RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

funk29

Apr 26, 2002, 7:18 PM
Post #1 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On the way home from a two day, winter storm assent of “Days of No Future” in Zion, my partner, breaks our conversation about females, and states,

“Gear-heads climb so the can use their gear. Climbers, us their gear to climb.”

I thought about what he said, and assessed my climbing experiences verses the gear I own. I have more experience and less gear. For example I have a dozen cams, a few pins and a hammer. A lot of witch I bought used, or I acquired as “booty” from routes.

I am saddened to see brand new, triple sets of cams hanging from their owners, like a trophy they didnt win.

During my short time climbing walls, I have seen a lot of “climbers” bailing on the on various routes in Zion’s. My conclusion is that these "climbers" are putting the emphasis else where, and not on climbing.

Sincerely,
m. Barley

[ This Message was edited by: funk29 on 2002-04-26 12:30 ]

kelv^
Deleted

Apr 26, 2002, 7:33 PM
Post #2 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't think that all gear heads are into climbing because of gear..i'm a gear head myself but i'm so into climbing regardless of whether gear is involved or not

natec

Apr 26, 2002, 9:45 PM
Post #3 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to disagree with you. I am a hardcore gearhead.

Sometimes the problem with gearheads is not that they place more emphasis elsewhere, its just that they don't have as much opportunity to climb as they do gear.

I worked at an outfitter for 6 months. In that time I bought any and every piece of gear I ever remotely thought I would use. I did this because it was cheap then, and I knew that I wouldn't be working there forever.

Most of my gear is still shiny and pretty new. This has to do largely with the fact that the nearest area to trad climb is 4 hrs. away.

Please don't judge all of us gear heads by the shiny factor of our gear. Some of us are doin our best to give our gear the long term wear and tear that id deserves.

crux_clipper

Apr 27, 2002, 1:07 AM
Post #4 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I work hard for my money every week ,and i make a point ot buy gear that may be a little more expensive then others, not because i want to look cool with new gear, but i know there is quality in such brands as DMM and Wild Country. Because of this want for quality, i have no more money, but i do not go overboard with my gear.

Most of my gear has been purchased with some sort of discount. Otherwise, i would have had to save some more, but still get the same brand. You could have a brand new set of Aliens hanging off your harness, but everyone knows its not the gear that makes the climber.

funk29

Apr 27, 2002, 1:26 AM
Post #5 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nathan,
You are a prime example of a gear-head! For instance, you have much more gear than I own(I read your gear list...) and I have been climbnig for 9 years...
m Barley

funk29

Apr 27, 2002, 1:29 AM
Post #6 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nathan,
is it true you have 3 crash pads? Well when you come to the valley I'll keep my eyes open for you, what kind of van do you have. We'll work on sending "Cocaine corner." I heard your pads will come in useful on that problem. I am planning to be out there, from May 5th to June 5th. It would be cool to do some free climbing.
m Barley

[ This Message was edited by: funk29 on 2002-04-27 08:45 ]

wallhammer

Apr 27, 2002, 1:31 AM
Post #7 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am saddened to see brand new, triple sets of cams hanging from their owners, like a trophy they didnt win.

why would it sadden you? its their money. why shouldnt they be able to enjoy their gear as much as you enjoy climbing? and as for their bailing, i have bailed off a route before because i ran out of steam, why should that concern you. maybe their skills are not up to yours and they bit off a little more than they could chew, and decided the safe course would be to bail. dont take this as an attack, im just saying that indivuality has many forms of expression and you cannot always judge others by your standards. im also jealous you did a "winter" style ascent.

paintinhaler

Apr 27, 2002, 2:13 AM
Post #8 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

really..

fo_d

Apr 27, 2002, 5:09 AM
Post #9 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a whole bunch of brand new shiney gear in my rack, but I wont take offense to the trophy comment, I suppose there are those people out there, we just dont see too much of that here in the midwest. but I have to start somewhere, so I bought new gear when I had the $$ and it will take a little while to scratch it up and make it all dull looking. Just please dont judge all new gear carriers too quickly.

BTW, I love to climb, but I also love playing with the gear too. I guess I'm a gear head, but if I could climb safly without it, I would.

Les

crux_clipper

Apr 27, 2002, 6:00 AM
Post #10 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After reading some more of the posts, i think I have to admit that I myself, am turning into a gear head.

It's not that I am always buying the best, shiniest gear, but whenever I'm bored, I HAVE to get out my rack and have a play with all the gear. I can't help it. I'm thinking of making an organisation...GHA (gear heads anonymous)

bulldog

Apr 27, 2002, 6:42 AM
Post #11 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Geez,
One of the joys of trad climbing is playing with all of the cool toys.
I can't say for sure, but I probably wouldn't enjoy climbing quite as much if it weren't for all of the gadgets and doo-dads to fiddle with. Then putting them to use properly and builing a super-bomber anchor..... ah, me likee.

Bulldog. Guess I'll be a charter member of GHA.

kelv^
Deleted

Apr 27, 2002, 12:43 PM
Post #12 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i really don't see what the problem is with being gear head...people who criticise gear heads are just envious that they don't have as much gear !

atg200

Apr 27, 2002, 1:58 PM
Post #13 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

*yawn*

tell that to the guys walking up 5.12s at indian creek who have 60+ cams. tell that to everyone doing big routes in the fishers - i don't even know what some of the crap even does.

i, on the other hand, am a shameless gear head. my gear climbs way harder than i do. i love gear - i love tinkering with it and finding new things to do with it, and i dearly love buying new stuff to try out. somehow i still manage to bumble up a few hundred pitches or so a year.

funk29

Apr 27, 2002, 3:42 PM
Post #14 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

“Gear-heads climb so the can use their gear. Climbers, us their gear to climb.”

Wallhammer,
I think you are right. I am envious of climbers with the right gear, but not excess there of. In addition, why a person bail from a route is none of my business unless they make it so. In addition, Lord knows that every one has bailed, whether climber or gear-head.

I am just frustarated, in trying to climb with Gear-Heads, maybe that is my mistake. I think, "We could easy do, "X" route." But, then the first cloud comes in the sky they, or the fist flurry, they start talking about bailing, or I end up leading every pitch because they are "so gripped," and by far the worst thing is that when a Gear-Head says, becareful with my TCU's, and dot bend them, or dont scratch this piece.

My onpions are strong but in all honesty I would climb with almost any person I meet. I am just trying to make Climber and Gear-Heads rethink,

"Why do we Climb."

m Barley

[ This Message was edited by: funk29 on 2002-04-27 08:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: funk29 on 2002-04-27 08:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: funk29 on 2002-04-27 08:50 ]

wallhammer

Apr 27, 2002, 4:42 PM
Post #15 of 15 (5031 views)
Shortcut

gear-heads [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, i would love to climb with you sometime as long as you dont scratch my 15 year old forged friends and dont mind leading ALL the pitches cause i developed a pimple on my ass.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook