shakylegs

Jun 22, 2004, 3:11 PM
Post #26 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Re: Girlfriends of climbers who really do climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why is that? Is that really the sad state of the male ego? sheesh.

Gosh, I love sweeping generalisations about the opposite sex.
But, no, honestly, Cathy, that skirt does look lovely on you. And no, it doesn't make your ass look big. There, is your ego stroked now? Because, lest we forget, all men are pigs and all women have appearance issues.
Phew, glad we got that out of the way.

cathy

Jun 22, 2004, 3:24 PM
Post #27 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

But, no, honestly, Cathy, that skirt does look lovely on you. And no, it doesn't make your ass look big. There, is your ego stroked now? Because, lest we forget, all men are pigs and all women have appearance issues.

OK, so you're right. The sweeping generalization obviously does not apply to all men any more than the cute belay bunny who can't climb applies to all women climbers. Yet, I maintain there is some truth to both. I mean, I didn't start this thread, I just posed a possible (and partial) explanation for the "girlfriend who really can't climb" syndrome: it partially reflects what the boyfriends are selecting for.

jessicagrace

Jun 22, 2004, 3:43 PM
Post #28 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did see this at the gym last night. Bleach blond girl wearing white hot pants and a hot pink tank top. I looked at her harness. It was touching bare skin all around. That's got to hurt. She's trying 5.7s, but not making it up the wall and asking to be let down. Meanwhile, she's belaying him on 5.12s. Then there was the gym quote of the year (not from this woman, but another). AS she was struggling to hold on with her inch long manicured nails, she whined loudly, "But if I cut my nails, how am I going to scratch your back?" Oh boy, did this guy blush!

But there are many of us out there who do really climb. I'm not pulling hard yet, but I go out on my own...sometimes even boulder in the rain and have bouldered (ALONE), even when it was below freezing this past winter. There are many girls in our circle who climb as hard as their men, or who are single and climb hard.

shakylegs

Jun 22, 2004, 3:44 PM
Post #29 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, yes and no, but I think part of the "problem" is the only-recent influx of women into the sport. Their choice of mentors is limited to men. (generalisation!)
However, looking around at crags and at the gym, I think the pendulum will swing the other way in 5-10 years, because it seems to me that the young hard climbers these days are girls climbing with their dads or moms (ex: edge, madriver, gblauer, others).

dirtineye

Jun 22, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #30 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

OK, so you're right. The sweeping generalization obviously does not apply to all men any more than the cute belay bunny who can't climb applies to all women climbers. Yet, I maintain there is some truth to both. I mean, I didn't start this thread, I just posed a possible (and partial) explanation for the "girlfriend who really can't climb" syndrome: it partially reflects what the boyfriends are selecting for.

What a riot.

My experience is that many women who pretend to climb are intimidated by guys that climb even remotely hard. Every guy I know would prefer to have a girl who can climb as hard or harder than he does. I have stated many times and not always in jest that I would like to find a girlfriend climber who can drag me up stuff. There are many men who enjoy seeing their girl succeed and even surpass them. When you have a REAL relationship, you support your partner.

Here's a clue though: Climbing regularly with someone of either sex who seriously out climbs you tends to have it's own issues. Note that these issues are independent of gender.

CLIMBERS generally prefer an equal or near equal partner. See, that word, CLIMBER, it has no gender.

Thank goodness there are a few women on this board who really can climb, and some who really want to learn and improve, and who don't worry about the gender issues. There are men for these women, the problem is geting the firefies with matching blinks together hahaha.

jessicagrace

Jun 22, 2004, 4:04 PM
Post #31 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a lot of truth to that!

shorty

Jun 22, 2004, 4:21 PM
Post #32 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe there are so few girlfriends who actually climb because there are so few boyfriends who really want an equal partner?
You're darn tootin' right! I want a rope gun girlfriend who will drag my sorry backside up monster jughauls, finger-crippling crimpfests, Depends-filling runout slabs, flesh-ripping offwidths, and lichen-covered alpine choss blocks. A gal who will calmy hang out on leads that would bring me to I-want-my-mommy tears, and keep the rope tight as I whimper through the dicey sections. But I will lead sinker hand cracks, if allowed to.

I don't want a belay Betty -- I want to be the belay Bubba.

And so my fragile male ego won't be bruised too badly, I do promise to hump the rope and rack up to the base of climbs. Gotta make me feel like I'm contributing to the team. (Mongo haul gear, Mongo belay good, Mongo protect rope gun from killer rabbits with huge biting fangs.)

Yeah, that's it. Equal partner? ppppffffftttt.

jumpingrock

Jun 22, 2004, 4:40 PM
Post #33 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trust community to turn a completly non-serious thread into a pointed debate about sexism in the climbing community. Carry on this is interesting.

bumblie

Jun 22, 2004, 4:59 PM
Post #34 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mongo like sheriff shorty. Him pal.

shakylegs

Jun 22, 2004, 5:04 PM
Post #35 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mongo shy.

yanqui

Jun 22, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #36 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yet, I maintain there is some truth to both. I mean, I didn't start this thread, I just posed a possible (and partial) explanation for the "girlfriend who really can't climb" syndrome: it partially reflects what the boyfriends are selecting for.

I have seen examples of this: one time my wife and I met up with 'Flaco' (name-change to protect the innocent), his girlfriend (and future wife) and a group of male climbing companions at a nearby crag. This was girlfriend's first trip to the crag.

Gaby (my wife) and I had just finished a climb that starts off around 10a and finishes off at bouldery 5.11, when Flaco and the group showed up. The rope was still in place, and, with some gibing from Flaco and the group, the poor girl gets convinced to try the route on top rope, inspite of Gaby's insistence that the route was too difficult for a beginner. Hey: Gaby had just cranked the route. Of course the girlfriend got spanked terribly on the 5.10a opening moves, was frustrated and humiliated and ended up deciding climbing wasn't for her. Gaby and I tried to explain that easier climbs could be fun, but it's hard to understand this without the relevant experience. And in all honesty, when I brought it up with Flaco he said he preferred that his girlfriend didn't climb. Go figure.

There was some poetic justice though: Flaco ended up having to pull on the draw to pass the bouldery 5.11 move that Gaby had just cruised.

jessicagrace

Jun 22, 2004, 5:36 PM
Post #37 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, there is that group, as well. The men who DON'T want their women to climb because they DON'T want them at the crag...they want it to be a guy thing...whatever. Oddly, I have one friend who felt that way, but once he met "the right girl", he wanted her to learn to climb.

bumblie

Jun 22, 2004, 6:08 PM
Post #38 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes, there is that group, as well. The men who DON'T want their women to climb because they DON'T want them at the crag...they want it to be a guy thing...whatever. Oddly, I have one friend who felt that way, but once he met "the right girl", he wanted her to learn to climb.

Good point. So ladies, when your boyfriend prefers to go climbing with "the boys", it's not your gender, it's just you.

katydid

Jun 22, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #39 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Good point. So ladies, when your boyfriend prefers to go climbing with "the boys", it's not your gender, it's just you.

Hell, I WANT my boyfriend to go climbing with the boys sometimes. He climbs harder than I do. It's not fair to hold back his progress by monopolizing him and forcing him to stay on my level.

As long as he doesn't climb with ONLY the boys. Then I would be pissy. :P

k.

jessicagrace

Jun 22, 2004, 7:45 PM
Post #40 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, well this started out as ONLY the boys. His girl doesn't climb much. She's yet to become one that really climbs.

Mine, has yet to go without me, except at the gym. I boulder without him rather frequently (I have more free time).

climbsomething

Jun 22, 2004, 8:46 PM
Post #41 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Its all in your definition of "really do climb"

-Kate.
This bears repeating, as much Kate wisdom does ;)

andy_lemon

Jun 22, 2004, 8:50 PM
Post #42 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the perfect happy medium for "time apart" is a climber finding a girlfriend who doesn't climb... or vice versa.

shakylegs

Jun 22, 2004, 8:56 PM
Post #43 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Um, no. That leads to breakups. Well, for some of us.

jessicagrace

Jun 22, 2004, 8:57 PM
Post #44 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In this specific instance, they've been together 18 months, and she's climbed 3 times. I don't think that qualifies as really climbing. I don't think there will be any arguements on that.

As far as time apart goes, you don't need one to be a climber and the other not, to get that. My boyfriend has several other activities (ie swimming, running, squash, bike racing) that I do not participate in...and he does not attempt to create art, while I'm doing that. We each have our own stuff, outside of our shared interest of climbing.

andy_lemon

Jun 22, 2004, 8:57 PM
Post #45 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, your on this site so much I don't ever see how you could take a 2 day trip so that obviously eliminates "time apart". I think the problem lies elsewhere with your women.

DR. ADVICE

cantbuymefriends

Jun 23, 2004, 11:42 AM
Post #46 of 46 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My experience is that many women who pretend to climb are intimidated by guys that climb even remotely hard. Every guy I know would prefer to have a girl who can climb as hard or harder than he does. I have stated many times and not always in jest that I would like to find a girlfriend climber who can drag me up stuff. There are many men who enjoy seeing their girl succeed and even surpass them. When you have a REAL relationship, you support your partner.

Here's a clue though: Climbing regularly with someone of either sex who seriously out climbs you tends to have it's own issues. Note that these issues are independent of gender.

CLIMBERS generally prefer an equal or near equal partner. See, that word, CLIMBER, it has no gender

Hear, hear!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook