Forums: Climbing Information: General:
What is your level of first aid training...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

off_route

Jun 17, 2004, 5:08 AM
Post #1 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

What is your level of first aid training...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbing can be a dangerous sport. Often you will be far from immediate help or even cell phone (911) reception.

I wonder, what is everyone's level of first aid training? Does anyone care?

What kind of first aid kit and or signaling gear do you carry?

Would you know what to do if your leader fractured his femur during a fall? Do you know how to control bleeding without using a tourniquet?What about an acute episode of emesis with marked AMS secondary to ETOH?

off_route

NREMT-B

alpnclmbr1

Jun 17, 2004, 5:49 AM
Post #2 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is your level of first aid training... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WFR

Not current but I do keep up on it.
Not real good about carrying a first aid kit even though I have a huge one. I get better about it in direct proportion to how far away help is.

Almost all of my backcountry climbing partners have been certified in first aid and avy.

njari

Jun 17, 2004, 6:05 AM
Post #3 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been certified in first aid several times, including taking a 3-month first responder class.

saskclimber

Jun 17, 2004, 6:12 AM
Post #4 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first aid kit ammounts to a couple band-aids in the pocket of my chalkbag incase I get a blister on my foot :oops: I know..I know..this is pretty dumb, but yeah. I'll keep it in mind for next time...maybe

I'm a lifeguard though, so I'm certified up and beyond quiet a bit of the stuff. Hopefully that counts for something...

In reply to:
Would you know what to do if your leader fractured his femur during a fall? Do you know how to control bleeding without using a tourniquet?What about an acute episode of emesis with...

Yeah...I Do

Partner coldclimb

Jun 17, 2004, 6:25 AM
Post #5 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have tape in my pack. Several rolls of it, and some gauze, band-aids, and the little stuff. No training of any sort really, but just yesterday I was forced to read up on taping sprained ankles. I love the internet! ;) I carry a sheep whistle with me, since it's paper thin and sits in my back pocket nicely and is extremely loud, so if I needed to sound like a marmot whistling morse code I can do so. Beyond that, my knowledge is just common sense or the basics of emergency stuff. In theory, I've got the gear and knowledge to pull someone off a wall, but I've never had to try, or ever messed around practicing.

And of course, I'm in good shape, and can run for help really well, as soon as the aforementioned ankle recovers. :wink: :lol: :lol:

onelung

Jun 17, 2004, 6:45 AM
Post #6 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Been CPR/1st aid Q'd for the better part of my life. In my kit I keep Em. Blanket (even in Hawaii), Tape, and very good pain killer.

Generally I feel ready for everything and hope nothing happens. I have practiced getting off weighted line and hauling an unresponsive body.

But how about we all climb safe now?

bill

jookyhead

Jun 17, 2004, 6:58 AM
Post #7 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Been CPR and First Aid qualified for a while. Gone through MOFA (Mountaineering Oriented First Aid). I have a decent first-aid kit, but generally when I'm climbing, my kit consists of duct tape and Ibuprofin.

addiroids

Jun 17, 2004, 7:07 AM
Post #8 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WFR

Probably expired

FIRST AID KIT

Duct tape, wiskey, knife

Anything else would require medical attention and 8 months of med school didn't teach me much, but I can take a mean history!!!!

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

scuclimber

Jun 17, 2004, 7:20 AM
Post #9 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CPR cert. Lots of classes thru BSA back in the day. My mother is an RN so I've learned some things from her. I'm going to take an EMT and WFR class at some point, but haven't gotten to it.

Colin

Partner okie_redneck

Jun 17, 2004, 7:30 AM
Post #10 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Out of date Water Safety Instructor, know infant CPR, etc. My grandmother just sat and cried when my grandfather had a 2nd heart attack and died in front of her because she didn't know CPR despite knowing of his heart disease. Even (especially) a beginning climber needs to know basic rescue tactics. I've been guilty of taking nonclimbers out for safety when they only knew how to belay because I tought them that day. Peventing injury is important. Treating injury when it happens is mandatory

walllizzard

Jun 17, 2004, 8:23 AM
Post #11 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Currently a PA EMT-Paramedic, NREMT-B, 91W10, assorted medical certifications and going to wilderness paramedic this fall. This is my current carreer so i have almost all you can get for pre-hospital provider. I did start out with EMT-Mast certified in PA.

bigeastcoastsissy

Jun 17, 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #12 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NREMT-P, and all of the recert-hell that goes with it. (ACLS, BTLS, PALS, PEPP, PBTLS, etc...) It's half of what I do for a living, so I maintain it for that wonderful pay differential. I'll admit, it's fun, too. As far as first aid, I just carry a few basic essentials, tape, cling wrap, kravats. Anything that requires more than that, the state won't let me carry. Which is fine, as I don't wish to haul a medic unit to the cliff's with me.

In reply to:
What about an acute episode of emesis with marked AMS secondary to ETOH?

This is a goofy throw-together of jargon... but, if it DID happen...There's not much that you'd be able to carry with you that would help until the medics arrived anyhow. (Monitor w/ 12 leads, IV access, drug kit, suction, possibly NG tube) And I would certainly hope that it wouldn't happen ON the rock (ETOH).

dr_feelgood

Jun 17, 2004, 12:27 PM
Post #13 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

EMT-B 91W1P
IMHMO controlling bleeding without a tourniqueit is a nifty thing to do if you are afeared of a lawsuit, but surgeons put them on and remove them all the time. If the bleeding is minor enough, sure, play around with it.

dirtineye

Jun 17, 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #14 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WFR, current.

Your questions are all addressed in the WFR course.

Thanks for drawing attention to the need for training, I wish more climbers would at least do the WFR thing.

HINT: You can't learn this stuff on the internet, really! Just like rescue technique, it's hands on training, and very serious.

organic

Jun 17, 2004, 1:04 PM
Post #15 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am surprised no one has laughed at what off_route has said emesis is jargon for vomitting and AMS is Acute Mountain sickness while ETOH is ethanol so what he is trying to say is someone puking from drinking too much!

kozzy

Jun 17, 2004, 1:58 PM
Post #16 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm an NR-EMT-B. but i think that all you really need is a good baisc first aid course under your belt. Unless you have an AED, combe-tube, backboards, traction splints, and all the fancy stuff in your pack all the extra training to get an EMT certificate isn't really nessesary. A good understanding of the basics and some common sence will go a long way.

Partner j_ung

Jun 17, 2004, 2:01 PM
Post #17 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was NREMT-B and WEMT (from SOLO) when I was guiding fulltime. Now I just set routes at a gym and all of my certs have expired. :oops:

My response to an acute episode of emesis with marked AMS secondary to ETOH is much the same as my response to an acute case of HAFE with occasional HARE -- put on gloves, plug my nose, get 'im down the mountain and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. :D

These days the vast majority of my outdoor activity keeps me within a few hours of the car, so my first aid kit really only contains what I need to improvise BLS and more-than-minor injuries: space blankets, ducktape, maxi pads, triangle bandages, sterile saline and tweezers. (Of course, nobody carries O2 and IVs, which are what you really need! :o ) Anything minor can be patched with ducktape or it can wait till I get home.

If, on the off-chance, I'm out for a longer period of time, I add a few comfort-based and infection-control items.

Partner j_ung

Jun 17, 2004, 2:03 PM
Post #18 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a good thread, BTW. I hope it encourages people to at least take the standard 1st aid and CPR courses.

bthornburn

Jun 17, 2004, 2:10 PM
Post #19 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Employer-provided training for Primary Care Paramedic (minus IV's - employer too cheap to pay for protocol pay). Also a Registered Respiratory Therapist (which means -zip- anywhere outside the hospital).

I'm with 'bigeastcoastsissy' - if you're at the local crag an ambulance is likely withtin 30 min away - all you need is to watch the ABCs. If you're futher away, anything that stops the victim from walking, is a MAJOR Search and Rescue mission. All you can do is watch the ABCs. Otherwise bandaids and minor dressings are the most useful. My 1st aid kit is about half the size of a kleenex box.

Oh- I do carry Epi, since I actually DO have a protocol for that!

Partner rocdaug

Jun 17, 2004, 2:16 PM
Post #20 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've taken the wilderness First Responder course which included a CPR certification. ...I should go for the refresher. :oops:
I used to carry a full-blown kit. but now i just carry a sam splint, duct tape, guaze, second skin, ibruprophin(sp?), tylynol(sp?), and some bandaids.

flamer

Jun 17, 2004, 2:20 PM
Post #21 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

EMT-B this is part of my job as a fireman.

What first aid stuff do I carry? Nothing!

You don't need anything for the ABC's. Stopping bleeding W/O a turniqet?
Find the artery and pitch that bad boy off, let the platlets do there job and voila!

Only thing I think about carrying is gloves...who knows what you nasty mo'deckers have!!

josh

bigga

Jun 17, 2004, 2:23 PM
Post #22 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Training in the army, and we had to go through a refreshers course every month or so, and then I had to give the courses to my soldiers. I don't believe though that I am up to date or if my memory of it is as good as it should be.

As far as kit... me and my partner just shoved anything usefull spare that we could find from my family ( they're mostly doctors), haven't had to use anything yet. ( sport climbing seems to be less accident prone)

gottarock

Jun 17, 2004, 2:30 PM
Post #23 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

have current WFR cert. plus CPR.

carry a basic kit in my climbing pack w/ mask, gloves, irrigation syringe and assorted pads, gauze and tape. primarily abbrasion related stuff. it weighs next to nothing.

length and scope of trip determine if a larger kit is necessary.

after many years of backcountry skiing and a couple years of rock climbing I have been fortunate to only need the knowledge and first aid kit on a few occaisions.... but would have been screwed without it!

omenbringer

Jun 17, 2004, 9:05 PM
Post #24 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a current WFR cert and am a CPR instructor. As far as my first aid kit, I dont mind carrying heavy 50 lbs. packs (due to the military). I carry more than I will ever need, BP kit, CPR kit, plenty of non-perscription meds, huge trauma kit (enough for probably 10 people) and am adding even more. Probably never going to need it, like that number 6 WC cam, though oprotunity will always show up when I dont bring it.

gds

Jun 17, 2004, 9:16 PM
Post #25 of 72 (4471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WFA & CPR
Lots of old red cross & military.
I have standard 1st aid kits of varying sizes packed all over.
One of those even came with an XTERRA

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook