RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

fredo

Jun 6, 2004, 3:36 AM
Post #1 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Coming home to MD
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howdy..I'll be in Olney visiting with my estranged family from the 7th-19th. Any chance I can hook up with anyone for a day of climbing? Bouldering, sport, trad. Just not sure what to bring with me as far as rack goes. As little as possible as my 2 year old daughters things take up most of the luggage space. Thanks :D

fred

mastheadmike

Jun 6, 2004, 3:55 AM
Post #2 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Re: Coming home to MD [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there,
I am livin in Hyattsville (down 650 and east an exit on the beltway) this summer as an intern down in DC, I suppose I am a noob to the outdoor world, only done toproping, no sport or trad though I wanna start. I have a decent rack and rope here too. If you can't find anyone I am game for the 19th, I work during the week and have plans for the weekend of the 12th. I don't know of any crags around here either. Heard of some out in Carderock, but havn't had the opportunity to look around.
-Mike

ropeburn

Jun 6, 2004, 4:35 AM
Post #3 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To the south Carderock and Great Falls offer toproping. More north, Sugarloaf afords short trad and TR. Multipitch on hot black choss at Maryland Heights in harpers ferry.
PM me just before the weekends and I may be able to come up and hit something up.

reggrocket

Jun 6, 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello all,
I'm in the same kind of position, I'm Back in Northern Va(home for the summer until I go back to school in August). I'm just five minutes away from Great Falls but my only problem is that i don't have a partner. If anyone would like to climb with me at Great falls, or needs a partner for somewhere else nearby email me at Reggrocket@aol.com or post me on this site. I'll do sport, toprope, and I have limited trad experience that i would like to expand. So if any one would like to climb with me, Awesome! Just tell me when.
Chris

bigeastcoastsissy

Jun 6, 2004, 3:58 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Feel free to PM me. I'd definately be up for a day or two at either Carderock, or someplace else. I work in Montgomery County, but live in Harpers Ferry. If you've got a whole day to use, Franklin WV is a GREAT sport area. It's about 2 1/2 hrs from me - mostly down I-81. I've got a full rack (probably 2 full racks), but of course, can't guarantee that my schedule will match yours.
Let me know.

Bryan

fredo

Jun 9, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey All..Good news is I made it to MD, bad news is that Fronteir Airlines lost my luggage. Not sure when it will arrive but they said sometime in the next 4-5 days. Therefore my plans are up in the air at the moment. Not to mention it is pretty effing hot here! :D thanks to all who replied.

fred

jman

Jun 9, 2004, 4:59 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could also always go up to Earthtreks in Columbia, Maryland...about 1/2 hour from Olney...for some good indoor climbing.

robmcc

Jun 9, 2004, 5:00 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
good indoor climbing.

Oxymoron?

Rob

ben87

Jun 9, 2004, 5:20 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

earthtreks is a top-notch gym

mastheadmike

Jun 9, 2004, 6:31 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apparently it is the largest on the east coast...or some other superlative for the east coast, I am not sure. I still haven't made it there but I'd give it a shot, it has been a while since I have seen the inside of a climbing gym.

Partner j_ung

Jun 9, 2004, 6:43 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
good indoor climbing.

Oxymoron?

Rob

No more so than "good Maryland climbing*". Carderock, for example, is a virtual gym. What it lacks in ducktape, A/C and music, it more than makes up for in contrived routes and crowds.

*Annapolis Rox and Rock SP excluded.

old_sloper

Jun 10, 2004, 12:54 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the * on Rocks SP! Never been to Annap Rox, but I live 5 min's from Rocks and I'm up there several times a week - always pokin' around for 'new' routes, 'cause the popular ones are always clogged up this time of year.. Workin on a good one down beneath Big Mama, leadable, fair pro..

gbschmitt

Jun 10, 2004, 1:19 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, RSP is in fact good MD climbing. I'm close by and have some time after work on weekdays if you're interested.

Gert

Partner j_ung

Jun 10, 2004, 1:19 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for the * on Rocks SP! Never been to Annap Rox, but I live 5 min's from Rocks and I'm up there several times a week - always pokin' around for 'new' routes, 'cause the popular ones are always clogged up this time of year.. Workin on a good one down beneath Big Mama, leadable, fair pro..

Ha! No problem OS. Credit where credit is due and all that. :) Check out Annapolis Rocks if you get a chance. Excellent trad routes, though it's mostly a little short. Carderock and GF have their places in the beltway rock hierarchy, I suppose. They're both good for spring-fall after-work shenanigans (if you were closer to DC). Think Illchester :P .

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook