,000+ firearms deaths in the US in 2001
16,000+ suicides
323 legal interventions

That leaves approximately 13,000 people per year killed with guns that didn't want to die, and weren't shot by cops.

3,923 is the number of total drowning accidents in 2001 (including swimming pools, rivers, bathtubs, public urinals and everything else)

So, if you're going to "quote stats" tgreene, don't be like Rushbaugh and just pull them out of your a$$.

In reply to:
It should also be known that over 2,000,000 crimes are thwarted each year, by law abiding gun owners that use them to STOP crimes in progress.

Lets think about this. I don't have any stats that directly dispute it, but I am sure I can make a pretty good argument that this is another tgreene lie.

285,317,572 Americans alive in 2001.
So that is 1 crime per year stopped by a gun toting American for every 142 men, women and children alive.
39% of Americans live in a gun owning household. Lets just assume that only gun owners stop crimes with guns, probably not totally true, but I imagine pretty close statistically. It will more than even out because I am assuming that all Americans regardless of age or disability (from 3 month old babies to quadrapalegics) are capable of stopping crimes with their six shooters.
That makes 1 crime per year averted by Bubba and his Mossberg for every 55 living Americans.

So this statistic says that with an average life expectancy of 77.4 years in 2004, the average gun owning American will stop 1.4 criminals at gunpoint in his lifetime. Hmm, my wife and I own a gun, and if you put our ages together one of us should have used a gun to stop a crime by now. Come to think of it both of our families all own guns and none of them have done any crime averting at gunpoint... We both come from big Mormon families (Idaho ya know), so that makes like, wow had to take a moment to count us all up, 48 people including parents brothers, sisters,nieces and nephews and everyone (not including aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins however). Never heard of anyone talk about scaring off any robbers, murderers, rapists, or even Jehovah's Witnesses. Maybe your statistics are off, or my statistics are off, but either you're full of $hit, I am full of sh|t, or my entire family is one big statistical blackhole.

My stats are from:
http://webapp.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe
http://www.harrisinteractive.com/news/allnewsbydate.asp?NewsID=298

Ryan

roughster

Jun 1, 2004, 3:41 AM
Post #63 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, went off for a day with the family and look what happens!

The POINT of the story is this: Bad things can and do happen when people do not follow the laws appropriately governing the control and ownership of a dog. While some would focus on the gun involvement, I am more concerned with the fact that a pack, yes PACK of dogs was roaming a popular hiking trail unleashed and attacked someone who had no other motive than just simply being outside and enjoying nature.

Did the shooter over-react? CERTAINLY as I have said previously. Also, I have also said that he should have shot the dogs 1st IMO, but as also echo'd by others, can you really say how you would react with 3 dogs charging you, and despite asking them to be called off and firing a warning shot, the other person decides to try and run at you?

But that is truly secondary. How this relates to me is when I go climbing and see dogs out of control. Whats to say that the next time it isn't some wacko with a gun who is more than willing to use it when your dog starts rummaging through his pack? (And no I am not saying that I am that gun toting-wacko)

alpnclmbr1

Jun 1, 2004, 4:05 AM
Post #64 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is it worth your life? How many times has this situation been played out at the crags with agressive dogs that the owner swears, "He is always well behaved and has never done this before!" Whether or not the killing was justified, and I am not saying it is, it is a fact of life and the "killer" was acting in a manner consistant with his rights under the law.

The point seems to have changed.

ullr

Jun 1, 2004, 4:26 AM
Post #65 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it is a fact of life and the "killer" was acting in a manner consistant with his rights under the law.

BULLLLLLLSHI$%^#@&$!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is total crap. If he was in fear of his life, then shoot the dog! If you shoot the owner/handler, then who is going to call the supposed viscious dogs off? This pisses me off to no end. I wouldn't have a problem with it if he had gunned the dogs down, but to shoot a man three times in the chest? Too bad he didn't turn the gun on himself and blow his cranium to pieces, the dumb bastard.

In reply to:
Imagine you are just taking it easy and 3 dogs come up and start attacking you. You fire a warning shot, and then all of a sudden not only is it three dogs, but now a stranger is running at you yelling who knows what, and seems to also now be threatening you....

Yeah right, too bad we can't here the DEAD guys side of the story. Who wouldn't come up with this exaggerated 'fist clenching' bullcrap when you are in the hot seat in the sherriff's office.

In reply to:
i love Canada; you never come across people carring semi-automatic guns while hiking.

Guns don't kill people. Dumb asses with guns kill people. I won't trash Canada, I love climbing up there. You make me want to send a check to the NRA.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

dano

Jun 1, 2004, 5:07 AM
Post #66 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't even understand this thread anymore...

coupla dumbasses who don't know shit about dogs talking about how they'd kill any dog that came running at them...

coupla other dumbasses (self included) pushing the 'why was there a gun' angle...

and roughster seemed to just be trying to incite something....

... i give up

timmah

Jun 1, 2004, 5:32 AM
Post #67 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am sure that everyone reading that can say with 100% confidence that they would say, "Excuse me sir, but could you please call off your dogs that are attacking me?" Right???

But God Damn, you don't have to shoot the fellow! That's murder, plain simple. What the f#$k was the guy doing with a gun anyhow?? Carry a stick, if you must, even a big one. That way, next time you get scared, someone ends up with a couple of bruises - not DEAD.

mrtropy

Jun 1, 2004, 5:47 AM
Post #68 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for posting this. Dog owners, of which I am one, need to take responsibity of their animals. The only thing I would would have done different would have been to gut shot the guy and then killed the dogs so he could watch them die first. He had it coming to him and I shed no tears. Why did the jerk attack the man who was defending himself. If my dog ever attacks anyone without justifacation feel free to shoot it and I will apolgize for my dog attacking you. Hey Roughster good job on your iron man and I know ......

roughster

Jun 1, 2004, 5:50 AM
Post #69 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I am sure that everyone reading that can say with 100% confidence that they would say, "Excuse me sir, but could you please call off your dogs that are attacking me?" Right???

But God Damn, you don't have to shoot the fellow! That's murder, plain simple. What the f#$k was the guy doing with a gun anyhow?? Carry a stick, if you must, even a big one. That way, next time you get scared, someone ends up with a couple of bruises - not DEAD.

Tell that to Dianne Whipple. Who's to say that if a gun wouldn't have been involved the story would have ended much differently? Say perhaps in a fatal dog mauling? What, Dog Bites Don't Happen????

Not only did the shooter have a permit, he was carrying it legally in the state of AZ. If you want to ask why, ask the AZ legislature.

If I am an ass for bringing this up, and if just one dog owner comes to realization that letting their dogs off their leashes where they shouldn't be is not a good idea, then I'll accept that. I have seen dogs bite kids and adults at the crags several times. You think that people packing heat at the crag is far fetched? LOL, you have no idea! Hang out around the dirt pit at Rifle for awhile and hear the stories....

alpnclmbr1

Jun 1, 2004, 5:58 AM
Post #70 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How is this incident related to rock climbing?

roughster

Jun 1, 2004, 5:59 AM
Post #71 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How is this incident related to rock climbing?

What part of:

In reply to:
If I am an ass for bringing this up, and if just one dog owner comes to realization that letting their dogs off their leashes where they shouldn't be is not a good idea, then I'll accept that. I have seen dogs bite kids and adults at the crags several times. You think that people packing heat at the crag is far fetched? LOL, you have no idea! Hang out around the dirt pit at Rifle for awhile and hear the stories....

...did you not understand. Go to any popular crag and witness the # of dogs in the area, then ask yourself how this relates to climbing...

alpnclmbr1

Jun 1, 2004, 6:11 AM
Post #72 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friggin idiot shoots someone and that is related to dogs at a crag? In what way?

Are you seriously maintaining that climbers should take gun toting idiots into account when they make plans to go climbing?

You are, aren't you. That is wild.

roughster

Jun 1, 2004, 6:18 AM
Post #73 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A friggin idiot shoots someone and that is related to dogs at a crag? In what way?

Are you seriously maintaining that climbers should take gun toting idiots into account when they make plans to go climbing?

You are, aren't you. That is wild.

Man, you just don;t get it do you? Have you been to the Happy's in the last 5 years? Have you been to Rifle? The # of dogs at the crags is ridiculous and the number of dog "problems/encounters" only grows every day. The other day I went climbing at an area that has a HUGE sign with a dog and a big red circle with a slash through clearly indicating that DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED, and too boot, this area is access sensitive, is frequented reguarly by horseback riders, and guess what I saw when I got there?

Not just one, but two parties with dogs :( This is just downright unacceptable IMO. Does that mean that I am "looking for a fight" as it is related to dogs... maybe..... But certainly I would say it is with due cause not over zealous persecution of the average dog owner. Read that "Dog Bites" link I posted above and think about how many go unreported?

Dog bites are just one of the issues. Access cocnerns specifically related to climbers are impacted by climbers who own dogs and could care less about their impacts effect each and everyone of us. When the public perception is that climbers are analagous to irresponsible dog owners who could care less for local laws and public saftey, I have a problem with that.

AND it is very much climbing related...

rradjc

Jun 1, 2004, 6:25 AM
Post #74 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do agree with alpnclmbr1, the old man needs to be tried for homocide. I've already signed that petition. Whether the dogs attacked attacked him or not, he should have shot the attackers, not the owner. Whether there is some personal motive for you to post this, I've no idea.

alpnclmbr1

Jun 1, 2004, 6:28 AM
Post #75 of 191 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is related to climbing

In reply to:
Man, you just don;t get it do you? Have you been to the Happy's in the last 5 years? Have you been to Rifle? The # of dogs at the crags is ridiculous and the number of dog "problems/encounters" only grows every day. The other day I went climbing at an area that has a HUGE sign with a dog and a big red circle with a slash through clearly indicating that DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED, and too boot, this area is access sensitive, is frequented reguarly by horseback riders, and guess what I saw when I got there?

Not just one, but two parties with dogs :( This is just downright unacceptable IMO. Does that mean that I am "looking for a fight" as it is related to dogs... maybe..... But certainly I would say it is with due cause not over zealous persecution of the average dog owner. Read that "Dog Bites" link I posted above and think about how many go unreported?

Dog bites are just one of the issues. Access cocnerns specifically related to climbers are impacted by climbers who own dogs and could care less about their impacts effect each and everyone of us. When the public perception is that climbers are analagous to irresponsible dog owners who could care less for local laws and public saftey, I have a problem with that.

this is not

In reply to:
Shooting of dog-walker called justified

Grant Kuenzli (shown with his Labrador retriever, Maggie) was killed May 11 on a forest trail north of Payson.

Payson-area trail death deemed self-defense

Peter Corbett
The Arizona Republic
May. 22, 2004 12:00 AM

It was a common Arizona hiking confrontation: big, unleashed dogs on a trail, turning a peaceful walk in the woods into a frightening ordeal of snarling teeth and vicious barking.

Usually it is settled with words, sometimes angry. This time it turned deadly.

Coconino County sheriff's detectives say the shooting of 43-year-old Grant Kuenzli was a justifiable homicide. But the victim's friends say he was a peaceful man who had volunteered to take a couple of dogs from an animal shelter out for exercise and didn't deserve to die.

The encounter occurred 11 days ago near Payson, when Kuenzli was hiking through the woods on the Pine Canyon Trail with his dog, a yellow Labrador retriever named Maggie, and two other dogs, a chow and a German shepherd mix.

The dogs, which were not on leashes, ran ahead and apparently startled Harold Fish, a 57-year-old retiree from Phoenix, according to sheriff's Detective Scott Feagan.

Fish, who was carrying a 10mm semiautomatic pistol in a holster, felt threatened, Feagan said, and fired a warning shot into the ground near the dogs and then three shots at Kuenzli, all of which hit him in the chest.

"Our investigation leads us to believe this is a situation of self-defense," Feagan said. "(Fish) was under attack."

Fish could not be reached for comment. There were no other witnesses.

Payson retiree John McCauley, 73, who befriended Kuenzli at Payson's dog park, described him as "a very gentle person" who loved dogs and the outdoors.

McCauley and others in Payson who knew Kuenzli said it does not add up that he and his dogs would have been a threat to another hiker.

Feagan related Fish's account of the shooting:

Kuenzli's barking dogs charged at Fish, who yelled at Kuenzli to call them off. Fish fired a warning shot when the lead dog, the chow, was within 6 feet of him.

Fish looked up and saw Kuenzli running down the hill, fists clenched, and yelling at him. He warned him to stop. Kuenzli charged forward. Fish shot him three times.

Fish then hiked out and flagged down a passer-by to alert the Sheriff's Department. Kuenzli was dead when the paramedics arrive.

Fish had no wounds from the dogs.

Both Kuenzli and Fish were each about 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighed close to 200 pounds.

Feagan said the chow that charged Fish has a documented history of aggression.

That is disputed by Larry Stubbs, Payson Humane Society president.

Kuenzli, who volunteered at the Payson shelter, had taken the chow and shepherd out for a hike with Maggie, a therapy dog that he took to senior centers.

Stubbs, a retired Phoenix police officer, said the shelter would have euthanized either dog if it was vicious.

He said the Sheriff's Department had not contacted him.

McCauley said he believes that Kuenzli probably yelled at Fish not to kill his dogs.

"I don't think the guy who shot him was doing anything malicious," McCauley said.

"I just think he overreacted."

William Boa, a Mesa police volunteer for 14 years and a gun instructor, said a dog could be considered a lethal weapon.

"The question is: Are you in fear of your life and did you take a reasonable action?" said Boa, who teaches a concealed-weapons permit course.

Fish had a permit but was carrying his pistol openly, which is legal in Arizona.

A warning shot might indicate that Fish had time to flee, Boa said.

"Personally, I would have shot the dog first," he said.

Although detectives say the shooting appears to have been justified, they do intend to present the case to a Coconino County grand jury.

It will be several weeks before any results are known.

McCauley said he is concerned that Kuenzli will be portrayed to a grand jury as homeless and a "loose cannon."

Kuenzli was living in the woods near Payson, but he showered and shaved every day and was well-adjusted, McCauley said.

He worked as a fire inspector for the Gilbert Fire Department from July 1998 to April 1999.

Kuenzli also had a Web site listing himself as a pet photographer and appeared on an Internet listing of Arizonans for Howard Dean.

"He had plenty of money, a bank account and a $1,000 check on him when he was killed," McCauley said.

Stubbs, of the Payson Humane Society, said people in Payson are wondering how the shooting could have happened.

"He was such mild-mannered guy, they can't understand it," Stubbs said.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook