Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

beesty511

Jun 3, 2004, 1:26 AM
Post #126 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Re: thats supposed to be bomber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:roll:

hugepedro

Jun 3, 2004, 6:06 AM
Post #127 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Now I could be wrong here, but it looks to me that in this situation, you're rope is bomber, your biner is bomber, harness, sling... all bomber... but your cam is still not bomber..

Yeah, which is why I said:

"if you're finding yourself exposed to possible factor 2 falls on a single micro cam, you might want to rethink what you're doing."

Why would you ever take a fall approaching factor 2 on a single micro cam?

P.S. check out the kn rating on a #3 wired nut. 5kn.

It is very possible. For instance, lets say you are aid climbing on some C3 pitch, and you take a daisy fall onto the tiny cam below you. Thiscould easily happen if you are not super carefull, and even if you are super carefull.

I think most of those very small pieces with low ratings are intended to be used primarily for bodyweight aid climbing placements. And many come with warnings that say something to that effect.

lambone,
We are in agreement. Nobody with any sort of brain expects tiny gear to hold FF2 falls, which is what I tried to get across to bigga in 3 posts - unsuccessfully. I don't trust that stuff in .5 FF falls. Nobody expects it to hold high FF, so we don't put ourselves in that situation - we understand the limitations of our gear and we make placements and rig our system accordingly. I have complete confidence when I place micro gear because I place it in appropriate situations (low FF), or I place multiple and equalize, or I accept the risk and move on. If you put yourself in a situation where you're falling on a daisy, you realize the risk, right? And you either accept it or you do something to change it. (Falling on a daisy can cause a lot of things to fail, probably including you.)

The hilarity of this thread (aside from the fall duration argument, which was entertaining), is that this character bigga claims to be designing gear that will be better than small cams. This from someone who obviously doesn't know a thing about placing gear.

In reply to:
When you say placement, do you mean the quality of the crack you are placing the protection in? ie angle, tapering etc?
In reply to:
(and I dont trad)

This is either the best troll ever or someone's elevator doesn't quite reach the top floor.

papounet

Jun 3, 2004, 9:36 AM
Post #128 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As for gear failures in soft rock involving tracking, I don't think that the longer time involved in bigger falls with the same fall factor is an issue, because my understanding of the tracking phenomena is different, and I do know that, as mentioned, there is no peak force acting longer.

Here's what I think happens with tracking. There is a tracking threshold for the placement, i.e. the force at which tracking begins. I am going to assume for simplicity that this force remains approximately constant once tracking has begun. So what happens in a tracking failure is that the rope elongates until the tension creates a force on the piece equal to the tracking threshold. Once tracking begins, there is no further rope elongation; the rope tension remains at the level needed to initiate tracking. Energy absorbtion changes from rope elongation to the work needed to track the cam through the rock, a straight (force) X (distance) calculation if the tracking threshold is really constant. What you have, in effect, is a screamer, with tracking resistance replacing stitch ripping. Whether or not the piece fails depends on whether or not the work done in dragging it to the lip of the crack, when added to the energy absorbed by rope stretching up to the tracking threshold elongation, equals the potential energy of the fall.

Although I don't find validity in the time argument, I do agree, from the perspective of the analysis just given, that a big fall with a given fall factor is more likely to cause a tracking failure than a small fall with the same fall factor. This is because rope elongation up to the tracking threshold plus work done in tracking represents a fixed quantity of energy absorbed, whereas the bigger fall (with same fall factor) does have more potential energy to be absorbed. (The fact that there is more rope to absorb this additional energy does not intervene here because energy absorbtion has been switched to the tracking mechanism before the rope could do its job.) Thus the fall does not end with the tracking inside the crack and the piece blows. Note that the longer elongation time for the rope occurs before tracking begins and so has nothing to do with the ultimate failure of the piece.

Nice explanation. 2 remarks though:
a/ Depending on the rock characteristics and inertia of the whole system, once the tracking has begun, it may not be necessary to have the same
force applied to continue grooving. Although it is plausible ot postulate that the failure occurs during the ramp up toward peak force.
b/ as soon as the piece starts grooving (yeah, baby, yeah), the energy absorption is done in parallel by the grooving and the rope; the rope continues to do its job but has less to do.

to adress tedc question
In reply to:
Also, how would you say a longer fall applies to the sequencial ripping of pieces in a 3 (or more) piece semi-equalized (cordalette) anchor. (Or does it?)

there has been long debates and some formulae requarding the effect of psychological protection blown during a fall
http://groups.google.com/...alum.mit.edu&rnum=26

my take-out of Tom Moyer's explanation is that:
if the piece #0 pulls without having dissipated any energy, the only energy absorbed will have been absorded by the streching of the rope, if the other placements are nearby (semi-equalized anchor), the rope will load the other piece without having had the time to retract and recover some ability to absord energy, so the second piece will see the same force
my interpretation is that
if the piece #0 pulls after having dissipated some energy (by deforming metal, destroying rock or ripping stiches), the next piece will be shockloaded with the instant tension of the rope, but will in the end see a lower maximum force as the rope will have to dissipate less energy.

papounet

Jun 3, 2004, 9:51 AM
Post #129 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Could you please apply your analysis to the case where the belayer is "peter pan'ed" higher off the belay due to a longer fall of same FF.

I like the image of a "peter pan'ed" belayer.

Dear Ted,
Have a second look at the 2 graphs posted earlier from the CMT research at Padova and read the reports. You'll see that the phenomenons are complex, noticeably because of inertia.
In short, contrary to some beliefs, a jumping belay doesn't diminish hte force on the the top piece but slipping ropes in a device does !!!

It could be that the belayer is lifted higher with a longer fall of same FF., but is doesn't matter for helping a piece stay.

alpnclmbr1

Jun 3, 2004, 2:43 PM
Post #130 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Papounet,

Why do I disagree with you so much? Why are so many of the conclusions you come to and data that you offer to support them, completely contrary to the bulk of information I have read? Strange, as you seem to be reasonably intelligent.

I don't have time right now to go issue by issue, maybe later.

tedc

Jun 3, 2004, 3:11 PM
Post #131 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

to adress tedc question
In reply to:
Also, how would you say a longer fall applies to the sequencial ripping of pieces in a 3 (or more) piece semi-equalized (cordalette) anchor. (Or does it?)

If you say you are going to address my question then address it. Your text does not refer to the differing effects of a long and short fall and that is the (hijacked) subject of this thread.

Partner rgold

Jun 3, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #132 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Could you please apply your analysis to the case where the belayer is "peter pan'ed" higher off the belay due to a longer fall of same FF.

The analysis is essentially the same as for a screamer or tracking, so I'm going to try to speak in general terms about such things.

Consider the following generic situation: during a fall, the rope stretches until some threshold tension is reached, after which the energy absorbtion mechanism switches to one that involves working against a constant resistance for some distance. When this happens, rope tension does not change, remaining at the constant resistance value for as long as the second mechanism is in effect.

In the case of a screamer, the threshold tension is whatever is needed (after considering the pulley effect) to activate the screamer. In the case of gear tracking in soft rock, the threshold tension is what is needed to overcome the tracking threshold I made up in my previous post. In the case of an (involuntary) dynamic belay, the threshold tension is the tension that initiates rope slippage in the belay device. In the case of belayer Peter Pannage, the threshold tension (at the belayer's end of the rope) is equal to the belayer's weight.

In the case of belayer flight, the combination of belayer weight and friction in the system must provide more resistance than the weight of the faller, otherwise there will be no net reduction in the faller's potential energy. This is one case when friction in the system really matters. (Frequently, there is so much friction that the belayer can't be lifted unless he or she jumps.) The amount of the faller's potential energy that is absorbed by lifting the belayer is, of course, (leader's end lifting force) X (belayer flight distance). Lifting begins when rope stretch develops the lifting force at the leader's end.

My previous statement about the role of the rope in absorbing fall energy up to the threshold value should be worded more accurately: The way in which the elasticity - H/L ratio principles work is that, in stretching up to the level need to produce the threshold tension, the rope will always absorb the same proportion of the total energy required for the rope alone to completely stop the fall. So, for example, if the rope absorbs 90% of the fall energy before the belayer is lifted for a given fall, it will absorb 90% of the fall energy for any other fall with the same H/L ratio. This leaves the remaining 10% to be absorbed by the constant resistance mechanism. But the constant resistance mechanism isn't "scalable," if the fall is twice as long (with twice as much rope out), then the remaining 10% of the fall energy is twice as much (10% of 2E is 2 X 10%E) and the belayer will have to be lifted twice as high in order to do the appropriate amount of work.

In reply to:

Well, if there is a tracking phenomenon, e. g. an anchor in soft rock, then a long fall onto a distributed (cordalette style) anchor might extract pieces that wouldn't be extracted by a shorter fall with the same fall factor. Without a significant tracking effect(*), I don't offhand see any difference between long and short falls with the same fall factor. The fact that extracting pieces contributes (usually in a disappointingly minor way) to a reduction in the ultimate load on the remaining pieces does not seem to me to be altered by the size of the fall and in some sense is not even influenced by the fall factor.

(*) I'm waffling here and assuming an instantaneous failure during which no significant work, other than that done in stretching the rope to produce the extraction threshold tension occurs. This seems reasonable to me, but I have no idea whether it is, in fact, accurate.

paulraphael

Jun 3, 2004, 4:23 PM
Post #133 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

<<(*) I'm waffling here and assuming an instantaneous failure during which no significant work, other than that done in stretching the rope to produce the extraction threshold tension occurs. This seems reasonable to me, but I have no idea whether it is, in fact, accurate.>>

since we obviously need something new to chat about, has anyone seen data on how much energy is absorbed by the (near) instantaneous failure of a piece? the assumption always seems to be that it's close to zero, but intuitively this seems strange. there must be a measureable (and i'd think significant) amount of energy used up in snapping a cable rated to 10kn--just like a bullet blasting through a wall loses a lot of energy.

thoughts? flames?

Partner rgold

Jun 3, 2004, 5:01 PM
Post #134 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
there must be a measureable (and i'd think significant) amount of energy used up in snapping a cable rated to 10kn

Since the cable breaks, atoms and/or molecules have to be separated, and this takes work. Presumably, this requires the 10 kN of force to act over the extremely small distance involved in the required atomic/molecular separations that leads to breakage. The trouble is that the distance is so tiny that the work done, i.e. the energy required, is negligible in ordinary macro terms.

Given that the breaking force has to act over distances on the atomic scale, it doesn't seem strange to me that very little energy would be associated with breakage. Perhaps the challenge to intuition comes from the fact that you might have to expend quite a bit of energy to "manufacture" the necessary 10 kN breaking force.

alpnclmbr1

Jun 3, 2004, 5:16 PM
Post #135 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are two question that have been indirectly reference in a few of the posts.

1)
What are the relative mechanisms and pro and cons of using a jumping(or getting lifted) dynamic belay versus purposely letting rope slide through the belay device?

2)
How does the theoretical fall factor force compare to the real world fall factor force for any given fall?

edit to add

How significant of a difference is there between a ff 1.78 and a ff2?

tradklime

Jun 3, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #136 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Missed several points:
1. a fall with ff 2.0 will not generate 12 kn , rather 10 kn with a modern rope in (very) good condition. the 12 kn is the maximum limit stated by the UIAA standard.
2. if you do not have any carabiner acting as a pulley in your system, the anchor onto which you have affixed the belay system will see the total force of the fall 10kn.
3. if you have setup a draw on the anchor, by virtue of the friction on the biner, the force seen by the belayer side is ~= 60%, the force seen by the anchor is ( 100% +60% ) the force felt by the climber = 16 kn

This then would imply that redirecting the belay is much less safe, ie. when a climber is close to the anchor it is better to catch them directly than to redirect the rope through the anchor.

If the rope is redirected, wouldn't the fall factor be less than 2?

alpnclmbr1

Jun 3, 2004, 5:57 PM
Post #137 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Missed several points:
1. a fall with ff 2.0 will not generate 12 kn , rather 10 kn with a modern rope in (very) good condition. the 12 kn is the maximum limit stated by the UIAA standard.
2. if you do not have any carabiner acting as a pulley in your system, the anchor onto which you have affixed the belay system will see the total force of the fall 10kn.
3. if you have setup a draw on the anchor, by virtue of the friction on the biner, the force seen by the belayer side is ~= 60%, the force seen by the anchor is ( 100% +60% ) the force felt by the climber = 16 kn

1. This assumes that there is no difference between a 1.78 and a 2. Also the 12kn limit applies to a 1.78 fall. this means it could go higher in a ff2 and still pass the test

2. only if the rope is tied directly to the anchor

3.edit

paulraphael

Jun 3, 2004, 9:13 PM
Post #138 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

<>

Makes a lot of sense.

Another broad question that I don't remember seeing covered here:

How much energy is likely to be absorbed by the dynamics (rope slip) of a belay device?

There's obviously no simple answer, since the amount is dependent on the variables of the rest of the system, as well as the nature of the particular device/rope/belayer. A couple of years ago Chris Harmston emailed me some results of internal tests of the ATC--basically showed how much braking force the atc exerted on different rope diameters (with a fixed amount of force on the brake hand end of the rope).

I don't have the list anymore (and Black Diamond never published it out of fear that people would draw overly simplistic conclusions. Who, us??) but it was surprising how low the forces were. In the range of 300 to 600lbs. Which would suggest a LOT of rope slip (and therefore a lot of energy dissipation, and possibly a lot of rope burn) on any kind of fall capable of generating multi-kilonewton forces at the anchor. It also makes it hard to understand how, without a truly static belay, it's even possible to generate huge forces.

This may be part of the reason real world forces tend to stay low--Harmston also said that he's never seen a piece of pro rated at 10kn or more that had failed.

Any thoughts?

papounet

Jun 4, 2004, 8:34 AM
Post #139 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Missed several points:

1. This assumes that there is no difference between a 1.78 and a 2. Also the 12kn limit applies to a 1.78 fall. this means it could go higher in a ff2 and still pass the test

2. only if the rope is tied directly to the anchor

3.edit

dear alpnclmbr1
I believe I now see where we do not agree

on point 1. I based my statements on my earlier post (bad form ?)
In reply to:
I believe it is possible to extrapolate the maximum force inflicted to the dummy for a ff 2.0 either from the modulus of the rope given by the static elongation or from the modulus given by the test at ff1.78.
The issue: we get 2 different values,

Nonetheless, using the second formula, a rope that inflict 10 kn in a ff 1.78 can be predicted to inflict 10.5 kn in ff 2.0
I did the math in excel , then found the calculator at http://toad.stack.nl/~stilgar/calc.php

I found that the modulus of a rope that deliver 10kn at ff 1.78 to be ~= 30
applying to to ff2.0 is straightfoward and gives 10.5. kn.
A barely standard rope that delivers 12kn at ff 1.78 has a modulus ~= 45 would deliver 12.5 kn at ff 2.

on point 2. indeed, and it makes me scratch my head everytime.

edit: here is one of my source http://www.losalamos.org/climb/xRopes.pdf

papounet

Jun 4, 2004, 9:25 AM
Post #140 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you say you are going to address my question then address it. Your text does not refer to the differing effects of a long and short fall and that is the (hijacked) subject of this thread.

It seems that I have misunderstood your question .
My initial understanding of your question is "does the sequential ripping of piece in a muli-piece semi-equalized anchor IMPACT ON the duration of the fall or the force felt by the surviving piece(s) ?" (emphasis mine)
whereas your question more inline with the (hijacked) subject could rather be like "does a longer fall with same ff has more chance of ripping sequentialy the pieces of a pseudo-equalized anchor ?"

If so, please accept my apologies.
(if still wrong , please help me by clarifying your question).

If it is indeed your question, Rgold said it very well
In reply to:

The primary source of work is the work done in stretching the rope, but there is also the work done against frictional forces (which can be highly significant in the case of a dynamic belay), perhaps work done in elongating a screamer, and in the case of soft rock, the work done in dragging a piece through a yielding medium.

If the potential energy of the fall is dissipated by the destruction of the rock and/or gear instead of the elongation of the rope, a longer fall will destroy more of rock and/or gear, thus having more chance of failure, and shockloading the remaining piece with the current tension of the rope.

The sequential ripping of pieces may protect the final pieces if it bleeds energy from the system through work. If they pop out, nothing happens.

This begs the question: does the strength rating of a piece of gear (such as RP= 4kn) has anything to do with the energy it would substract from the system by blowing (acting as a fuse) ?.

papounet

Jun 4, 2004, 10:58 AM
Post #141 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here are two question that have been indirectly reference in a few of the posts.

1)
What are the relative mechanisms and pro and cons of using a jumping(or getting lifted) dynamic belay versus purposely letting rope slide through the belay device?

2)
How does the theoretical fall factor force compare to the real world fall factor force for any given fall?

edit to add

dear alpnclbr1

thanks to your very good idea of collecting rgold contribution in http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=62477, I found that before I could write up anything remotely clear, rgold did it

In reply to:
I'll take a shot at it. In principle, the load on the top piece depends on the famous H/L ratio; H=total length of fall (before rope stretch) and L= amount of rope from leader to belayer. However extensive research and mathematical modelling by the Italian Alpine Club suggest what a lot of people suspected---the total length of rope involved is, in practice, less than the amount from leader to belayer because friction against carabiners and against the rock prevents the full length of available rope from responding to the forces at the top biner. This means that with the real-life L smaller, the ratio H/L is bigger and the tension developed in the rope at the top biner is higher than one would expect from the classical H/L calculation.

The italian report, he pointed at is the one I indicated (page 6 of this thread) from the CMT relating their test at Padova.
http://www.caimateriali.org/...o/computermodel.html

My take is that one one hand, the friction developped in the various biners limits the amount of rope available for streching (=> higher ff), and the other hand the same friction is energy bleed from the system.

regarding lifting, the CMT said
"It can be noted that the belayer’s lift at the maximum safety load instant (roughly 0.2 sec) is very little: this is somewhere in contrast with the current believing of the climbing world.
In fact it is a common belief that the belayer’s lifting reduces the safety chain loads.
Actually it is the low braking force generated by the belayer the true origin of the low load of the harness belaying technique also according to the tests: the low inertial force is due to the small mass involved in the braking action typical of this type of braking."

my Italian is far too bad to attempt to read the article on belaying techniques.
http://www.caimateriali.org/...odiAssicurazione.PDF
but I gather you would find a lot in it

Due to the risks of belayers jumping into the face in order to "soften" the fall", I prefer to stay firmly planted and attempt to let a few cm of rope slip

edited to add URL tags

jt512

Jun 4, 2004, 4:04 PM
Post #142 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"It can be noted that the belayer's lift at the maximum safety load instant (roughly 0.2 sec) is very little: this is somewhere in contrast with the current believing of the climbing world.
In fact it is a common belief that the belayer's lifting reduces the safety chain loads.
Actually it is the low braking force generated by the belayer the true origin of the low load of the harness belaying technique also according to the tests: the low inertial force is due to the small mass involved in the braking action typical of this type of braking."

I think you are misinterpreting this. In the experiment, as far as I can tell, the belayers did not intentionally jump, but were passively lifted. An intentional, well-timed jump increases the time over which the energy of the fall is absorbed and therefore decreases the impact force on the climber and the anchor.

In reply to:
Due to the risks of belayers jumping into the face in order to "soften" the fall", I prefer to stay firmly planted and attempt to let a few cm of rope slip

Nobody jumps into the face. You are speaking from ignorance.

-Jay

alpnclmbr1

Jun 4, 2004, 4:29 PM
Post #143 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

1)

2)

edit to add

dear alpnclbr1

thanks to your very good idea of collecting rgold contribution in http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=62477, I found that before I could write up anything remotely clear, rgold did it

Actually, those questions were derived from problems I had with your posts. Writing the questions directed towards rgold inspired me to see if he already answered them. He had and the end result was the rgold collection. So in a sense, you get credit for that.

=-=-=-=-=

I actually haven't completely read the torino link, I will, thanks.

Here are some sites I use for reference.(all of them have problems of one sort or another)

Impact force from beal/torino
http://www.impact-force.info/anglais/impact.html

REI belay device tests
http://www.somat.com/...ons/articles/rei.htm

Forces on the Falling Climber Depending on Different Belaying Techniques

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/...mb99/wnachbauer1.htm

Rope System Analysis
http://www.wsystem.com.br/.../Download/xRopes.pdf

forces in a lead fall
http://www.uoregon.edu/...orcesinleadfalls.pdf

An Elastic Model of the Holding Power of
Spring Loaded Camming Devices
Used as Rock Climbing Anchors
http://www.mit.edu/.../cams/cams.body.html

bigga

Jun 6, 2004, 6:18 AM
Post #144 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hoowa,
I went to the army for a week, come back and find the thread has born 3 more pages. took me a while to read everything up to date.
1 at a time.

Hugepedro : Don't use it. What do I care. Here's the thing see... I've done a ( pretty rugged I'll admit but still a) test and the thing works, has a range starting much lower and going much higher than todays little cams, and can hold (whatever the arguments have been on this thread) a much higher force. But if you insist, if I or someone else ever manage to get this out, I'll put some sign on it so that you'll know to avoid it :lol:

ic2d : Thanks for the info. Actualy, I was portraying the force as being double to make the physics of it a bit more obvious, but you are right that it is not double. It is actually *1.66. At least according to the information I've read so far, . Even if ropes have come a long way in past few years (which was, by the way a good point, whoever made it) and my info may be a few years old, it only means I'm looking at larger forces than I should which is fine by me. I'd rather err on the side of safety anyway, and so have been using 25kN as a model regardless.

Anyway, I'm going back into the army again soon for a bit and then exams... so I just wanted to thank all you guys for your help and input. For all you boykies who seem a bit sour... this is just fun... if it works and gets to climbers then great for everyone ( I would think), if not, so what? I (at least) learned quite a bit, had some fun, did somegood excersises for my degree and lost nothing. So Relax and lighten up.

Thanks again
Allon

papounet

Jun 7, 2004, 12:39 PM
Post #145 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
"It can be noted that the belayer's lift at the maximum safety load instant (roughly 0.2 sec) is very little: this is somewhere in contrast with the current believing of the climbing world.
In fact it is a common belief that the belayer's lifting reduces the safety chain loads.

I think you are misinterpreting this. In the experiment, as far as I can tell, the belayers did not intentionally jump, but were passively lifted. An intentional, well-timed jump increases the time over which the energy of the fall is absorbed and therefore decreases the impact force on the climber and the anchor.

In reply to:

Nobody jumps into the face. You are speaking from ignorance.

-Jay

I may have "over-interpreted" from the CMT article (rereading myself, I would like to have it written in a different fashion).

Your point "An intentional, well-timed jump increases the time over which the energy of the fall is absorbed and therefore decreases the impact force on the climber and the anchor. "
doesn't make physics sense to me.

I would on the other hand agree on
An intentional, well-timed jump decreases the inertia of the complete braking system, decreases momentarily the friction on the top biner, thus allowing the lifting of the counterweight to occur, increases the amount of rope sliding against friction in all intermediate biners. The additional mechanical work and additional transformation into heat bleeds the fall energy. This combined with the additionnal lenght of rope involved in absorbing the fall thus decreases the impact force on the climber and the anchor.

The interplay of several mechanisms instead of just the rope streching means that the fall last longer, but it is not the increased duration that decreases the impact force.

Ps: No one I know volontarily jump into the rockface, but I have seen quite a few time a tiny gf fly up to the first bolt when belaying a (heavy) friend of mine. Oh dear, I wrote about bolts, now I will be called a sport wannabee.... :roll:

Dynamic "jump" belay seems much more practical for good stances on the ground.
In a multiple pitch hanging belay or in snow/ice, I do not see myself attempting to soften a fall by jumping; letting ropes slip seems more practical.

The data at "Forces on the Falling Climber Depending on Different Belaying Techniques were computed for low ff =0.375 and with limited runs.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/...mb99/wnachbauer1.htm they always seem strange as the force with dynamic belay and HMS are reported higher than dynamic belay with grigri. As far as I recollect, the HMS should give a lower force than a grigri when handled without jump. Could it be that the jump cause the belayer to forego letting the rope slip and thus cancel the benefit of the HMS ?

papounet

Jun 7, 2004, 1:11 PM
Post #146 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So in a sense, you get credit for that.
:lol: :lol:

thanks,...

I didn't know about the REI and I had forgottent about a few of the others..

The petzl simulator
http://www.petzl.com/...5&SousFamille=&News=
is actually quite complete. It includes the strength of the belay computation a well as takes into account the device used for belaying.
(PS: to use it with running belay, start with entering first the running belay 3 closest to the belay , then running belay 2 , then running belay 1, closest to the climber).

jt512

Jun 7, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #147 of 147 (10345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Your point "An intentional, well-timed jump increases the time over which the energy of the fall is absorbed and therefore decreases the impact force on the climber and the anchor. "
doesn't make physics sense to me.

I would on the other hand agree on
An intentional, well-timed jump decreases the inertia of the complete braking system, decreases momentarily the friction on the top biner, thus allowing the lifting of the counterweight to occur, increases the amount of rope sliding against friction in all intermediate biners. The additional mechanical work and additional transformation into heat bleeds the fall energy. This combined with the additionnal lenght of rope involved in absorbing the fall thus decreases the impact force on the climber and the anchor. The interplay of several mechanisms instead of just the rope streching means that the fall last longer, but it is not the increased duration that decreases the impact force.

WTF?

F = ma
F = m(dv/dt)

The method of belaying doesn't change m or dv, so as dt increases, F decreases.

In reply to:
Ps: No one I know volontarily jump into the rockface, but I have seen quite a few time a tiny gf fly up to the first bolt when belaying a (heavy) friend of mine.

A competent belayer would know not to jump if she was substantially outweighed by her partner.

In reply to:
Dynamic "jump" belay seems much more practical for good stances on the ground. In a multiple pitch hanging belay or in snow/ice, I do not see myself attempting to soften a fall by jumping; letting ropes slip seems more practical.

No argument here.

In reply to:
The data at "Forces on the Falling Climber Depending on Different Belaying Techniques were computed for low ff =0.375 and with limited runs.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/sports_science/abstracts/climb99/wnachbauer1.htm they always seem strange as the force with dynamic belay and HMS are reported higher than dynamic belay with grigri....Could it be that the jump cause the belayer to forego letting the rope slip and thus cancel the benefit of the HMS ?

I doubt it. The report compares a "jump" belay with a grigri to a "dynamic" belay with an HMS carabiner. This wording suggests that the dynamic belay with the HMS carabiner was effected by allowing rope to slip, not by jumping. The most straightforward interpretation is that jumping with a grigri reduces the impact forces by a significantly greater amount than does letting rope slip through a Munter hitch.

-Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook